Guildenstern

Currently madly trying to finish Orkz

Just thought I'd update this with my Reaper figures - kind of an inventory, only in visual format. Here's seeing what I can get done this year!

TNInv2016b.jpg

TNInv2016c.jpg

not a whole lot of Reaper stuff, most of my collection is GW/Wyrd/other. Most of the bones on the right of the second picture are orcs, goblins, a couple giants, and familars for our RPGing enterprises. I'm *trying* to get a good bunch of monsters togehter to use in our campaigns but I just haven't been motivated to paint many yet.

• Like 12

Working on my Betrayal at Calth box a bit more this weekend!

also, while I always say I am a messy basecoater, I think I've really outdone myself this time - I accidentally dropped the flow aid bottle into the paint >< so I added more paint, but yeah apparently you *can* add too much flow aid LOL I'm working on their colour scheme atm, they're usually white and black, but I hate white, so I'm going to do a more light grey instead (cheating). Which bits will be which, that's the part I'm trying to figure out now.

post-14692-0-64000000-1455495530_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-13128200-1455495537.jpg

post-14692-0-48631400-1455495541_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-98800000-1455495545_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Lookin good!

I haven't accidentally dumped flo aid into my paints before but I can imagine that would be bad. I have however, dumped 2 entire jars of Citadel agrax earthshade onto the floor, and dropped a finished figure into my rinse water. I feel your pain, my friend.

• Like 2

Lookin good!

I haven't accidentally dumped flo aid into my paints before but I can imagine that would be bad. I have however, dumped 2 entire jars of Citadel agrax earthshade onto the floor, and dropped a finished figure into my rinse water. I feel your pain, my friend.

yes! I have unfortunately done that as well =/ Although the worst incident was knocking it over onto the desk where I was working (with yes many unfinished minis about sigh). Or it might be when I knocked over the plastic glue, all over minis I was working on. Ugh I'm a klutz!

• Like 1

Slightly bad phone pic as I didn't feel like breaking out the lightbox and camera (since I'd have to clean my desk first :P) Also I'm holding it at a bit of a weird angle, sorry

He's almost done - weapons are just basecoated, the black needs its edge highlight and I'm probably doing white edge highlights on the grey plates. I may also go back and do some more pin washes.

The colours used thus far are medium grey, rainy grey, weathered stone, with the black being just whatever black I have handy (forget tbh which brand it is)

post-14692-0-48617000-1455998908.jpg

• Like 8

One pic just for reference (I did finish the guy above ^)

And my other urban bases! I put the final touches on them tonight. Quite pleased with them honestly, I had a lot of fun making them and they were dead easy.

post-14692-0-10491100-1456199790.jpg

post-14692-0-52309100-1456199798_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

some WIP on the first squad:

post-14692-0-15121700-1457955868_thumb.jpg

And some work on my Spring Exchange mini (spoilered so my recipient doesn't have to see it unless they really wish!)

post-14692-0-73871000-1457955908_thumb.jpg

basecoat, washes; wolf is supposed to be a timber wolf, not 100% happy yet, but details like face still to be done

• Like 10

Some WIP pics of my Wyrd Iron Painter entry, almost done I think, I'm just leaving it a bit to see what jumps out at me as needing touchup etc

post-14692-0-70788400-1458934494_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-93413500-1458934498_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-35870900-1458934502_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-63557400-1458934507_thumb.jpg

post-14692-0-76112100-1458934510_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

more bad pictures of Betrayal at Calth :P this is my chaplain, he's almost done, just needs some touch ups and some rivets and eyes finished.

LWChaplain5.jpg
LWChaplain6.jpg
LWChaplain7.jpg
LWChaplain8.jpg

• Like 8

How did you make your urban bases?

Old bits of sprue and other odds and ends, small rocks, sand and a variety of rocks went into the "rubble" paste (glue + paint + "rubble"). A little bit of cork, not a ton. Craft black paint plus water for a wash, then several drybrushings, also a brown craft paint wash. I painted a lot of the sprue as metal. Oh and a few pieces I put in paperclip bits in as "rebar" as well as a little old window screen painted to look metallic as well.

