Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
In a massive bag of random Bones minis I acquired, I found four of the same type of gnoll warrior. I've decided to take three of them and paint them different quality levels - a speedpaint, my average tabletop level, and the last one, the most detailed - to see the difference in the type of efforts I put into things.
They've all been cleaned and based. Different basing as well, with the last one being a gnoll on a grassy knoll. A knoll gnoll! >>
And the speedpainted one, I'm not priming or gap filling. But the other two I am. I generally like to prime things no matter the material for three reasons -
- To see the details better because the stark white makes it hard to see definition.
- And lastly, because it helps me see how I failed to clean off mold lines as well as I thought I did and take care of it appropriately.
Will get into the nitty gritty of it all tomorrow because tonight is D&D night!
Hi guys, back again after a long absence... again. I took a very long time to paint something that was supposed to be a speed paint. I was painting a Bones Finari and wasn't happy with the cast so I was just trying to get her done quick to get her off the shelf but then everything went wrong with the paint job and I stalled out for a long time. I'm not posting her because I wasn't happy but I've finally moved on. This is my Gnoll Warrior. I kind of like him. He is part of my new strategy to just paint and get used to the motions and not try to be perfect all the time. Trying to be perfect puts more minis on shelves of shame instead of in display cabinets. I thought his mane looked a lot like a mohawk so I decided that maybe he would dye it in the colours of his tribe or clan or war party or whatever. I thought it was neat. If I did it again I would maybe use more muted colours but this first time I was afraid maybe muted colours would fade out and go unnoticed. I was happy with the eye and jaws on his right side but not his left (which is why there are no good pictures of his left side ). But here he is, he's imperfect and I'm happy with him! Comments are welcome as always!
@malefactus sent me some old Games Workshop plastic night goblins, and instead of putting them together properly I decided to stick the heads on the bodies of some Frostgrave plastic gnolls.
There's another one but he's badly unbalanced (in more ways than one) and keeps falling over.
I'm a little (a lot) behind on my threads, and even more so on getting to work on May's figure of the month. It didn't help that I didn't order him until the middle/end of the month.
I started last night... Prep was done in the usual way, first by washing in warm soapy water, then attaching him to the cork. I then cleaned up mold lines, though I missed a few. Mainly the one running across his knuckles on his left hand. Then I painted on a 5:2 brown liner & flow improver mix. As you can see below, I'm working on a few other minis too. The orc and werebat will get their own threads later.
Tonight was blocking in base colors, and working a bit on the skin. I'm sticking with the gnoll theme I did way back in the chainmail days with the gnolls all being demonic, to one extent or another. So they all get greyish fleshy faces, hands, and feet. I used Void blue for that, then mixed in cloudy grey to bring the color up. The fur was Nut Brown, with the ruff getting some Vallejo Red Leather. The cloth is Dragon Red, as are the lips. Everything that is going to be metal got a coat of Black.
And that's where I'll pick it up tomorrow!
Thanks for looking. C&C welcome!
Who's Online 12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)