Guildenstern

Currently madly trying to finish Orkz

Just thought I'd update this with my Reaper figures - kind of an inventory, only in visual format. Here's seeing what I can get done this year!

TNInv2016b.jpg

TNInv2016c.jpg

not a whole lot of Reaper stuff, most of my collection is GW/Wyrd/other. Most of the bones on the right of the second picture are orcs, goblins, a couple giants, and familars for our RPGing enterprises. I'm *trying* to get a good bunch of monsters togehter to use in our campaigns but I just haven't been motivated to paint many yet.

• Like 12

Working on my Betrayal at Calth box a bit more this weekend!

also, while I always say I am a messy basecoater, I think I've really outdone myself this time - I accidentally dropped the flow aid bottle into the paint >< so I added more paint, but yeah apparently you *can* add too much flow aid LOL I'm working on their colour scheme atm, they're usually white and black, but I hate white, so I'm going to do a more light grey instead (cheating). Which bits will be which, that's the part I'm trying to figure out now.

post-14692-0-64000000-1455495530_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-13128200-1455495537.jpg

post-14692-0-48631400-1455495541_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-98800000-1455495545_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Lookin good!

I haven't accidentally dumped flo aid into my paints before but I can imagine that would be bad. I have however, dumped 2 entire jars of Citadel agrax earthshade onto the floor, and dropped a finished figure into my rinse water. I feel your pain, my friend.

• Like 2

Lookin good!

I haven't accidentally dumped flo aid into my paints before but I can imagine that would be bad. I have however, dumped 2 entire jars of Citadel agrax earthshade onto the floor, and dropped a finished figure into my rinse water. I feel your pain, my friend.

yes! I have unfortunately done that as well =/ Although the worst incident was knocking it over onto the desk where I was working (with yes many unfinished minis about sigh). Or it might be when I knocked over the plastic glue, all over minis I was working on. Ugh I'm a klutz!

• Like 1

Slightly bad phone pic as I didn't feel like breaking out the lightbox and camera (since I'd have to clean my desk first :P) Also I'm holding it at a bit of a weird angle, sorry

He's almost done - weapons are just basecoated, the black needs its edge highlight and I'm probably doing white edge highlights on the grey plates. I may also go back and do some more pin washes.

The colours used thus far are medium grey, rainy grey, weathered stone, with the black being just whatever black I have handy (forget tbh which brand it is)

post-14692-0-48617000-1455998908.jpg

• Like 8

One pic just for reference (I did finish the guy above ^)

And my other urban bases! I put the final touches on them tonight. Quite pleased with them honestly, I had a lot of fun making them and they were dead easy.

post-14692-0-10491100-1456199790.jpg

post-14692-0-52309100-1456199798_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

some WIP on the first squad:

post-14692-0-15121700-1457955868_thumb.jpg

And some work on my Spring Exchange mini (spoilered so my recipient doesn't have to see it unless they really wish!)

post-14692-0-73871000-1457955908_thumb.jpg

basecoat, washes; wolf is supposed to be a timber wolf, not 100% happy yet, but details like face still to be done

• Like 10

Some WIP pics of my Wyrd Iron Painter entry, almost done I think, I'm just leaving it a bit to see what jumps out at me as needing touchup etc

post-14692-0-70788400-1458934494_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-93413500-1458934498_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-35870900-1458934502_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-63557400-1458934507_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-76112100-1458934510_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

more bad pictures of Betrayal at Calth :P this is my chaplain, he's almost done, just needs some touch ups and some rivets and eyes finished.

LWChaplain5.jpg
LWChaplain6.jpg
LWChaplain7.jpg
LWChaplain8.jpg

• Like 8

How did you make your urban bases?

Old bits of sprue and other odds and ends, small rocks, sand and a variety of rocks went into the "rubble" paste (glue + paint + "rubble"). A little bit of cork, not a ton. Craft black paint plus water for a wash, then several drybrushings, also a brown craft paint wash. I painted a lot of the sprue as metal. Oh and a few pieces I put in paperclip bits in as "rebar" as well as a little old window screen painted to look metallic as well.

I always keep odds and ends on hand to make rubble paste with and for projects like this ^_^ Some of the sprue in there is metal, which made it fun as I could bend it and shape it differently than the plastic sprue.

They're really easy and fun bases to make!

*edit* I forgot two things lol - craft punch in rectangle + craftfoam = bricks and the other thing I added was some plasticard bits, textured up to try to make them look like sheetmetal or other pieces of metal

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      I picked this figure because I like it but don't have strong attachment to it. The face turned out a bit mushy, but eh, s'ok. OSL was a "hmm, it should be there". Skin tones are Reaper vampiric and dusky triads. Most of the rest of the figure is with Kimera Kolors which are crazy heavy pigments; this figure was an experiment in learning how to use them. 

Photo is... so so. Didn't have ability to set up proper station so this'll have to do for now. 

• By Rigel
      A good friend gave me this out-of-production Tomb King for my birthday last month; it is a fabulously detailed sculpt, with vulture motifs and fancy collars and greaves. My Google-fu is weak, so I don't know its exact designation beyond "Tomb King on foot," but you might know better! 

I decided to give him a monogrammed cartouche on his tattered robe; I had looked up Neferkasokar for a Call of Cthulhu game previously. 

I wasn't sure what to make of the tattered stitched-together sheets on his kilt and shield, so I decided they would be papyri with apotropaic ensorcellments and spells. 

