Sign in to follow this  
alienufo

Pathfinder Red Dragon (painted as a black)

This is only the 5th mini I've painted.  You can see my previous one here to see how much better I've gotten: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/66919-77385-sir-rathan-kranzhel-human-fighter/

Still not great at taking pictures of them but here goes...

Pzvc6dD.jpg

q6tXZEh.jpg

EtyLLnm.jpg

1Zicf2K.jpg

I've mostly finished this but still got some touching up to do and details. 

Question for the more experienced folks. How do I highlight black? I was thinking about doing some more highlights for the scales but I don't know what would look good on black.  Obviously you can't get much darker than black....

• Like 7

He is definitely an improvement and he looks really happy to be here.

Black is one of the harder colors to highlight. Personally, I cheat when I need black and paint it blue-black (a very dark blue to where it is almost black but not quite. You'll have to go outside reaper paints for that though as they no longer make that color) and then shade it black and highlight it with a less dark blue. Some of the really experienced painters will likely have a better plan though.

Edited by EvilJames

Looks nice! I definitely agree you choose a difficult color to highlight and photograph. Try putting it in front of a dark background; that way the photos won't get washed out by the white.

Personally, I cheat when I need black and paint it blue-black (a very dark blue to where it is almost black but not quite. You'll have to go outside reaper paints for that though as they no longer make that color)

Try MSP 09280 Nightmare Black.
  • Like 1

Looks nice! I definitely agree you choose a difficult color to highlight and photograph. Try putting it in front of a dark background; that way the photos won't get washed out by the white.

Personally, I cheat when I need black and paint it blue-black (a very dark blue to where it is almost black but not quite. You'll have to go outside reaper paints for that though as they no longer make that color)

I have it. It's not dark enough when compared to the propaint blue-black. It is great for providing shadows for my other blues though. It might even make a good highlight for my blue-black (I haven't tried that though)

Just watched a video by painting Buddha on Youtube about black armor. Should point you in the right direction. I use blue in my black highlights a lot too.

Its not a pure black paint. The scales are actually "Nightshade purple" which comes out looking pretty damn black. I do have Nightmare black and thought about using it but it looks very blue coming out of the bottle. hmmm.

• Like 1

Its not a pure black paint. The scales are actually "Nightshade purple" which comes out looking pretty damn black. I do have Nightmare black and thought about using it but it looks very blue coming out of the bottle. hmmm.

Well then you are half way there. Nightmare black won't help you here since you are effectively using purple-black. (I might need to get that) and you can use the same concept. Just shade with a black wash and highlight with a lighter purple. Unfortunately since I don't have nightshade purple I don't know what a good highlight for it would be.