Sign in to follow this  
Pippin

Mausoleum (Updated 2/7/16)

So, I have shots of this in my Silverhex scenery thread, but it's kind of become its own beast.

I've never worked with foam board before, but loved what I was seeing done on this forum and figured I could try my hand at it.  In the first encounter of the Silverhex Chronicles, there are two mausoleums (in addition to graves and such).  I figured those could be my first two foam board efforts.

At this point, I have the first mausoleum put together and am now working on painting and then a roof.  Figured I'd include some of the WIP shots that got me to this point.

For the second, I have the walls cut out and the piece I'll be using to make a dome.  I'll be showing those later once I actually have something worth showing.

Hope you enjoy my first foray into foam!  Comments, critiques, and compliments are always welcome  :=)

post-13795-0-40984000-1454522010_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-37259900-1454522091_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-48981100-1454522111_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-33165600-1454522131_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-21635100-1454522147_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-54118200-1454522163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pippin
  • Like 10

Progress!!  The first mausoleum is just about finished.  Just some more work needed on the details of the wood grain (do washes work on foam board?) and still need to make a roof.  Of course, now that we've finished some cereal, I have the thin cardboard for it  :=)

I also included a couple shots for the second mausoleum.  At the moment, it's kind of just a big shoebox with double doors.  Therefore, I included a second shot giving a bit more of the feel of where it's going.  There will be a "porch" with round columns (which I'm making with Sculpey) and then there is a dome with a spire for the top.  Of course, when I thought about what is dome-shaped and has a nice opening for something spire-like to come up, the first idea that popped up was a lid from a Starbucks Frappuccino.  Yep, good excuse for blended coffee :=)

post-13795-0-93522500-1454883216_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-52834400-1454883227_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-80373300-1454883238_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-59871800-1454883249_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-41882200-1454883258_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• By Nightwing
      A craft store near me was going out of business, and I found the rock molding kit from Scene O Rama for $1. There was enough plaster to make  2 molds of each rock. I painted them as instructed with the provided paints, glued them to balsa squares and rectangles, added some dirt and the talus. Some bushes added for color and interest. I wouldn’t use balsa wood for this again. The washes and thinned down glues caused the balsa to curl. 

I figured id use them as difficult terrain indicators in our D&D games.  I’m thinking about running the old timey Isle of Dread adventure for my group, maybe these will come in handy. 

• By ultrasquid
      I didn't see this listed so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeonsandlasers-plastic-tabletop-rpg-scenery

I received an engineering sample of the product today. They're made of hard gray injection-molded plastic, my guess would be ABS from its hardness and density. The floor and wall ties fit together tightly, though it takes a bit of effort that likely would wear at paint on those surfaces had they been painted. Due to response from earlier sample recipients, the production tiles will be slightly larger than the samples.

• By BLZeebub
      This is just something that's been on the SoS for an embarrassing amount of time.  Finally making the effort to finish it up and move on.  Materials are corrugated cardboard on a base of stiff cardboard/MDF.  Rebar from paperclips.  Rocks, gravel, and sand, and a straw for the pipe.  Spray primed with black, wet brushed with gray hobby paint.  Next will be some highlights and a wash, some vegetation, and done.  Reaper Bones skelie for skale!  Pardon the rigged light box--lots of other house projects have my hobby room crammed with crap at the moment.

• By lexomatic
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monstergaming/monster-adventure-terrain-3d-customizable-dandd-world-builder
      First created but looks cool.
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 101 Guests (See full list)