And while I was on the subject, I gave a touch-up to some of the other mummies and ushabtis I'd previously painted.

• By Arimaythea
      My husband and I are about to join a campaign to play through the Curse of Strahd adventure for 5e.  My husband is playing as a half-orc sorcerer and I am a human fighter.  We decided to go with 03879: Gon'Tarr Orc Shaman and 14604: Joeliyn Sister of the Blade as our respective PC minis.  They will be the third and fourth minis I have ever painted, the other two being from one of the Learn to Paint kits.

My mini hasn't arrived yet but my husband's has so I've made a little progress on him.  I cleaned him up, glued to a square base, used some green stuff to smooth out his integrated base, primed him, and put some of the base coat colors down.  I've used all Reaper paints so far - their white primer along with Leather Brown for the leather bits, Harvest Brown for the wood, and a hobbled together mix of Camouflage Green, Military Green, and Warrior Flesh for the skin. 

I plan on doing a base coat of all the colors first to make sure we are both happy with the choices before moving onto washes and highlighting.  My shipment with my mini along with some bone colored paints that I need for Gon'Tarr's skull accessories should be here tomorrow!
    • By Unruly
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/description

Fantasy Grounds Unity is the name of the upcoming version of our virtual tabletop software, Fantasy Grounds. It's been completely rebuilt from the ground up in Unity. Read on to find out what this all means and why we are excited for this project.
      Fantasy Grounds is a popular system for playing a host of different roleplaying games online.  It is used by more than 130,000 gamers worldwide to connect and play popular games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, and more.  This type of program is commonly referred to as a virtual tabletop, or VTT, due to their ability to emulate various part of an RPG session in a digital form.
      What makes Fantasy Grounds different than competitors is how we expose character sheets and automate large portions of gameplay specifically for each system we support.  This is done through rulesets.  Your experience playing Deadlands Reloaded will differ from D&D and will be unique to that environment, contain custom graphics, character sheets, and automation specific to that game system.  
      One feature shared across most game systems is maps.  Some may use hexes while others use square grids and some may not use grids at all.  Facing is important in some and less so in others.  While FG has featured maps for many years, they have been primarily focused as reproductions of maps in existing adventure modules from our many licensed publishers. We believe that we can enhance these to provide dynamic line of sight, fog of war, and even map building support with painting and tiles.
      What you get for backing this project will be a license for Fantasy Grounds Unity (or FGU). This new game engine has all the great features of current version of Fantasy Grounds (soon to be called Fantasy Grounds Classic) along with new enhanced features. 
      Original Features Supported:
      Multiplayer support for playing tabletop games of Dungeons & Dragons (2E, 3.5E, 4E and 5E), Pathfinder RPG 1, Pathfinder RPG 2, Starfinder. Built-in content for D&D 3.5E, 5E and Pathfinder 1 Officially licensed add-on content available for D&D, D&D Classics (2E), Pathfinder, Starfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Basic Roleplaying, Castles & Crusades, Mutants & Masterminds, 13th Age, W.O.I.N., Traveller, and Rolemaster Classic Generic system support through our CoreRPG ruleset Brilliant Campaign Management Integrated character sheets with lots of automation built in for playing and leveling (depending on ruleset and content owned) Combat Tracking 3D dice Fantasy Grounds Unity Enhanced Features Include:
      64-bit support to allow for more content (quality and quantity) Native support for Mac, Linux and Windows PC Network lobby for easy hosting and joining of games (no port forwarding required) Tile based map building Enhanced Drawing Tools Additional Dice Macros support A new FGU only skin Dynamic Line of Sight with enhanced toggle blockers Paint with images, such as walls Animated image effects Backward compatibility with all existing campaigns and DLC from FGC In addition to these features, we are now poised to add even greater functionality going forward. We have lots of ideas for new features and this rebuilt engine will make it easier for us reach those goals and deliver consistent updates for free. 
      Tile based Map Building
      Dynamic Line of Sight (LOS) and Fog of War (FOW)
      Map Fx Layers
      We have already devoted over 4 years and 10,000 developer hours to this project. Any funds raised will help us push it over the edge and begin work on new features and functionality. If the project does exceptionally well, this may even allow us to add even more resources to the team.
      We have over 1200 existing DLC and add-ons. Our goal is to prioritize these by popularity and work on enhancing as many of these as we can. Without enhancements, they will continue to function as they always have in Fantasy Grounds Classic. You will be able to add dynamic line of sight to maps and begin using the new features straight away. As we work through this large back catalog of DLC, we will do all the enhancement and upgrade work for you so you can just load it up and begin using the advanced features without having to define any Line of Sight blockers yourself. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/description
    • By Rahz
      Let's see if I can finish one of these for a change...  Of course I neglected to take good pictures of the early steps... 

Mossbeard assembled, "primed" with Sepia Liner, which after a year was kinda gloopy...  Thinned with a little airbrush thinner, it went on fine though and gave really good coverage and gave the figure a nice brown on top of the grey bones.  The green then got an overbrush with Jungle Mist and then a wash of Vallejo green wash.  The brown got a wash of Vallejo dark Grey Wash and some spots with Vallejo Rush Wash.  I've since started with a over/dry-brush of Wolf Grey over the wood.  Torso, head and one arm done.  He's a big one! 

Thanks for looking. 
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 74 Guests (See full list)