I always keep odds and ends on hand to make rubble paste with and for projects like this ^_^ Some of the sprue in there is metal, which made it fun as I could bend it and shape it differently than the plastic sprue.

They're really easy and fun bases to make!

*edit* I forgot two things lol - craft punch in rectangle + craftfoam = bricks and the other thing I added was some plasticard bits, textured up to try to make them look like sheetmetal or other pieces of metal

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      So recently one of my wargaming friends has been really trying to get someone in our group to kitbash together some Imperial Guard Rough Riders. Not exactly sure why he doesn't just build some and I had decided to just ignore him when inspiration hit. While hanging around some GW kit bashing forums I came across an image. 

I have absolutely no idea where this image actually came from, it was a repost of a repost. In the end it didn't matter though, I knew I could pull off something similar and more importantly I could build most of the project using only pieces on hand. Only needing wheels and bases means these will be very cheap to make.

After getting lucky on eBay I have a ton of guardsmen, but ten of them just don't fit my current army. They do however fit this project perfectly. Step one was getting them off their bases and that GW plastic melting glue really made that hard. Luckily I was able to get them all detached without injuring myself. 

The rest came together really quickly. I swapped out some arms, trimmed some sprue pieces, raided my bits bags, and trimmed down some toothpicks. Here is my final result.
      Closeups

Now the search for wheels begins.
    • By DragonWyrm
      Since I like painting when it is dark outside I normally don't take photos, to combat this and get into the habit I am starting this thread. I will post some of my recent work, including things that are 95% done and are only missing a base. Some of the photos may not be the best, but they should suffice. 

Any advice and criticism is welcome.

So let us get started:

An old Pandora Metal starter set from Malifaux (and some Victoria Miniatures):
      The skin for the baby was done using Mars Violet (PR101), Nickel Titanate Yellow (PY53) and Titanium White (PW6). I may have also used Titanium Buff (PW6:1)

The litle girl is sculpted with a basket full of candy, but since she is holding some scissors I decided to make it arts and crafts materials and a mirror. I went for a Black, Red and White colour scheme do to the spade on her shirt which reminded me of cards.

The black is painted using Titanium White and Perylene Black (PBk31, which is green-ish in glazes and when tinted with white), I also decided against priming the figure and used the metalic to my advantage by glazing the Perylene over it.
      The redish colour is created by mixing some Quinacridone Magenta(PR122) with Red Iron Oxide(PR101).
      The mirror was done with Prussian Blue (PB27, I just love how it behaves. Only one of the manufacterurs, Matise, that I can get locally sells it in acrylics due to the the pigment chemicaly reacting with the acrylic binders), and Titanium White. 
      The white cloth was done using Titanium White, Nickel Titanate Yellow and some Burnt Umber (PBr7).
      Skin and wood is a mixture of Red Iron Oxide, Burnt Umber, Nickel Titanate Yellow and Titanium White/Buff.

Vampire sending little girl to collect blood with those scissors:

As you can see she is tiny.

Some Reaper Bones, mostly from Bones 4:

Comments on them:
      - The monk and scribe were fun to paint.
      - The death statue was so nice I decided to make it a summon instead, with otherworldy energy showing throught the cracks.
      - The old lady with a cane had her dress done by glazzing colours (ohh look I could make it behaved similar to contrast paints for a litteral fraction of the cost. AU$10 for 60mL of paint + AU$20 for 237mL of glaze medium + some dish soap/flow improver, wonder how many cidatel pots I can make with that especially with the contrast costing about $AU12 per 30mL pot)
      - The pillar has some meted bodies flondering in pain, fun to paint.
      - The Red/Black lady is some Pyrole Red (PR254) + Cerulean Blue(PB35) , and Perylene Black + Titanium White, the skin is made of Mars Violet and Titanium White. Similar to the vampire lord with little girl.
      - Fish lady has a pipe in her hat.

Some minor conversion
      My dreadmare herbalist arrived without the cylinder, I personally didn't really like that design choice so I decided not to ask for a replacement. Instead I was going to do some "magic".

