So, I've been invited to the FLCS to play in an Age of Sigmar scenario.  I've never played before, and I don't own many GW minis.  I was told that this would not be a problem.  Right o' then.  Then next step was to figure out what run.  Evidently for the scenario I needed to bring some sort of Hero and a pair of units with the minimum number of models to make up each.

I downloaded the rules (all four pages of them, shocking coming from GW) and all of the Warscrolls (army lists basically).  Reading through the Warscrolls, I finally hit upon something that I already had models for.  Orcs.  I went in on the Orcpocolypse in Bones 1, and all of those excellent Tre Manor orcs were just sitting there, asking for paint.  I quickly decided on a list of two units of Black Orcs (5 models each) and a Hero, Grimgore Ironhide, to be played by 77064 Kavorgh Orc Warboss.

For the units, I'm going with 77051 Orc Stalker and 77042 Orc Marauder.  One model in each troop is a Black Ork Boss and hey will be represented by 77059 Orc Berserker.

The game is on Saturday at 1300 (1pm).  I figure that I have to leave by noonish to get there, so I have approx. 14 hours to get them done....and get some sleep.  I plan on using some of the techniques that I learned at RCon during the Army Painting class I took from Aaron.

I'll try and post pictures as I go along, but depending on how much of a roll I find myself on, they may be far and few between.  As of right now, all figures have been boiled, scrubbed and given a coat of Blue Liner.  I went with the Blue vice the Brown as I tink it will help out with the base colors.  The Black Orks will all have dark skin, steel weapons and armor and leather accessories  So I' keeping it basic.  I plan of starting with the skin, moving onto the weapons and armor and finishing with the belts, boot and fur capes.  We shall see how he plan survives contact with the enemy.

Figures as they stand now, while waiting for the Liner to finish drying.

Black%20Orcs.JPG

And in taking the picture it appears that I made a made a mistake and prepped 5 Stalkers and only 3 Marauders.  There was supposed to be 4 of each.  Oh well, onward!  Paint appears to be dry so next step is flesh.  I'm going to try Dark Elf Skin first and if that doesn't work, I'll wing it.

• Like 10

Still clawin' my way through this bunch... I look forward to seeing how your effort comes out!

• Like 1

Thanks Doc. 

Skin is basecoated.  I'll do a wash then a highlight and see how it looks.

ETA: Ad with the skin shading done, my back and eyes are telling me it's time to go to sleep.  I shall continue in the morning.  I am confident that I can get them to a playable state, so long as I don't end up sleeping in.

• Like 1

Good Luck @ Sarge's?

Must positively hurt a Navy guy to walk into an Army store.... ::P:

Considering that the Sarge in question is from Beetle Bailey, no not too much.

I live, am consuming caffeine, an am about to get metal.  Painting metal that is.

• Like 3

Skin and metal plates.  Skin so far is Dark Elf Skin with Dark Elf Shadow.  If I have time, I'll highlight some more with Dark Elf Highlight.

Metal plates and boots are Scorched Metal.

Chainmail is next.  Down and dirty drybrushing is all that will get.

Black%20orks%202.JPG

• Like 6

Weapons done: Adamantium Black.

Chain mail done: Tarnished Steel

Leather wraps, belts, pouches, hilt wrappings done (honestly, could use another coat for better coverage, but good enough): Leather Brown

Cloth and furs still remaining.  I tried a light brown for fur and did not like it.  I'll have to figure out a grey to go with it.  For the cloth, I keep going back and forth between red and blue.  Maybe a I'll do one set of each.

I think I will stop for the moment.  I need to shower before I head out (can't be the stereotypical gamer now) and I need to start packing things up.  I think I'll be bringing some Frostgrave stuff as well.  Just in case.

In addition to the above outstanding items, I'm going to give the flesh another level of highlights, and do some lighter metallic edging on the weapons.  That will have to wait until either tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 3

Nice Speed painting!

Did you win?

I did not.  Though I did have a decent showing.  The scenario was thus:  The forces of Order (Dwarves and Empire) had a Relic on a wagon and were running from the forces of Chaos (Chaos Demons of Khorne and Tzenitch).  As wiards suppressing the Relics powers were dead, the Relic opened a portal that the forces of Death/Destruction (in this case, my Orks could use to enter the field one unit at a time).  The forces of Order need to defeat the forces of Order.  The forces of Chaos need to retrieve the Relic.  The forces of Destruction needed to basically kill things, bonus points for acquiring the Relic. 

I should have brought more forces.  There were Generals and Demon Lords and Wizards on Dual Headed Griffins.  I had two units of black orks and a hero.  I spent most of the time working my up to the battle.  My Black Orks were glass cannons.  When they attacked (assuming I positioned my hero to buff them properly) they had 11 attack hitting on a 2+ and wounding on a 3+ with a rend of -1 (defender's armor save at -1).  One unit and my Hero were able to take out a Demon Lord in one round of combat.  One something attacks them though they tend to go down pretty quickly as they only have one wound each.

The game plays prett fast, assuming you are familiar with your army's abilities.  One thing that I found interesting, is that if you are a unit that ca cast spells, shoot and fight in melee, you can do all three of these things, even if you are in combat!  Also, when in combat there is an I go, you go order for attacks in melee.  It took a little getting used to, especially when there were 5 players, but I can see the game moving along pretty quickly.  I downloaded the free rules and free army lists (warscrolls) from the Black Library.

I'm definitely interested giving it another couple of games.  I will most likely proxy minis though as GW prices have gotten even more out of hand than I remember.  I looked at what a box of Orks was going for at the store and saw that it was $29.  I thought that that wasn't too bad until I looked closely and found out that was only for a sprue of 10 figures!  So 2.90 a figure when I can get the Tre Manor Black Orcs for  $2.79 each.

I'll be going through my Bones (1 and 2) and pulling out things that I can use to make up some units.  I have trolls and giants, and supposedly there is some sort of demon spider that has Caladrax written all over it.  So if anything, it at least gives me motivation to paint some figures.  I call that a win.

• Like 2

Hey, thanks. The store owner just told me on Wednesday that there is some sort of point value thing for games that they are using at the store for games so maybe, I won't be totally out classed. Now I just need to paint all of the things. Including more orcs.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they're letting players use proxies. Used to be, GW events were sacred at any FLGS that held them; NO proxies, PAINTED models (which led to any number of Primer Grey Armies), and so forth.

On the other hand, I've seen more than a few stores get fed up with the GW business model...

The store owner likes to play. He doesn't care if figs are painted or proxies; as long as he gets a chance to beat up on someone, he is happy. (he was the guy that had 3 Griffin riding wizards in the first game).

• Like 1