Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

Stains on floors.

I'm currently painting up my Stones dungeon terrain tiles, and one of the things I want to do to give some of the individual tiles some character is have various stains on some of the tiles - blood, rust, oil, etc.

What I've been doing on my test piece that is painted the same way I'm painting my Stones (Black base coat, drybrushed with three shades of Grey (Dark is 3:1 Black to white, mid is 1:1 Black to white and Light is 3:1 White to Black) is using thinned paint and letting it evaporate/dry. I'm making the stains by putting a drop of paint mixed at about 10:1 on the tile, then blowing on it to "scatter" the drop organically, then letting it dry.

So far, this technique is giving me stains that look natural for rust and oil, but not so much for blood.

For rust, I'm using MSP Pumpkin orange - I didn't count the drops, but I think it's thinned between 9-12 ratio.

For oil, I'm using MSP Brown Liner - that was 10:1.

I've tried several different colors for blood now, and am having no luck. The best one so far is 1:1:15 MSP Carnage Red, MSP Dark Skin and water, but even that looks off.

I did discover that MSP paints work better for this than any of my other paints, but I don't have a huge palette of MSP colors to try.

thoughts? ideas?

I know that James Wappel uses a lot of the Secret Weapon Washes for staining on his bases. I'd probably look to the Blood Red wash as ced says.

Ooh - I actually have some Tamiya clear red. I didn't try that.

But won't that come out too red for old blood stains?

Blood gets more purple and duller as it ages.  If I were painting old blood stains I would use Mars Violet.  I'm not sure what the corresponding premixed paint might be.

• Like 1

Blood gets more purple and duller as it ages.  If I were painting old blood stains I would use Mars Violet.  I'm not sure what the corresponding premixed paint might be.

Probably something like P3 Sanguine Base.

Also, this sounds facetious, but try... Bloodstain Red. 

Bingo Pingo...

I have an MSP sample color from a few years back that is similar to Mars Violet.

It hasn't dried on my sample piece yet, but it looks a lot like what I was going for.

• Like 2

Not at all - I was actually looking at that in the store, but wasn't sure, and decided to ask opinions before I ordered.

Not at all - I was actually looking at that in the store, but wasn't sure, and decided to ask opinions before I ordered.

I love Bloodstain Red, its one of my favorite reds, though I admit I have never used it to make actual bloodstains. It's a very dark but still pretty saturated red, not brownish. It's similar to old GW Red Gore, maybe a bit darker like Scab Red. 

Ooh - I actually have some Tamiya clear red. I didn't try that.

But won't that come out too red for old blood stains?

Mix Tamiya Clear Red with some brown or black.

I personally prefer Spattered Crimson for a lot of my blood needs (actually just subdued reds in general, I find a lot of my collection overly bright).

I wonder if anyone's mixed red paint into thinned yellow ink for simulated blood? Real blood is made of red blood cells suspended in yellow plasma.

The purple worked to satisfaction. Better in fact - they could be blood, but they could also be something else. If I get a chance later on, I'll take some pics and post them.

I have no idea what the purple is called, but I have two vials of it - they were sample bottles from Reaper orders a few years back.

• Like 1

The purple worked to satisfaction. Better in fact - they could be blood, but they could also be something else. If I get a chance later on, I'll take some pics and post them.

I have no idea what the purple is called, but I have two vials of it - they were sample bottles from Reaper orders a few years back.

That would make them...."Samples".  :devil:

Samples being a paint batch that was mixed wrong or one of Anne's experiments when she was working to achieve a specific color.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

There is a Secret Weapon wash that looks like a darker dried blood color. I would think tamiya clear is too shiny, like new blood.

Being a night nose bleeder I can tell you that my pillow has brownish red stains on it :)

Edited by Bathory