First the gap was filled with some green stuff. This involved resculpting some of the satchel on her frock, the sides of her frock, some skirt and the bag strap.
      =

Then I painted the dress and blocked in some of the colours. 
      Dress: Ultramarien Blue (PB29) + Titanium White
      Frock and shoes: Raw Umber(PBr7), Titanium White and Yellow Ochre(PY43)
      Bag, hedgehogs and hair: Raw Umber .

After a working on and of on her she is mostly finished:

The bag recieved a glaze of Quinacridone Violet (PV19) after it was highlighted with Titanium White + Yellow Ochre +Raw Umber.
      Greens are Ultramarine Blue mixed with different yellows, the minty green is made by Ultramarine Blue and Nickel Titanate Yellow.
      Red is some Red Iron Oxide and Cadmium Red Medium (PR108).
      You may be able to see the eyes and nose of the hedgehogs.
      Perylene Black was used for the metalics.
      I tried to give her some freckles, they look good from the front but I am not sure if I am to happy with one of the side looks. 
      The flower was Nickle Titanate Yellow + Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow (PY139).

Practice With FreeHand
      I did some freehand practice on the Bones 4 milkmaid:

This was achieved by first drawing a square with some diluted Perylene Black and then convering everthing inside and oustide it with thin layers of titanium white.
      The forest was first drawn by just when blending some Prussian Blue, Titanium white and a yellow. The Perylene Black may also have been used.
      The mountain was draw with some Prussian Blue and white, this was grayed with some orangy colour which I can't remember. A lighters glaze was used on the sky. Luckily this blended with the snow covered top of the mountain so I outlined the mountain with the same orange I used to gray the prussian. Then I glazed some Indian Yellow up from the mountain. This created an effect that I really enjoyed (didn't really make vissible green due to the sky being a greyed blue). The top of the dress looked a little empry so I painted a titanium white cloud that had a shadow of the deep grayed prussain at the top and a reflection of the orange at the bottom.

The freehand is the centre piece so I did not want to detract from it with the rest of the paint job.
      To do this I made the dress a desaturated green, but found it to be to empty by itself. 
      To make it pop a little more I drew a patern on it by mixing the dress colour with a lot of Titanium White and then diluting that with some flow improve and lots of water. Then I sketched the lines with the highly translucent mixture. To further highlighty the stripes which were lost in the folds of the dress (bad locaiton choice on the vertical stripes) I decided to make a higher Titanium White mixture that had less water and dot that in each line intercept.
      Now the model is drying (mostly finished) and if the weather permits I will have some nice pictures "Soon". 

Eureka Minatures
      Such characterful miniatures they produce, I will probably spurge for some more on my birthday.

1st Picture: Some duelists. One of them is so secure in his victory he is holding his folded cloak in one hand, or is he hidding something there?
      2nd Picutre: An older lady feeding some chickens, currently missing chickens.
      3rd Picture: has some muscians, I did not take a close up of all of them. They each have their own chairs and sheet music. There are 4 dogs, 2 of them are holding buckets with something in them. 2 chickens, a rooster and 2 chicks
      4th-6th Pictures: musician closeups.
      7th Picture: That lady behind the cow did something so scandalous that the lady further back started chocking, requiring her friend to help. Otherways is just 2 milkmaids, one milking a cow and there is a really curious auroch bull looking at the bucket.
      8th Picture: I am not sure if blowing a seashell horn into the ear of a person is a bright idea, especially if they are dressed like that and holding a scepter staff while you only have a loincloth. The scepter is quiet heavy and a nice weapon, just a warning.

Churning some Butter
      One of the Eureka Miniatures is this boy, he is not that small but still recognisable as a child (goes up to around the shoulder of adult miniatures, so if we take into acount the base of the vampire lord he is only up to underneath his arm.)

The chemise is painted using some glazes of Transparent Red Oxide (PR101) and Burnt Umber over a base coat of Titanium White and Yellow Ochre. Everything but the close and hair has a basecoat of Burnt Umber.
      The shirt is some greyed out (I think I used Transparent Red Oxide in this case) Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White.
      The trouses are Nickle Titanate Yellow, Ultramarine Blue and some Titanium White (they may have been greyed out a little with Transparen Red Oxide). The trim of his trouses is Mars Violet with some Titanium White.

