Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Feb

Feb. 16: What was your worst kitchen blunder (feel free to share more than one if you have some good stories)?

nothing really interesting. I've burned a few things bad enough that I needed to throw them out and start again.

• Like 2

A very funny kitchen blunder that I was witness to, but did not initiate was when I was working in the locked pedi/adol psych hospital.  One of our kids was having some cramping issues, but couldn't give them a hot water bottle because of safety precautions, so she was given a heated towel.  Well, rookie nurse decides to heat up the towel by putting it, dry, in the microwave, setting it to like 3 minutes, and walking out.

I am in the room with the microwave running a group as this happens.  I look up and see the microwave full of dark smoke, and some is starting to escape the microwave.  I noticed the burning smell, but the kids hadn't yet.

So I get up, and turn off the microwave, and calmly end the group, and call the nurse in.

Who completely freaks out.

So I go and open all the windows, which requires a special key, since all windows are double secured.  Crank the fume hood.  Have the staff prep our noise sensitive kids in case the alarm triggers.  We get them all in the lounge watching TV, knowing something is up, but not sure, because Mike is never super calm, unless somethings bad is about to happen.

I grab a fire extinguisher, just in case.

Open the microwave.

Big gouts of black smoke.  Towel is solid black, smoldering in spots, fortunately didn't burst into flames once the door opened up.

I'm laughing my arse off.  The nurse is in almost total panic.  Room reeked for a couple days.

But on the plus side, if you ever need to make some tinder cloth, apparently a microwave is a pretty good tool.

• Like 13

Our Panasonic microwave melted its glass turntable back around 1990 or so.

I was in the habit of heating up microwaveable pot pies, the sort that come in cardboard pie plates, no metal whatsoever, for lunch while working on the computer. One day I popped one on to the glass turntable, started it, and sat down to compute.

After a time I realized that it had been in there an awfully long while without ringing the "done" bell. I looked over and saw black smoke pouring out of the microwave.

I ran over, pulled out the plug, opened the kitchen window and set the whole thing outside in the snow.

Hours later, once it had cooled completely, I investigated. The pot pie looked more or less normal but wouldn't slide off the turntable. After a bit of feeling around I discovered that a bubble of molten glass maybe 3 cm across had risen (and now cooled) inside the pot pie.

We have never owned a microwave since.

• Like 8

New pyrex isn't as good as old pyrex.

Also, keep fire extinguishers around the house, appropriate to the kinds of fires that may occur there.

This was old pyrex. The incident was... '98? But the dish itself was probably 20 years old at that point.

Another random story... At one point before kids, my wife was away visiting family. I decided to experiment with a cheap electronic smoker I'd bought at Crappy Tire, and invited some friends over with the warning that yes, they were going to be guinea pigs. ::): I smoked some stuff on the BBQ and some stuff in the smoker... I was really disappointed in the lack of smoky flavour from the smoker until it suddenly clued in that there wasn't any, y'know, smoke. I'd put the wood chips in but the tray was in the wrong place and they weren't getting enough heat to make them smoke. :blush: 

• Like 3

+1 for the Pyrex isn't Pyrex any more. When they got bought out they changed the glass from laboratory grade to standard. (can't remember the actual terms off the top of my head). I remember reading an article about it a number of years ago.

Other cooking story: if you are in any way squeamish, don't cook lobster in Visions cookware.

They changed from Borosilicate glass to tempered plate glass.

• Like 6

Feb. 16: What was your worst kitchen blunder (feel free to share more than one if you have some good stories)?

Well, I certainly don't have anything that even remotely compares with fires and explosions. :blink: (Well, not in the kitchen, anyway.)

All I've really got is one time when I was making cheesecake, I didn't let the filling firm up enough before putting the blueberry topping on it.

Instead of cheesecake with blueberry topping, I ended up with blueberry cheesecake.

• Like 10

Well, I certainly don't have anything that even remotely compares with fires and explosions. :blink: (Well, not in the kitchen, anyway.)

All I've really got is one time when I was making cheesecake, I didn't let the filling firm up enough before putting the blueberry topping on it.

Instead of cheesecake with blueberry topping, I ended up with blueberry cheesecake.

That's terrible... just terrible... I feel bad for you, CW... really.

• Like 11

Most of the blunders aren't mine. When I was maybe 12, I made biscuits to go with dinner for the family. Hmmm, who knew that baking soda and baking powder aren't the same thing?

The rest of the blunders at our house usually involve someone dropping things. I had made a really nice chocolate cake for my son's birthday. We were going to dinner at my parents' so my daughter was carrying the cake that was in a tupperware cake thing. Well halfway between the house and the car, the lid pops off and the bottom of the cake carrier and the cake plunge to the ground. We had a wooden boardwalk and the cake was splatted on the boardwalk. I stood there in disbelief. My son (the birthday boy) was po'd! My daughter started laughing her butt off, sat down, grabbed a handful of cake (that hadn't touched ground) and tasted it and yelled, "This is delicious!" We picked up all of the cake that wasn't touching the ground and put it back in the container and took it to dinner. We still ate it and she was right, it was delicious.

Since then, my mother (who is notorious for having her refrigerator stuffed full all the time, mostly of leftovers that have been in there since The Last Supper) has opened the fridge to have the deviled eggs fall out and land all over the floor. While I was back for Christmas and we were doing our candy/cookie making day, she opened the fridge and all of the peanut butter balls went cascading out the fridge and rolling everywhere. I laughed so hard because she picked them up, dusted them off, and put them back on the tray. (Don't judge, this took us hours to make!) She just told everyone to be careful when they ate them as they may be a bit "fuzzy".

We also joke that the secret ingredient in our kitchen is "love". This is because we lick spatulas and things. So there, you have been warned about eating at my house!

• Like 10

::P:

Hey, I said it wasn't particularly impressive.

I try to keep the fire and explosions outside and away from where I live.

• Like 6

Um...I'm not sure I've ever had one. I'm very careful when I try something new in the kitchen. Usually, I start with an established recipe, then adjust it to taste, after making it the "correct" way at least once. You have to know want something is SUPPOSED to taste like, before you go fiddling with it.
  • Like 7

Sarcasm levels over 9000!!!!!

• Like 4

Um...I'm not sure I've ever had one. I'm very careful when I try something new in the kitchen. Usually, I start with an established recipe, then adjust it to taste, after making it the "correct" way at least once. You have to know want something is SUPPOSED to taste like, before you go fiddling with it.

^^^ This ^^^

Only two I can think of:

I was in the 4th grade and was cutting an apple... in my hand. Still have the scar from the cut and the three badly applied stitches (should have been five and they took them out too early).

Second one is part fishing story: We had caught quite a few good-sized perch at the lake, got them home and was gutting them. One was still alive, jumped, and flopped down the sink into the garbage disposal.

• Like 6

Canuckotter - with the burnt roast top and cold inside, it sounds like the oven stuck itself on "broil" or "Self Clean" and simply cooked itself to death.  I had one do that in a cheap apartment complex - melted the heat element in the "cheap oven for other people".  I'm a lot more interested in the location of circuit breakers since then.  Competent engineering wouldn't allow a runaway oven ("I present - the fuse!"), but competent engineers cost money.

My new favorite "Other People's Kitchen Disaster":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRLDr03XQ4

"Today is the day you pay for your crimes against my people.  En Garde!"

• Like 7