2016 Spring Exchange - Chatter Thread

fanguad

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really struggling on the color scheme on mine. :unsure: I know how I want the painting style to look, just not where the paint is going, haha. I've colored out several ideas but none of them work right. *wrinkles nose*

Maybe try looking at pictures of similar things for inspiration. I have a whole bunch of fashion pictures saved because I like the colours or fabrics or something. Never the style though, fashion is flipping bizarre!
  • Like 1

I finished the mini today. Not 100% happy with the freehand but the more I fiddled, the more it was messing it up so I decided to call it good. If you don't look at it with a magnifier it's pretty good!

I know what I want to do with the base, just don't have the right base to do it. Game store doesn't have the right size. I ordered some from Reaper but am going to check with a friend. (He usually has everything!) If he has what I need, I will have it based next week. (Have a full weekend.)

• Like 3

I'm really struggling on the color scheme on mine. :unsure: I know how I want the painting style to look, just not where the paint is going, haha. I've colored out several ideas but none of them work right. *wrinkles nose*

Maybe try looking at pictures of similar things for inspiration. I have a whole bunch of fashion pictures saved because I like the colours or fabrics or something. Never the style though, fashion is flipping bizarre!

Spoiler because I'm talking about the theme:

I do, which makes my lack of making it work even worse haha! I've got around 20 photos of "fire dress" "fire nation garb" "flame clothing." I've been coloring a photo of her over and over again in a paint program, and it's all so blaaaah when I try it.

Spoiler because I'm talking about the theme:

I do, which makes my lack of making it work even worse haha! I've got around 20 photos of "fire dress" "fire nation garb" "flame clothing." I've been coloring a photo of her over and over again in a paint program, and it's all so blaaaah when I try it.

Are you having trouble with red or orange? Those colours can be a pain to work with. Also, keep in mind that for a mini you'd have to simplify the colours down. You really only need a few good colours to make it look good.

• Like 1

Are you having trouble with red or orange? Those colours can be a pain to work with. Also, keep in mind that for a mini you'd have to simplify the colours down. You really only need a few good colours to make it look good.

I haven't even put paint on the mini yet, haha. My current problem is where the colors are going on the mini. I'm considering putting the gradient on her hair so I can keep the clothes relatively simple.

These are some that I did yesterday, I'll be trying more today. The two toned leggings are two different examples on the same image. The areas left white I just couldn't figure out haha. The bottom stripe of her shoes are white on all of these.

v7MiBPFl.png

• Like 4

I haven't even put paint on the mini yet, haha. My current problem is where the colors are going on the mini. I'm considering putting the gradient on her hair so I can keep the clothes relatively simple.

These are some that I did yesterday, I'll be trying more today. The two toned leggings are two different examples on the same image. The areas left white I just couldn't figure out haha. The bottom stripe of her shoes are white on all of these.

v7MiBPFl.png

Is this meant to be a hero or a villain?  That could certainly inform your color palette.  I did a google search for "fire type trainers" and came up with a few pictures that might help.  Of your examples though, I can't pick just one, they all look cool!  Also, I know you did the two leggings just to save time and space, but I actually think two different color leggings would look good on purpose.  Fits pretty well with the very playful pose and the fire theme.  Can't wait to see the flareon!

• Like 2

v7MiBPFl.png

Is this meant to be a hero or a villain?  That could certainly inform your color palette.  I did a google search for "fire type trainers" and came up with a few pictures that might help.  Of your examples though, I can't pick just one, they all look cool!  Also, I know you did the two leggings just to save time and space, but I actually think two different color leggings would look good on purpose.  Fits pretty well with the very playful pose and the fire theme.  Can't wait to see the flareon!

You know, I didn't even think to look up fire type trainers... Haha! The first link reminds me of the fire nation clothing. Two different leggings could work, but I don't know if that would be too busy with her gradient hair.

She would be a hero/player character, so I was trying to stay away from too much black (dark/evil trope), and too much black and red next to each other (Team Rocket), or too much orange and black together (Halloween).

I like that the bottom right's hair color matches the hair color of Flareon, but that orange is so... chalky.

Ideally, I'd like red and yellow to be the main colors, with orange and black secondary. And fire hair.... *^*

I never knew colors were so much work too! I'm thinking one of the top left ones, or the bottom left one. I'm going to laugh if I end up doing the bottom left - all this work and I go back to my first idea.... :lol:

• Like 1