Grumpydot
      Now this old lady is telling us to get off her lawn, so I brightened up her day by splattering her pinkish dress with some dots.

The pink was made out of Cadmium Red Medium and Titanium White. This mixture was further lightened out with Titanium White to make the dots (lots of water with flow aid used to make them nice an easy to paint).

The lady was still grumpy so maybe she did not like those dots? Too late for her then since htey are staying, instead lets give her some stripes. 

Her under-dress was painted a dark green (forgot the mixture, it may have involved some Ivory Black (PBk9) and Green Gold(PY129)) and the stripes were painted using some Nickle Titanate Yellow, Titanium White and the green mixture. To make them stand out more the shadows were glazed with some Perylene Black (I think it was that).
      Some Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White were used to paint the wood,shoes and headscarf.  
      Her hair was painted using Perylene/Ivory Black and Titanium White.

Reaper Speakers

Now this is not the best pictures, the hair looks washed out (it has far deeper shadows than what is seen here). The hair for left and middle is Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre and Titanium white mixtures. The metalics were some Vallejo Liquid Metal "writing rubbed out" Gold. Either old gold or red gold, but sadly my bottle has the name of the colour rubbed out. 

The right lady, had her dress painted by first making a grisalis of Titanium White and Ivory Black, this was then glazed with Pthalo Blue (PB15:3).
      Her yellow decoration where painted using Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow.
      Inner Dress was a mmixture of Prussian Blue and either some Nickle Titanate Yellow or Titanium Buff.
      Hair were washes/glazes of Transparent Red Oxide, Indian Yellow and Burnt Umber.
      The book has some squigles that you can see in real life, but didn't come out in the picture.

The middle lady has a dress of Hanza Yellow Light (PY3) and Pthalo Green (PG 7) which I think is the blue shade. 
      I can't remember her inner dress.

The leftmost lady is painted using OILS, it took her a while to dry, but I just love how using Prussian Blue and then wiping the top came out for her dress. The inner dress is painted with Green Gold. Her scepter handle is some Quinacridone Magenta and white. 

Some of my slowly "Speed" painted Handgunners

I spent about 10-20 minutes on the skin of each figure and then left them bare. Over the course of the last month when I finished doing some painting and had some colour left I would take one of the figure and start blocking in a section of their attire, all sections, but the skin, are highlighted with Colour used+ Titanium White. Overall I would Say that each figure took me about 30-60 minutes of paint time. There are still 2 models left (double of each sculpt). 

1:72 scale Freehand

This guy is about the same hight as the butter churning boy, except he is a lot thinner (somewhat realistic proportions), I allready finished painting him. Sadly I don't have a photo of him right now, so the onnly thing I can show you is that I painted stripes on his throuses. The throuses and cape are Cerulean Blue and Titaniym White, The stripes are heavily diluted Perylene Black. 
    • By Darcstaar
      My 5 1/2 yo son is super into Batman.  I had set up a Pathfinder game for the grownups, but only filled 2/4 seats.  My son has shown a little and growing interest in tabletop gaming.  So I made some stats for Batman as a Pathfinder character and used his LEGO Batman on the battle grid.

Here are how it came out: attributes were rolled.
      Race Human
      Class Ranger (Urban) lvl 1
      Str 16
      Dex 19 (+2 human)
      Con 14 
      Int 13
      Wis 14
      Cha 8

Favored Class Ranger +1 HP
      Trait: Rich Parents
      Trait: Deft Dodger (+1 Reflex)
      Favored Enemy Humanoid (human)
      Feat - Improved Unarmed Strike
      Feat Human - Exotic Weapon Prof - Shuriken

Skills - don’t remember exactly, sheet isn’t in front of me:
      Acrobatics, Craft (alchemy), Disable Device, knowledge (local), perception, Survival, Stealth

Gear- I took some liberties here for flavor:
      Mwk Studded Leather, Batarangs(shuriken shaped like a bat available in a lethal or non lethal variety), smoke bombs (combine thunderstone and smoke stick in one thrown item same price as both combined), Mwk thieves tools, sap, spiked gauntlets x 2 (his sharp things sticking out of his arms), Grapnel: (Light Crossbow + 50ft silk rope + Mwk grappling hook + 100gp to account for the “gnomish winch”) I would have loved to make it a hand crossbow, but didn’t want to waste two feats on exotics.  I just tacked on cost to the various gear to use up the gold from rich parents and still leave him with a good kit.

