Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Feb

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*.  What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

* Shelf of Shame: the place where started, but unfinished minis go to languish if half-painted limbo.

Hmm. My Shelf of Shame is an orc that only has one arm painted, and a goblin with base colors. Those were technically the first minis I ever put paint on. But big meanies are so ugly... So I didn't finish them. :lol: They'll probably stay that way. I also have a riduclous blue and yellow dracolisk that I want to paint like lapis lazuli laced with gold.

... I don't actually know how to paint lapis lazuli laced with gold.  :rolleyes:

The Shelf of Progress (Or is it The Shelf of Gradually Progressive Shame?):

- 3 primed pirates. Those were supposed to be Christmas gifts, but they never told me what color scheme they wanted! *shrug* I'll get to them eventually.

- Cassiata - This one is half shame too, because she really could have been done by Christmas. Metal is so difficult! O.o

- A ridiculous rainbow hydra so I can practice all the colors! I'm not kidding. Heads are red, yellow, green, blue, and purple, with a black body going into a white tail.
  • Like 4

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*. What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

* Shelf of Shame: the place where started, but unfinished minis go to languish if half-painted limbo.

Um...the shelf has migrated into a rather large tote for the time being.
  • Like 3

I don't have a Shelf of Shame; I have a Vault of Pack Ratiness with about 1,500 to 2,000 minis in backlog. I am rather pleased to have stocked up while the prices were reasonable, knowing I would get them all done as the spirit moves me. I work on basing, priming, painting, building terrain; I always have some happy task on the go. Calling it a Shelf of Shame conjures up guilt feelings which would make one of my great pleasures an onerous task. If you feel like making what should be a joy into a burden, you have my sympathy.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 11

Good answer, Malefactus!

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*.  What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

I don't have a shelf of shame; I do have a couple of those old Chessex figure cases (the kind that hold 80 figures) with all of my unfinished stuff in them, though. That's actually what a lot of my more recent show off threads have been; things I started and never finished for whatever reason, and have now finally finished. I also have about 10 or 12 more of those same Chessex figure cases full of figures that I haven't done anything with yet. There's also a fairly large Tupperware storage tub filled with old school Grenadier and Ral Partha boxed sets, several large cardboard boxes full of mostly unbuilt GW stuff, and Bones 1 and 2--I haven't even sorted them out yet; they're still in the shipping boxes!

They're not finished yet because I haven't hit the lottery yet so that I have time to work on them.

• Like 4

I've several shelves where upon my started miniature projects sit, though the spaces are shared with other stuff...

Here's a list of shamefulness.

1. Galrauch First Dragon of Chaos
  2. Diorama base for a Grey Knight impaling a Daemon Prince
  3. The Centaur Warrior from The Bridge of Sorrows, along with the rest of the diorama that I will work on sometime in 2016.
  4. Grenadier Treasure Guardian
  5. Rauthuros and his giant pile of skulls display base
  6. Mounted Chaos Lord of Khorne on a display base
  7. Rackham Spasm Warrior on a display base
  8. Kelzaral the Diabolical's display base
  9. several other display bases for other Rackham miniatures
  10. Deacon Leodegarius
  11. Joan of Arc
  12. Ice Queen vignette
  13. Dogsbane
  14. Jailer of The Ten Thousand Paces
  15. Bones Eldritch Demon
  16. Bones Vanja, Fire Giant Queen
  17. Thrakasamoon, The Golden Dragon of Chaos 

Rather that give an explanation for each individual piece as to why it isn't finished,  I'll instead say that I'm just slack and get side tracked easily.  My goal is to finish about one of these per month... so far I'm 1 2/3 miniatures behind schedule.

• Like 4

I don't have a Shelf of Shame; I have a Vault of Pack Ratiness with about 1,500 to 2,000 minis in backlog. I am rather pleased to have stocked up while the prices were reasonable, knowing I would get them all done as the spirit moves me. I work on basing, priming, painting, building terrain; I always have some happy task on the go. Calling it a Shelf of Shame conjures up guilt feelings which would make one of my great pleasures an onerous task. If you feel like making what should be a joy into a burden, you have my sympathy.

