Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Identify this vintage giant/ogre?

I've posted this before without any luck, but the recent demonstrations of miniature identification prowess give me some hope.

image.jpg5_zpsuczqr2df.jpg

image.jpg6_zpseaxp5sgk.jpg

What I know about this figure: he was one of two in a package, and I think the other was different. My brother bought them in a hobby shop in Massachusetts on a family vacation around 1976/7. The other one has gone missing, so we can't check for bottom markings. I painted and based this guy up in the early 90s, and I'm not so desperate yet as to break him off the base to see if there are any base markings.

He looks a little like this Heritage mountain troll, but isn't:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:Heritage-Fantasy-1314a.jpg

You'd think the limited number of manufacturers at the time would make this easy...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

Necro'ing this thread:

I'm afraid that the collective was unable to identify this figure...

However, in the fullness of time, it came to pass that a copy was offered on eBay, and I was able to win it. The seller had identified it as the similar Heritage 1314, which I have suspected is not the case. It arrived today.

image.jpg2_zpsszplxmwf.jpg

And, as you can see, it's basically untouched, so I flipped it up to find:

image.jpg1_zpslsmefjyf.jpg

It has previously been noted that the "Circle A" logo belongs to Adina. Since the Adina information on the Lost Minis Wiki is incomplete, I don't have a catalog number, but at least the manufacturer mystery is solved. Two and a half months isn't a new speed record, though...::D: I'm a little off on my memory of the timing of the purchase, assuming that the 1978 copyright date is correct, but it's still not too bad for almost forty years.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 10

Can this info be added to the Lost Minis Wiki?

Should be...the issue will be that they need to create an "unknown Adina" section, since this isn't the only figure I have that doesn't match any of the empty descriptions there. There are a lot of gaps in the catalog numbers; I'm guessing they must have not done much advertising in the magazines, even, and I need to go look at the reviews in early Dragons again.

I'm amazed that the surface is so nice given the age. I would've expected lead rot if you'd told me it was an unprimed model from that era without any pictures!

I'm amazed that the surface is so nice given the age. I would've expected lead rot if you'd told me it was an unprimed model from that era without any pictures!

As long as it is kept away from acidic environments or those which give off acids and acidic gasses, such as wooden drawers or wood pulp cardboard, lead can last pretty well.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I spent lunches last week on these two stands of Saxons for the Osprey Game Dux Bellorum, in which each stand is a unit on its own.  All of the figures are home cast, mostly Prince August with a few spearmen from Dutkins Collectables. For the Saxon army, I'm doing it all with home cast figures, partly as an excuse for having the molds, partly as an artistic challenge. Practically speaking, there's probably more individualization and detail work than is actually necessary for a mass tabletop unit, but I like to err on the extra side...

• By Shogun
      I'm taking the leap and about to buy my first airbrush for mini painting and was hoping I could get some advice on what to buy. The Airbrushing: compendium has been very helpful and I've spent hours, days, what feels like years researching and I want to pull the trigger... I live in Canada and after ringing around some hobbyshops etc it seems amazon is the best bang for my buck. I have paint and access to a Campbell Hausfeld 2 Gallon Air Compressor (I will purchase another compressor in a few months once I have some more disposable income). My main concerns are does this compressor work with the airbrush listed below, do I need anything else? Heres what I've got in mind:   NEO CN GRAVITY-FEED DUAL-ACTION AIRBRUSH $97.20 CAD Paasche 10-foot Nylon Braided Hose $18 CAD Airbrush Cleaner 4 Kit, Washing Tools - Glass Cleaning Pot etc $22 CAD Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner 85ml $7 CAD   any advice would be appreciated
    • By Rob Dean
      So, in the course of loading my miniatures onto the storage shelves last weekend, I opened a box of partially painted figures to find this group.  Sold by Archive in the late '70s, I've owned these since then.  My original paint job on them was unappealing enough that I didn't end up rebasing them in the great rebasing I undertook in the late '90s, and they languished until I started reworking vintage fantasy stuff from my collection around 2015.  Unfortunately they have been languishing again since then, so when I found them this weekend, I decided to dry brush the heck out of them and base them up for gaming.  

• By Blue22111
      Hi! I just got some Warhammer pink horrors and have no idea what MSP colors to buy to paint them. I have no pinks at all and don't know what would be best. Does anyone have any advice?

Note that I have all of the citadel shades so I think I'm covered there.

Thanks in advance!
    • By Pingo
      So, as I mentioned, I was given a pristine old Grenadier set of Champions supervillains for Christmas.

On the cover is a little splash logo: “FREE Starter Scenario Game Aid and Figure Accessories”

The “Starter Scenario Game Aid” is just a folded piece of paper with a hex map on one side and some suggestions on the other.

But the “Figure Accessories” are two actual, substantial molded pieces: a pair of rockets and what I think is a hover-scooter.

You can see them in the middle row on the far right, between two figures, here:
      https://mobile.twitter.com/AchronalA/status/1078009215850029058

These two pieces are not pictured on the box art, nor are they listed in the set description.

They definitely go with the set. The box was sealed when I received it.

They are not mentioned nor shown on the Lost Minis Wiki page of the set: 
      http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Champions_(Grenadier)#4002_Super_Villains_Box_Set

Question: Should I document and upload pictures of these accessories to the wiki?
  • Who's Online   38 Members, 1 Anonymous, 129 Guests (See full list)