He made level two and I chose an alt. Option for weapon style: thrown weapon.  That gave him bonus feat of Precise Shot without needing Point Blank Shot, but I plan on adding it later.

Let me know what you think.

My son didn’t have the attention span to stay at the table for long: his cousins were in the pool, so he ended up there.  My friend always plays the Cleric, but he ran Batman as a second character and had a blast with it.
    • By Xiwo Xerase
      BattleTech is one of my long time loves for games and it's what got me into the miniature hobby.  I have actually been avoiding painting my BattleTech minis for a while so I'm hoping this will give me some amount of momentum.

The four miniatures featured in this WIP thread are, from left to right:
      Catalyst Game Labs Cyclops, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack. Iron Wind Metals 20-200, Griffin GRF-6S, metal (standing in for a Griffin GRF-3M). Iron Wind Metals 20-211, Archer ARC-8M, metal (standing in for an Archer ARC-2R). Catalyst Game Labs Catapult, plastic, from the Fire Lance Pack.  

These make up the Fire Lance of the Marik Militia company I have painting off-and-on (mostly off).  The colors of the Marik Militia are purple, with blue highlights on one side and red highlights on another.  Here's an example I've already painted:

The metal minis have been based using Iron Wind Metals hex bases.  The plastic minis have been removed from their integral plastic bases and based on Proxie Models plastic hex bases.  All of the minis have been glued via glue gun onto little holders I made from spare parts (PVC pipe, a wooden dowel, and washers).  These are mounted via magnets on my normal painting holders (plastic tubes with a squared base).  The point of the holders is for easy removal from the holders for photography.  (This was actually my first time using a glue gun so if some of the minis look crooked compared to the base, that's why.)

The minis have been primed white using Reaper Brush-On Primer and then painted with a mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water to show details.  (All of them but the Archer were painted using a 1:2 mix of Brown Liner and Brush-On Sealer.  The Archer was painted using a 1:1:1 mix of Brown Liner, Brush-On Sealer, and water.)  The bases have been covered (or filled) with paver sand glued down with superglue.  (I'm pretty sure I picked this up from @Weird-O.)

Here's an obligatory picture with Sir Forscale:

I've included pictures of the minis in spoilers:

Archer

Catapult

Cyclops

Griffin

I'm going to point some of the obvious mistakes to get those out of the way:
      There are some mold lines that didn't get filed down. There is some detail that should probably have been enhanced (for example, filing down more on the Griffin's missile pod and recreating that detail, or drilling some of the missile launcher holes deeper). Some detail in the Archer's missile launchers has been obscured by CA glue and will need to be recreated with paint.  (Gluing on the missile launcher doors was painful.) When the Catapult was removed from its integral base, it's outside toes were mangled. Neither of the metal minis are pinned.  This is a pretty big mistake and will be painful if either of then fall.  
      Some of these mistakes won't be addressed.  I'm going to live with that.

So let's talk painting.  The guiding principle, beyond the Marik Militia parade scheme is "rule of cool".   It doesn't make sense for weapon barrels and joints to be metallic but it looks cool.  The planned colors are:
      Primary purple: Amethyst Purple Blue accents: Cyan Blue Red accents: Phoenix Red Weapon barrels: Honed Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Joints: Tarnished Steel, enhanced with the Bones metallics Hands and other rubbers: Stone Grey Base sand: Yellowed Ivory Base rim: Gem Purple  
      I'm still trying to decide the cockpit glass color.  On the other Marik Militia minis I've painted (like the Black Knight above), I've just used Adamantium Black.