What a great answer!

• Like 7

Last month, as part of an end of the year clean-up, I rounded up my half-finished minis and set out to finish them: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66344-pingos-conga-line-of-half-finished-minis/

As a result, my currenlty half-done figures are what was left over after my internal that's-enough clock went "bing". Looking at the initial picture in my thread that seems to be, um ...

A frost giant jester, can't remember what manufacturer and it was originally a 54mm regular jester anyway

Some Stonehaven half-orcs and companion pieces, mostly tengu

Some old Ral Partha Shadowrunners

A few Reaper bits and bobs: assassins, a crazed alchemist, a gnome druid, etc.

They are as yet unfinished because I do all my art in layers of thinking. Sometimes that's fast all in one go, but sometimes it needs rumination. I don't really see shame in something unfinished.

• Like 7

There are all sorts of things.

Twenty is the quantity of the things.

It is not really a shelf; in fact: there is not any one, particular place for such things.

But for the true answer, I must now read from the Book of Malefactus:

I don't have a Shelf of Shame;

I am rather pleased to have stocked up while the prices were reasonable, knowing I would get them all done as the spirit moves me. I work on basing, priming, painting, building terrain; I always have some happy task on the go. Calling it a Shelf of Shame conjures up guilt feelings which would make one of my great pleasures an onerous task.

— The Book of Malefactus, Chapter 6: verses 6 and 8-11.

Why chapter 6? Verily 6 is the first perfect number and that was the perfect answer.

• Like 6

I have a baggie of shame. It only has 3 figures in it. A male dwarf, female dwarf, and a rogue character who all have at least partial faces. I have gotten better since I started those so I will probably start over on them since I know I can do a better job now. As to why they are unfinished....I don't know really. I probably got something new that I wanted to paint more. shrug

• Like 3

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*. What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

I plead the fifth.

• Like 4

I plead the fifth Sith.
Ftfy
  • Like 2

...shelf of shame?

About a third of Bones I and a good half of Bones II...

• Like 5

I plead the fifth.

CHICKEN!

• Like 4

Not much in my case as I tend to finish projects before I move on to the next one.

There are two unfinished Bones models which, while they are sitting on my shelf of shame, aren't actually my models.  They were started by my kids and never finished.  I hold out hope that their interest in mini painting will one day be rekindled and hence, they can have a head start with their very own shelf of shame.

In terms of my own models, I currently have a survivor from a popular zombie game that has been primed but not yet started.  He was primed as I primed a bunch of survivors and painted most of them before I got bored and switched to painting something else for a change of pace.

I also have a Xeno-Beast from Galaxy Defenders that has been primed.  Its next in the queue (currently finishing up some Nexus models from the same game) and was primed as I use a spray primer and tend to prime a bunch of models at the same time before slowly making my way through them.

I'm actually 99% finished with the Nexus models.  The problem is that its been so cold in HK lately that I haven't been doing any mini-painting.  There is no central heating in HK so when the weather gets cold, you dress up in so many layers of clothing that you look like an abominable snowman and still end up sitting at home shivering from the cold.  As you can imagine, not an environment that is compatible with the fine motor control necessary for painting minis!

• Like 3

As noted in the question, "Shelf of Shame*" refers only to projects begun and abandoned before they can be shown to others as "finished". Now, if you've begun work on 1500 to 2000 figures that you haven't finished, you might actually be the only person here worse at this than me (though Sanael looks to be trying hard  ::P: ).

As for backup/stock miniatures, I'm pretty sure I can't count the number of boxes I have. But as you say, they're in waiting.

Frankly, I think you're taking the concept way too seriously. Most of us would rather finish started projects than not, though finishing much shinier new projects often gets priority. "Shelf of Shame" is just a way to remember that those poor Lost Toys still exist.

* Actual "shame" not necessarily included.

• Like 4