2016 Spring Exchange - Chatter Thread

fanguad

Are you having trouble with red or orange? Those colours can be a pain to work with. Also, keep in mind that for a mini you'd have to simplify the colours down. You really only need a few good colours to make it look good.

I haven't even put paint on the mini yet, haha. My current problem is where the colors are going on the mini. I'm considering putting the gradient on her hair so I can keep the clothes relatively simple.

These are some that I did yesterday, I'll be trying more today. The two toned leggings are two different examples on the same image. The areas left white I just couldn't figure out haha. The bottom stripe of her shoes are white on all of these.

v7MiBPFl.png

So it looks like you're matching her to the little fire kitty pokemon (lol sorry I don't know their names,) right? Have you tried mimicking its colouring a little more closely? Like this...

kbnmjFZ.jpg

Pardon the horrifying MS Paint version, but hopefully you get the idea.

I like the two-toned shirt idea you had and then I went with a more subdued yellow and orange with pops of bright red. Just my take on it.

Keep posting the versions you come up with, it's good to get multiple pairs of eyes on such things!

Edited because spoiler tags hate me.

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 3

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't even put paint on the mini yet, haha. My current problem is where the colors are going on the mini. I'm considering putting the gradient on her hair so I can keep the clothes relatively simple.

These are some that I did yesterday, I'll be trying more today. The two toned leggings are two different examples on the same image. The areas left white I just couldn't figure out haha. The bottom stripe of her shoes are white on all of these.

v7MiBPFl.png

So it looks like you're matching her to the little fire kitty pokemon (lol sorry I don't know their names,) right? Have you tried mimicking its colouring a little more closely? Like this...

kbnmjFZ.jpg

Pardon the horrifying MS Paint version, but hopefully you get the idea.

I like the two-toned shirt idea you had and then I went with a more subdued yellow and orange with pops of bright red. Just my take on it.

Keep posting the versions you come up with, it's good to get multiple pairs of eyes on such things!

Edited because spoiler tags hate me.

Guiiiindyyyyyyyy! :wub:

I didn't want to match her exactly to the Pokemon, since she'd have others anyways (not for the project, just in her world), but I love what you did! Oh man!

Part of my problem was that it kept getting too dark, and the yellows and oranges didn't look right. I want the bright fire colors, but Flareon's coloring is much more subdued. I could always use a more vibrant yellow and orange on the clothing, and use those same shades for coloring details on the pokemon? That's a thing, right?

I also like that the top of the shirt matches the fluff on Flareon, and I like the probably unintentional black stripe on the top of the leggings. Maybe add a black clasp to the red bag so it matches her pokeball.

• Like 1

Guiiiindyyyyyyyy! :wub:

I didn't want to match her exactly to the Pokemon, since she'd have others anyways (not for the project, just in her world), but I love what you did! Oh man!

Part of my problem was that it kept getting too dark, and the yellows and oranges didn't look right. I want the bright fire colors, but Flareon's coloring is much more subdued. I could always use a more vibrant yellow and orange on the clothing, and use those same shades for coloring details on the pokemon? That's a thing, right?

I also like that the top of the shirt matches the fluff on Flareon, and I like the probably unintentional black stripe on the top of the leggings. Maybe add a black clasp to the red bag so it matches her pokeball.

Those other pokemon can just deal with the fact that she doesn't love them as much as she loves the fire kitty. ::P:

That is 100% a thing - change the colours around however you see fit! You're the artist, it's your vision. I sincerely doubt that your partner would be like "Well this would have been awesome, except the oranges and yellows were not the exact official shade and tone" ::P:

You're right about the unintentional black stripe on the leggings but I like it too and I like what you're thinking for the bag as well!

• Like 4

After being sick for a week, I have started making progress again. 

This one is going to get close to the wire. (1 month remaining) 

Moving to Shadows on one figure, others are still in general basecoating or eyes. 

The elaborate basing is doing well, although if the goodwill box shows up quickly, It may get an extra feature or 2.  

• Like 3

Are you having trouble with red or orange? Those colours can be a pain to work with. Also, keep in mind that for a mini you'd have to simplify the colours down. You really only need a few good colours to make it look good.

v7MiBPFl.png

My favorite is the bottom left. Just throwing my opinion in!

• Like 1

I have successfully completed EYES!!! well, they're done, they're not great but they are some of my best (human) eyes yet. Here's hoping I don't accidentally mess them up in the highlighting the face stage <fingers crossed>

You should be fine. I just drew the "mess up part of the face" card out of the pile. My poor girl looks like the joker right now  :lol:  ::(: It was supposed to be lip gloss!

My favorite is the bottom left. Just throwing my opinion in!

Thanks! I'm hoping to do a decent combo of Guindy's and that one.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 4

I was feeling pretty good about it - have picked out, cleaned and prepped minis, started on the main base layout last night, and figured out a basic color scheme. Lots of others in the same place, I'm doing great!

Then I received my mini today. ::D: It is VERY COOL, and I think it will be a great one to use as a bad guy in some of my upcoming games - thank you sender (whom I only know by real name, not forum name)!

Yay!

But now I feel even more like I'm behind.  :wacko:

• Like 8

I've got a packed weekend ahead of me: Today will be a sewing day, tomorrow is go outside and play day, and all day Sunday will be a paint day ::D:

I should be able to get a lot of progress done! Excitement!

Another design idea:

Pretend the hair is actually a gradient.

I haven't decided if I want the skirt to be solid yellow or orange with yellow in the pleats.

I still need to decide what the bracers are made out of and their color.

I'm leaning towards #3 for the legging colors, even though I really wanted 1, haha. 

FMKNbCe.png?1

• Like 5

I've got a packed weekend ahead of me: Today will be a sewing day, tomorrow is go outside and play day, and all day Sunday will be a paint day ::D:

I should be able to get a lot of progress done! Excitement!

Another design idea:

Pretend the hair is actually a gradient.

I haven't decided if I want the skirt to be solid yellow or orange with yellow in the pleats.

I still need to decide what the bracers are made out of and their color.

I'm leaning towards #3 for the legging colors, even though I really wanted 1, haha. 

FMKNbCe.png?1

That one looks good. I think it's my favorite. ^_^

• Like 2