TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Feb

FQ15: Alarm goes off at 5:30, shower, [REDACTED], brush teeth, should be out by about 6, wife gets up to take her turn, I get dressed (and check Facebook a little), then go pack the kiddo's lunch, and make coffee, then it's only the road to head to work (about 6:30).

• Like 2

Depending on the needs of my jobs, I get up anywhere between 6pm (for overnight sets, doesn't happen often) and 10 am (when I am closing for DG and don't have anything else to do). But as I usually do t get home till 11pm if I am working at DG and generally have to be up before 6 for my other job. I can't say that I really get much sleep. There have been days when I worked all day on 30 minutes of sleep, and some few others where it has been 2-3 days without. I don't recommend it.

• Like 2

Feb. 15: What time/how do you start you day?

When I'm working (assuming day shift), I generally get up about an hour and a half to two hours before i start work depending on travel time. I like to take my time waking up - I set the five alarms on my phone for every five minutes after the first one, in case I fall back asleep and because I usually like to take five or ten minutes to just stand up and stretch and yawn and mentally organize my schedule for the day before I jump in the shower, get dressed, eat breakfast (if I have time) and head to work.

On days off, I try not to sleep in too late since I have a hard time getting back onto my usual sleep schedule once I go off it.

When I'm not working, it depends on whether or not I need to get up and get things done very early in the day.

• Like 3

The only thing I've ever made in the kitchen is a mess...and several fires.

Back in ninth grade or so, it's 11pm. I decide to make popcorn. Toss it in the microwave, set time, go back to homework. A couple minutes later I don't hear popping so I go look. It's not just smoking, it's on fire. So like any logical course of action I take a picture before throwing it in the general direction of the sink before putting it out. It smelled for weeks.

• Like 7

Well, I'm not exactly sure why this happened, guess maybe the glass wasn't tempered or the oven was too hot, but years ago when I was first starting to cook I had decided to bake some chicken in the oven. After a bit I opened the oven to check on it. Now my reflexes in those days were faster and good thing. I heard the cracking of glass and immediately jumped to the side of the oven. BOOM, the glass casserole exploded and sent shards of glass out of the front of the oven like a claymore mine. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, but I was cleaning up shards of glass for days.

• Like 7

Well, it wasn't me, but Awesome Wife had the $3000 light bulb.

We have a glass cooktop set in our kitchen island, right next to the sink. Over the island, we have three hanging light fixtures. The bulb nearest the cooktop had burnt out. Now, Awesome Wife makes no bones about the fact that she married me in part to add some height to the bloodline. "Tall person jobs" are kind of my thing in our household. I was out to sea at the time though.

So she gets out the step ladder. That gets her high enough, but she still doesn't have the reach to get to the fixture. So she kneels on the counter top. Slides over a little bit. Takes out the light bulb and reaches for the new one. As she does so she moves her knee, placing it first on and then through the glass cook top. Cue cursing.

So, so of course, the model cook top that we had, was both large and no longer in production. All of the available replacements were smaller and did not fit the existing countertop cutout. So we needed a new countertop as well. Since she was changing the countertop, she decided to change the sink as well.

• Like 10

12th, I have gone fishing in the past

13th, the weekend "plan" was stay inside and away from the cold.

15th, my alarm goes off at 4 and I make coffee.  take my time getting ready for work, out the door at 6.

edit

16th, my wife burned the kitchen when a poptart got stuck in the toaster she was not watching.  cabinets were a total loss

Edited by wargamer
  • Like 3

Feb. 16: What was your worst kitchen blunder (feel free to share more than one if you have some good stories)?

Most of my blunders include a knife, and arguing with my wife that I do not need to go get stitches.

The most painful was forgetting that I had turned the oven on to preheat and reaching in to remove the cast iron skillet which is stored in there.

I don't typically make the mixed up ingredient type of errors because I am very organized and it is my kitchen. Things are where I want them since I am head chef and dishwasher.

• Like 8

The dumbest thing I've ever done is putting a knife pointy end up in the dish dryer. Then stabbing myself in the arm.

The second dumbest was the oily pot that boiled over and started a fire on the burner. But that's what baking soda is for.

• Like 3

Well, I'm not exactly sure why this happened, guess maybe the glass wasn't tempered or the oven was too hot, but years ago when I was first starting to cook I had decided to bake some chicken in the oven. After a bit I opened the oven to check on it. Now my reflexes in those days were faster and good thing. I heard the cracking of glass and immediately jumped to the side of the oven. BOOM, the glass casserole exploded and sent shards of glass out of the front of the oven like a claymore mine. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, but I was cleaning up shards of glass for days.

My wife had something similar one time, about 3 weeks before we moved out of a place she shared with other folks and into an apartment with just us and one other (then-)friend. She'd put a roast in the oven in a tempered glass dish (we were students, it was the best option available at the time ::P: ) and about 20 minutes later we heard a small explosion and went to check it out... The top of the roast was burnt, the inside hadn't even begun to warm up, there were pieces of glass everywhere, and once we'd gotten everythign cooled off and started cleaning up, we noticed that some of the pieces of glass were distorted, like they'd melted a bit.

We ate out every night for the next 3 weeks, because of course the landlord wouldn't replace the oven. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

FQ16: I once ended up making a dish that burned so badly to the bottom of the pan that I ended up just throwing the pan away...I don't remember what the dish was, but I'd tried everything to get the pan clean, and nothing worked, charred, blackened mess, soaked for days and it still was carbonized former food.

• Like 2

Feb 13: So, what-cha doin' this weekend?

Managed to catch a showing of Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet at a small theater. Stunningly good. I guess it shows my taste that I took the fiancee to that rather than to Deadpool. Had a great dinner after, as well. Great date day: thanks, presidents!

Feb. 16: What was your worst kitchen blunder (feel free to share more than one if you have some good stories)?

Flipping a roast in that I was browning in a cast iron dutch oven, it slipped and splashed oil against the back side of the pot...which then ricocheted into my face. Luckily I was wearing glasses at the time and have been burned enough to know first aid (growing up with fireplaces and wood stoves).

Took a shot of boiling oil across most of the left side of my face. Immediately immersed it in running cold water etc. Happened before RCon '14, so many of you know I kept my beauty intact due to my quick action! But man, I thought I was in for it for a while. Hurt soooo bad. Do not recommend.

• Like 6

I was involved for quite some time with a twelve step program. At that time I was recently separated & my adventures in the kitchen were the stuff of legend. A few of the Girls in my group told me they lived for/loved my cooking stories...SO I have a collection of them. The most dramatic came from adding some still wet Irish potatoes to a pan with VERY hot oil.; the resulting flash flame was enlightening.

The most memorable was spilling the oil from a pan of french fries on my foot & ankle. When I finally got around to seeing a doctor about the resulting burns. His question was "how were the fries?" "Pretty good all things considered" was the response.

• Like 5

When young, I was opening a bottle of Port for my parents. At the time, we had an air-pressure cork remover. The idea was that you pumped air into the bottle and the cork slid right out. This generally worked great.

But. Port, or at least the Port we had, came in a flat-sided bottle, not the usual, radially symmetric wine bottle. In a radially symmetric bottle, when you raise the pressure, the shape means that any stresses are evenly distributed, so round bottles can handle wide pressure variations. Flat-sided bottles try to stretch themselves to radial symmetry, which doesn't work as well as you might think.

The bottle blew up, spraying glass and wine all over the kitchen. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but when we moved out a couple of years later, we found stains and debris from that explosion behind top-shelf things 10' away horizontally and 6' vertically from the explosion.

• Like 6