TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Feb

Feb. 18: What's on you home improvement/fix/get-the-landlord's-attention list for 2016?

I have so many things to build.  Right now I'm working on a decorative perfume bottle display shelf for my wife.  After that, I'll build a rocking horse for my new niece (for when she's older).  Then it'll probably be a new workbench for my table saw, along with a fence and rail system for the same.  I really want to clear out one side of my workshop and build a long, continuous workbench that'll double as feed tables for my miter and radial arm saws.  There is probably a shelving unit I'll need to build at some point this year as well.

Gah!

• Like 4

Feb. 18: What's on you home improvement/fix/get-the-landlord's-attention list for 2016?

CHICKEN!

• Like 7

Get the land lord to fix the 1.5 inch hole in the building front door, get the screens fixed.

• Like 3

Rebuild the front steps.  Railings have rotted away and are just there for decoration.  Fortunately it's only one step up, so it's not a safety thing.  Stairs themselves are solid.  But they were not built with gaps so nothing drains.  That's on my summer queue.

Build some shelves for the "pantry" closet in the kitchen.  It's a really small closet that could be used as a pantry if I put shelves in it.  Free up some of the cabinets for other things.

Build a new raised bed garden for my wife.  The current one is nice, but I want to change its location, and raise it up much higher.  I will use the existing framing of the bed to put a small shed there.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 6

CHICKEN!

A work friend has chickens. She collects pretty chickens (that is seriously how she describes it). And she has way too many eggs :lol:
  • Like 5

CHICKEN!

I'm sensing a pattern of avoidance.

• Like 7

- April: gut and re-tile the kid's bathroom

- May: add another 8 inches to all raised beds (in hopes of keeping the rabbits out without fencing)

- June through September: heal up from the likely back spams and other injuries obtained in April and May.

• Like 8

I admire your willingness for tile work.  That is one of the things that I just find cheaper, easier, and less frustrating to pay someone else to do.

• Like 3

Erm...well...

The kitchen light needs a new glass globe.

We need to clean out a bunch of junk from the craft room. That old computer needs to go away (more a brick than a computer), at which point the desk can go away, at which point we can build the twin bed and have a place to put a guest if need be.

We need to buy a house, but that's not likely to happen this year or next.

• Like 2

Probably adding shelves of some sort in the craft room so that it's currently disastered state can be ... ameliorated.

^_^

• Like 4

I admire your willingness for tile work.  That is one of the things that I just find cheaper, easier, and less frustrating to pay someone else to do.

A few years back (2008), the shower in our master bathroom started leaking into the wall. After investigation, one thing lead to another, and I ended up having to gut the entire bathroom and re-tile it. We did the whole bathroom in travertine stone. Before working on it myself, I had several contractors give me estimates.  The cheapest was $22,000.00.  I proceeded to learn how to tile, bought a tile saw, and did all the work myself (except for sweating 2 valve bodies).  Total cost in the end: $7,000.  Increase in home value: $20,000.  That's what I call sweat equity.

Now the kid's bathroom is having similar issues, and I am going to pull a repeat on that one (only now I have teen labor ::D: ). This time we are going with marble.

• Like 7

We have ordered a new couch.

later I want to replace the freezer cause old and too small..

No real additions or improvements to the house actually.

• Like 1

If we extend the concept to other, non-mini hobbies, my virtual shelf of shame is pretty disturbing. I have a partially completed barrister's bookcase that's been in that state for about 12 years, I've got stories I half-finished at least 15 years ago, I have a stack of completed picture frames and printed pictures just waiting for me to finish mounting the pictures and putting in the matting, plus... I don't even remember what else. I don't feel bad about any of it because every so often I switch hobbies again and suddenly a bunch of old projects get finished. ::):

Heeeeey. I'm not alone on this! *glances furtively at boxes of various unfinished craft projects.* I'm just gonna... close this door so you don't see my pile of posters and frames... Oh and that one cosplay. Oh and that chainmaille stuff. Ohhh.... and that big statue I was going to paint... What? Oh yeah.... My wolf cross stitch... Maybe just a few projects. :rolleyes: 

I'd like to plant some herbs! I've always wanted fresh herbs, 'specially Basil, so that's something I'd love to get set up this spring. These are the first apartments we've been in that aren't... too far on the low end, so seeing everyone's front porches covered with plants comforts me that stuff won't get instantly stolen around here. ^_^

• Like 3

CHICKEN!

so, is this chicken a demand, "give me some chicken", a distraction, "hey look a chicken", an offer, "do you want some chicken", or an insult, "you're chicken"?

• Like 3