(An aside about base rims: When I paint BattleTech minis associated with a particular fashion, I paint the rim of the base a color based on the faction.  Since the Marik Militia are part of the Free Worlds League Military (except for when the League doesn't exist), the base color is purple.  I have a spreadsheet of faction colors I made some time ago, before the Bones paints came out.  It uses some HD paints that aren't going to be rereleased, so I'll need to revisit that.)

The challenge here is to paint all four minis to tabletop, in a timely manner, and without drybrushing (except the base sand, which will be drybrushed).  Let's see if I can finish this by, say, the end of July.
    • By Unruly
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/description

Fantasy Grounds Unity is the name of the upcoming version of our virtual tabletop software, Fantasy Grounds. It's been completely rebuilt from the ground up in Unity. Read on to find out what this all means and why we are excited for this project.
      Fantasy Grounds is a popular system for playing a host of different roleplaying games online.  It is used by more than 130,000 gamers worldwide to connect and play popular games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, and more.  This type of program is commonly referred to as a virtual tabletop, or VTT, due to their ability to emulate various part of an RPG session in a digital form.
      What makes Fantasy Grounds different than competitors is how we expose character sheets and automate large portions of gameplay specifically for each system we support.  This is done through rulesets.  Your experience playing Deadlands Reloaded will differ from D&D and will be unique to that environment, contain custom graphics, character sheets, and automation specific to that game system.  
      One feature shared across most game systems is maps.  Some may use hexes while others use square grids and some may not use grids at all.  Facing is important in some and less so in others.  While FG has featured maps for many years, they have been primarily focused as reproductions of maps in existing adventure modules from our many licensed publishers. We believe that we can enhance these to provide dynamic line of sight, fog of war, and even map building support with painting and tiles.
      What you get for backing this project will be a license for Fantasy Grounds Unity (or FGU). This new game engine has all the great features of current version of Fantasy Grounds (soon to be called Fantasy Grounds Classic) along with new enhanced features. 
      Original Features Supported:
      Multiplayer support for playing tabletop games of Dungeons & Dragons (2E, 3.5E, 4E and 5E), Pathfinder RPG 1, Pathfinder RPG 2, Starfinder. Built-in content for D&D 3.5E, 5E and Pathfinder 1 Officially licensed add-on content available for D&D, D&D Classics (2E), Pathfinder, Starfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Basic Roleplaying, Castles & Crusades, Mutants & Masterminds, 13th Age, W.O.I.N., Traveller, and Rolemaster Classic Generic system support through our CoreRPG ruleset Brilliant Campaign Management Integrated character sheets with lots of automation built in for playing and leveling (depending on ruleset and content owned) Combat Tracking 3D dice Fantasy Grounds Unity Enhanced Features Include:
      64-bit support to allow for more content (quality and quantity) Native support for Mac, Linux and Windows PC Network lobby for easy hosting and joining of games (no port forwarding required) Tile based map building Enhanced Drawing Tools Additional Dice Macros support A new FGU only skin Dynamic Line of Sight with enhanced toggle blockers Paint with images, such as walls Animated image effects Backward compatibility with all existing campaigns and DLC from FGC In addition to these features, we are now poised to add even greater functionality going forward. We have lots of ideas for new features and this rebuilt engine will make it easier for us reach those goals and deliver consistent updates for free. 
      Tile based Map Building
      Dynamic Line of Sight (LOS) and Fog of War (FOW)
      Map Fx Layers
      We have already devoted over 4 years and 10,000 developer hours to this project. Any funds raised will help us push it over the edge and begin work on new features and functionality. If the project does exceptionally well, this may even allow us to add even more resources to the team.
      We have over 1200 existing DLC and add-ons. Our goal is to prioritize these by popularity and work on enhancing as many of these as we can. Without enhancements, they will continue to function as they always have in Fantasy Grounds Classic. You will be able to add dynamic line of sight to maps and begin using the new features straight away. As we work through this large back catalog of DLC, we will do all the enhancement and upgrade work for you so you can just load it up and begin using the advanced features without having to define any Line of Sight blockers yourself. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/description
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 4 Anonymous, 158 Guests (See full list)