Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Feb

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*. What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

* Shelf of Shame: the place where started, but unfinished minis go to languish if half-painted limbo.

I plead the fifth.
CHICKEN!

I drive Beethoven nuts...Bach Bach Bach!

• Like 8

My new favorite "Other People's Kitchen Disaster":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRLDr03XQ4

"Today is the day you pay for your crimes against my people. En Garde!"

There can be only one!

Will paint a mini (eventually) for whomever understands the reference first.

Is it because the actor who played The Kurgan also does the voice for Mr Krabs on SpongeBob?

DING DING DING!

I owe you a mini! :lol:

That'd be Clancy Brown also the drill sgt in Starship Troopers & recently in Sleepy Hollow tv series as the sheriff that gets beheaded by the Horseman.

Kitchen Blunder: Not really allot in my life but I did utterly destroy one of those microwave bucket of popcorn. The smell was so unbearable that it lingered in the house probably for most of the evening. Heh, I recall my wife making me take the fried blacken remains out onto the the stoop for the night. We lived in a apt at the time. What was worse was the microwave was black on top where the bucket smoke & hit it & it too stunk of that darn bucket. To this day my wife won't allow one of things back in the house :lol:

On a related note, janitors at work were microwaving some popcorn & put it in too long that made the breakroom just stink so bad that the fumes rolled out onto the sales floor. It was a good thing this was like at 3 AM in the morning. Funny thing is I saw the janitor's wife trying to cover the smell with a air fresher. She held it at her side trying to be indiscreet about it....wth?

Shelf of Shame: Mine is more or less a "Room of Shame". Shouldn't be any excuse as to why I don't have em painted, its just there....sigh I'm a bad hobbyist.
  • Like 4

If we extend the concept to other, non-mini hobbies, my virtual shelf of shame is pretty disturbing. I have a partially completed barrister's bookcase that's been in that state for about 12 years, I've got stories I half-finished at least 15 years ago, I have a stack of completed picture frames and printed pictures just waiting for me to finish mounting the pictures and putting in the matting, plus... I don't even remember what else. I don't feel bad about any of it because every so often I switch hobbies again and suddenly a bunch of old projects get finished. ::):

• Like 6

Feb. 17: Go look at your Shelf of Shame*.  What is on it, and why haven't you finished it yet?

* Shelf of Shame: the place where started, but unfinished minis go to languish if half-painted limbo.

a lot of stuff. many of my projects just kind of get to 75% or so and stop. Just from where I'm sitting now I can see:

Infinity Alguicils, started because I got them in a box set with other things I wanted more, but neglected because I have plenty of the old version that are already painted.

Warhammer 40000 sentinels that never got details done, in part because I don't even play the game any more

a bones bathalian, who got painted but not properly based. shelved because the game I was painting him for got put off for a year or so.

Mutant chronicles warzone reserection scorpion, the game turned out to be a disapointment, and the mini is odd enough that I don't have another use for it

orks. I own these because I got them for free. every once in a while I poke at painting one or two if I'm bored

a reaper french maid, I misunderstood someone's character concept and the mini is not even in the ballpark.

And many, many others.

• Like 4

I've got an old Warhammer Lahmian vampire (mounted) that I can't figure out a color scheme for.

I've got an old Thunderbolt Mountain diorama ('The Wizard's Apprentice") I've got to finish a mirror for.  That one I'm trying to decide what I want to do with the reflection part.  Part of me wants to find an image and print it out, cut it and glue it into place, like the little kid is imagining herself as a powerful mage.

I've got a halfing wizard from Reaper that needs to be stripped and started over.  Just a poor job of painting what I've got.  I can do better.

I've got two foamcore buildings I need to finish, but it requires cutting balsa wood, and all that fiddly stuff takes time that will no doubt be interrupted by someone/something.

There's a Bones mage I tried painting in an orange color scheme.  No.  Needs to be redone.

I've got a dwarven wizard for my Warlord Dwarf faction that I'm not completely happy with, but slightly happier than last night.  I've put a wash of raw umber over him, and it seems to have toned down some of the color.  He's been sitting around for a year, so although I worked on him last night I still consider him part of the shelf of shame.

And then there's a 54mm Eldar from the old GW game Inquisitor.  Never played the game, liked a couple models.  I've had him on the shelf for something like a decade.  Just last year I realized the thing he was holding in his left hand was the scabbard to his sword.

• Like 4

So, I only count figures that I have started work on actually painting; this does not count mold removal or priming. So, as I am at work and not near my shelf/cases:

My Overlord force: 9 warriors, 3 crossbowmen and Captain Andrus. Not done due to shields, one sword, touch ups a basing. They were started at during the second NE Paint day at Dargrin's house.

My force of speed painted Black Orcs: Orc boss and various troops. They need clothing, touch ups and bases.

Victim from the Altar of Evil: this was started to improve my skintones. It had Bern basecoated thus far.

Hellknight Captain: my character Alexi for the Kingmaker PHP here. Some highlights and fiddly bits remaining. An a base. This is a trend.

Dwarf cleric Garum Greyrune (the old one): used this one to work on hair after taking Wrens hair class at ECon 2014. Was my best work to date. Then I messed up some armor plates and it has sat ever since.

A cleric figure who looks umm, colorful. Was going to be a mystic therge PC, but I didn't know about color theory at the time and it just doesn't work.

I've got a bunk of demo minis from RCon classes and such.

Some Bones Bugbears and gnolls I started to batch paint.

A Bones worm.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm not home to look.

• Like 4

Oh, if we don't count prep work or priming, then I have 3, 5, 12, 19, ... 20 ... never mind.  I go back to pleading the fifth.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 6

I really only have one mini I haven't finished that I feel anything akin to shame about, and that's the KS1 Sophie. Mostly I just feel frustrated, because the dumb thing is difficult to assemble and it's supposed to be for my sister in law. Sigh.

• Like 2