Pytt

WIP: First try at a sculpting project

I am of course in way over my head here, but I am trying my hand at sculpting now. I've looked at a bunch of guides and tutorials, and played around with GS and fimo. This project will hopefully result in a pseudodragon for one of the players in my group, or at the very least a nice learning experience. ::):

Unfortunately, I didn't think of creating a thread until after I've started, so in these pictures I have already made a "skeleton" out of iron wire and added GS and fimo to it. Now I am waiting for the GS to harden a bit so I can start sculpting "for real".

post-14691-0-09011900-1454587762_thumb.jpeg

post-14691-0-83859500-1454587814_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Pytt
  • Like 10

Damn, it's super awkward to add and edit pictures from my phone. Hopefully coming posts will be better...

*** Hops on the couch, opens bag of crisps, starts to watch***

Well, it better be a big bag of chips, because this might take a while.. :;):

I am glad to see you're interested in my little adventure though! ::):

• Like 2

*** Pours glass of wine, gets French cheese and crackers... so it's gonna take a while huh?***

Succes!!!

• Like 3

*** Pours glass of wine, gets French cheese and crackers... so it's gonna take a while huh?***

Succes!!!

Quit being a snob!

*** Grabs a Mountain Dew, some Chicken in a Biskit crackers, and some Easy Cheese to eat while watching! ***

You go Shield Maiden!

• Like 1

Succes!!!

Quit being a snob!

*** Grabs a Mountain Dew, some Chicken in a Biskit crackers, and some Easy Cheese to eat while watching! ***

You go Shield Maiden!

Ok ok...

***Pours wine down the drain and tosses cheese out of the window***

***Grabs Spare Ribs and Hot Wings, gulps down a beer from the can.***

***Smashes empty can against own forehead and tosses it in the corner of the room****

SO, mundaine enough dear Minion?

Excuse us, Viking Girl..

Go ahead...Sculpt!

• Like 1

Succes!!!

Quit being a snob!

You go Shield Maiden!

Ok ok...

***Pours wine down the drain and tosses cheese out of the window***

***Grabs Spare Ribs and Hot Wings, gulps down a beer from the can.***

***Smashes empty can against own forehead and tosses it in the corner of the room****

SO, mundaine enough dear Minion?

Excuse us, Viking Girl..

Go ahead...Sculpt!

Haha, I like how this became a gourmèt show off! ::D:

I have now gotten as far as baking it and attaching the skeleton for the wings. I've taken a bunch of pictures of my progress, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see them, so keep your crisps, cheese and mead ready! :;):

• Like 4

Well, the first question is, do you have an idea of what you want it to look like, or reference pictures, or are you just making it up as you go?

If you're just improvising the whole thing, it's going to take a lot longer as you'll be constantly going back and having to redo things that aren't working out or having to teach yourself new tricks/come up with new ways to do things on the fly... (I know this well, lol - it's my standard operating procedure.)

Generally, when working with polymer clay or epoxy putty, adding more material to it is easier than trying to take it off - especially on something as small as a pseudo-dragon , so you'll want to work with just a small bit at a time and let it cure before adding more.

Also, what sort of tools are you working with?

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Well, the first question is, do you have an idea of what you want it to look like, or reference pictures, or are you just making it up as you go?

If you're just improvising the whole thing, it's going to take a lot longer as you'll be constantly going back and having to redo things that aren't working out or having to teach yourself new tricks/come up with new ways to do things on the fly... (I know this well, lol - it's my standard operating procedure.)

Generally, when working with polymer clay or epoxy putty, adding more material to it is easier than trying to take it off - especially on something as small as a pseudo-dragon , so you'll want to work with just a small bit at a time and let it cure before adding more.

Also, what sort of tools are you working with?

Yes, I googled a whole bunch of reference pictures for dragons, pseudodragons and small dragons. I also did some light sketching for the pose and size. He will get somewhat bigger than a pseudodragon I think, but he's still quite small and I don't want to be too hard on myself. ::P:

I did notice that when taking an amount that seemed way too tiny on your finger or tool and putting it on the miniature, it usually ends up being HUGE on the mini... That seems like something that will only come with practice.  -_-

As for tools, I have these: http://www.pandurohobby.se/ArticleImages/1200x1200/516104_01.jpg , a hobby knife, a really sharp and big needle and some small stuff for structure like stones, buttons and other things I've found during the years and thought "Hey, this might be something fun one day". ::): Though I've mostly used the tools in the link for this project so far.

We are soooo silly!

:blues:

Pytt, can we slip him some Surströmming? :devil:

Ooh, that is some chaotic evil stuff right there...  :blink:

EDIT: changed link

Edited by Pytt
  • Like 2

Photo time! 

post-14691-0-61597000-1454651351_thumb.jpg

Here's part of his back...

post-14691-0-79074000-1454651354_thumb.jpg

The holes are for attaching of the wings, something I of course realized I should have thought of earlier. Oh well...

post-14691-0-94218500-1454651357_thumb.jpg

His teeny weeny face, yay! 

post-14691-0-02379100-1454651361_thumb.jpg

[Warning for pun] Cured, I'm cured! 

post-14691-0-07691400-1454651364_thumb.jpg

[Another pun...] Man, I'm sooo baked right now...

post-14691-0-59316500-1454651366_thumb.jpg

His butt and...

post-14691-0-82627800-1454651368_thumb.jpg

...his face!

I've started on the wings, but I'm also thinking of doing something with the stone he's sitting on, since I don't really think it looks very good right now. Any ideas? ::):

• Like 9

For your first try, it's pretty damn good... Some of the edges are a little bit soft, but that's the sort of thing you get better at with practice (and greater magnification, lol). Although those clay shapers are good for smoothing and blending edges, and pushing around putty for bulk details, you should consider doing a lot more work with your hobby knife as the white clay shapers are fairly soft and don't have nearly as fine an edge or point on them.

(They also sell black clay shapers as well, which are the firmer ones - most folks use the extra-firm ones in a size 0...)

And always keep your tools well-lubricated - it makes it a lot easier to make the putty go where you want it.

As for the rock, I think part of the problem may be that it just doesn't look much like rocks... It looks more like a stalagmite in a cave. Different types of stone have very different characteristics, and are affected differently by different types of erosion, i.e., a river rock is going to be smooth and round, whereas a boulder rolled by a glacier isn't going to be nearly as even although it'll still have more rounded edges. Being an inorganic object, it's much likelier to have sharper edges and flat surfaces than a living creature/plant like a tree or the dragon. The various details on the rocks should be smaller and sharper than what you're likely to get using the clay shapers.

Usually when I make rocks I use the flat side of a hobby knife or bladed sculpting tool to form the various sides, and then use just the point of the flat side held at a slight angle to press in details with sharp edges.

What you might consider doing is looking up a few pics of different rock formations and taking a flat file (if you have one) to some of the side of the rocks.

You're off to a really good start so far.

Oh, one other note - we're not allowed to post commerce links here, so you might want to edit your post above to link directly to the picture rather than the web page it's on...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5