Sign in to follow this  
Vil-hatarn

Gauss Rotary Cannon Size

Vil, just be careful of range. For a short time they bumped the Rhino's range up to 20 inches and the impact it had was crazy. It owned about every weapon at all ranges just due to that small change.

Ranges have been a major focus during revisions, and yeah, adjustments in the 12-20 inch region have a massive impact. Fear not, there's no danger of a range increase on either the Rhino or the Emperor; even at 16 inches their current RAV is so high they remain effective at most ranges seen on a normal board. The current thought is to reduce their numerical bonus to be more in line with a regular high-end GC, with the new Wrecker SA drastically increasing their damage output at shorter ranges. As for the Emperor vs. Rhino, I thought they might trade GRC stats, so that the Rhino has +1 RAV, while the Emperor has Blaster. Feels more in-line with how I'd like each model to play and I think helps compensate for the Rhino's resiliency with Hardened Armor and DV 14.

I think you might be mis-remembering things Papabees. In RC08 (1.2) we increased the Rhino's range to 20" but we also increased the range of every other GC in the game by 4".  In 1.0-1.1 the ave GC was 20" and RGC was 16", which was then modified by UCOR and/or Faction. For 2.0 we upped those to 24" and 20" respectively, and again modified them by UCOR and Faction (but those modifers were slightly different this time.

In the first 2 versions the Emperor always had a 20" range w/the Rhino was at 16". In 1.2 we made them both 20".  

It owned about every weapon at all ranges just due to that small change.

As it should. Those two guns are supposed to be the peak of military might. There were efficient ways of countering them though. 

The one thing that a lot of people did complain about was that the Rhino/Emperor always one on a 4x4 table, which was true. But we were always straight up that the standard play area should be 6x4, if not 8x4. On a 6' table, PBG models had a chance to whittle down a Rhino/Emperor before they could close to range. (along w/IA and Strikes)

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the chronological order was but I remember that the change basically made the Rhino boss on a 6ft table or less. You lose 12 inches on a 72" board for deployment zones, so what advantage do my PBGs with a 6 RAV and 32" range have? At 64" I have a 4 RAV and with the Rhino I had 4 RAV at 60 with Wrecker. It basically took away any advantage that PBGs had. With a range of 16" you had the opportunity to maneuver. 

• Like 1

I'm with papabees on this one; GRCs came with at least a 2-point RAV advantage over PBGs (more if considering anything weaker than the Ogre) making them equivalent or superior until you hit the fourth range band, a distance only applicable when shooting diagonally from deployment zone to deployment zone. Despite this, the PBG likely cost 50% more due to how range was incorporated into the weapon formulas. Meanwhile, it's not economical to 'whittle down' a Rhino when your strikes and IA all need 10s to damage, and becomes downright impossible when you incorporate the Hardened Armor SA.

Acknowledging the reality that 8' tables aren't really practical, I've rebalanced ranges assuming no more than a 4x6 table. As a result, I elected to reduce nearly all ranges (including machine guns) by 4", such that shorter-ranged weapons are actually affected by the no-auto-10-beyond-long-range clause. I've also reworked the cost of longer-ranged weapons; beyond 16 or 20 inches, range costs become additive, not multiplicative, due to severely diminishing returns. Still tweaking but initial results are promising...

RGC vs PBG: No, they are not equal. They were never designed to be equal. GRC's > GC > PBG > GGC > LBG.  If all of the weapons were supposed to be exactly the same - or even balanced exactly the same against each other - then there's no reason for different weapons and a points system.  If you want to move the Range back down to 16 I'd only do it on the Rhino, not the Emperor. That way you'll have 2 models w/the same weapon type that perform totally differently from each other. 

As for how to kill a Rhino, one thing has never changed since CAV 1. Throw some Tsuisekis at it.

Of course weapons should be different; though that variation can come as differences in strict power level or as differences in range, special abilities, RAV vs. Piercing/Shredder. I would personally present it as GRC > GC = PBG > GGC = LBG, with the energy weapons possessing the range advantage and the gauss weaponry the sheer firepower but otherwise being relatively well matched. But that's really an aside; I think the issue here is not that anyone thinks GRCs shouldn't be deadly terrifying to go up against, but rather that as of RC08 the point system did not balance them appropriately. After all, how else could the Ogre cost 50 points MORE than the Rhino despite having less MOV, a lower DV, and weaponry which only has the advantage beyond 60"?

Something has to be the deadliest model in the game, and I'm fine with that being the Rhino, but it has to pay for it.

Vil, just be careful of range. For a short time they bumped the Rhino's range up to 20 inches and the impact it had was crazy. It owned about every weapon at all ranges just due to that small change.

I remeber this change well. It made the Rhino's a nightmare at a much larger range. With the high RAV it chewed up everything before you could get into a prime band to have a shot at hurting it.

• Like 1