jcg

Dwarven Forge KS4

It's a shame they didn't have prebuilt no stretch goal pieces earlier. I think that those are what a lot of people wanted (not me, I'm going whole hog Grand Citadel unless they blow me away with an epic top tier pre built castle) and that as they get released pledges are going to rise big time. 

I wish they had been doing this earlier because cracking the numbers on all the different options while making sure you got what you needed and didn't end up short a piece or with a hole somewhere in your wall has been pretty frustrating to me.  I don't want to see photos of a bunch of different pieces scattered everywhere: just show me what you can make with this particular pledge.

This Count's Castle is beautiful looking and at first blush seems the most reasonable way to get the most potentially expensive and attractive items in the project: the watchtowers.  They are 190 each for free-standing ones so four partials as a part of this is reasonable. 

The inner courtyard looks too small as it stands but I could see adding some wall packs and a pack of crenellations to this and just using my DF1 pieces for the inner courtyard (I don't see an add-on for 8x8 floor packs anywhere). 

Count's Castle: 585

Two packs of straight walls add-ons: 110

Citadel Crenellations add ons: 110

805 total  (unpainted)

Even then I'm not sure how the straight wall add-ons would work with the Count's Castle as it stands, because of those really short wall section on either side of the drawbridge. 

Here's a question which indicates my confusion: If the citadel crenellations are meant to go with the Citadel pledge, then why are there only two corners in the citadel crenellations when there are four corners on the Citadel?  Am I missing something?  This kind of thing is what makes me hesitant as I can't figure out what goes with what.

• Like 1

This Count's Castle is beautiful looking and at first blush seems the most reasonable way to get the most potentially expensive and attractive items in the project: the watchtowers.

Here's a question which indicates my confusion: If the citadel crenellations are meant to go with the Citadel pledge, then why are there only two corners in the citadel crenellations when there are four corners on the Citadel?  Am I missing something?  This kind of thing is what makes me hesitant as I can't figure out what goes with what.

Careful: Those are the 4" towers, not the 6" towers. Three watchtowers would cost $570 alone; so this would be a ridiculous deal if they were watchtowers.   It's still a very good deal with the 4" towers. If you add up the cost of a castle + inside walls + crenelations + roughly 5 small tower (two floor) sets + small tower roofs set and two crenelations sets, that would be come $650-$700. (It's not an exact match). If those were watchtowers instead, this build would be significantly more expensive.   All this will be more clear when they release the parts list (hopefully  today). 

For the crenelations, the gatehouse comes with 4 corners. The expectation is that two of them will be replaced by straight pieces from the crenelations pack for a continuous path along the battlements, which allows the other two from the gatehouse to be used in the citadel corners.  This is something that should have been explained better because the question gets asked just about every other day. 

• Like 1

Count's Castle: 585

Two packs of straight walls add-ons: 110

Citadel Crenellations add ons: 110

805 total  (unpainted)

I think if you're just looking to expand to a citadel, you could just go with two ramparts add-ons (16 tiles) to match the 8 walls from the two wall packs. 

• Like 2

This Count's Castle is beautiful looking and at first blush seems the most reasonable way to get the most potentially expensive and attractive items in the project: the watchtowers.

Careful: Those are the 4" towers, not the 6" towers. Three watchtowers would cost $570 alone; so this would be a ridiculous deal if they were watchtowers.   It's still a very good deal with the 4" towers. If you add up the cost of a castle + inside walls + crenelations + roughly 5 small tower (two floor) sets + small tower roofs set and two crenelations sets, that would be come $650-$700. (It's not an exact match). If those were watchtowers instead, this build would be significantly more expensive.   All this will be more clear when they release the parts list (hopefully  today). 

For the crenelations, the gatehouse comes with 4 corners. The expectation is that two of them will be replaced by straight pieces from the crenelations pack for a continuous path along the battlements, which allows the other two from the gatehouse to be used in the citadel corners.  This is something that should have been explained better because the question gets asked just about every other day. 

Thank you so much for these answers!  And I hope my confusion isn't too annoying.  It is really hard to tell the difference and the images keep getting smaller and smaller. 

I spent a fair amount of time on the project site this morning comparing images and doing math and yet I managed to come away just as mixed up as I was before.  Sigh ...

• Like 2

Thank you so much for these answers!  And I hope my confusion isn't too annoying.  It is really hard to tell the difference and the images keep getting smaller and smaller. 

I spent a fair amount of time on the project site this morning comparing images and doing math and yet I managed to come away just as mixed up as I was before.  Sigh ...

I'm expecting that all the "pre-built" castles have nicely laid-out parts pieces along with the pictures, which should make that kind of thing more clear. I know we've been told that specifically that they're working on doing that. It's difficult because something like this demands a lot of possibilities, and the fact is that they do have a number of extremely interesting ways to make things modular and work together. But to the casual observer, none of that is clear. Seeing the pre-built castle can lead you to believe its not very modular. Seeing the many pieces can leave you lost as to what to do with them.  But most of these pieces can be recombined in interesting ways (for example, Nate has a nice graphic on the project page of the five different ways one can do walls, and a lot of these pieces can be dropped into a dungeon or city build). They definitely could have presented some things much better for new and less obsessive potential backers, and they're trying to make up for that now, I think. There are a lot of good people in the comments who can answer questions, but a person shouldn't have to either be obsessive or lodge numerous queries to see how things go together. There are a number of add-ons where a few words of explanation would clarify things greatly.   

Edit: Oh, all this is to say that your confusion isn't annoying at all, but quite justified. I think it's a fantastic system, and there are a ton of beautiful things here that many artists and artisans have put together... but I wish they'd planned the presentation and consulted potential customers on their approach prior to running the KS.  A lot of confusion could have been avoided by catching it early. 

Edited by sigmaone
  • Like 1

Oh, also they dropped the first minis of the campaign this morning. Nice little castle defenders. There is another larger pack of same minis called castle siege defenders. 991e2f7b51429fe31059c1097e1143ca_origina

It's worth noted that the archer is (intended to be) an appropriately dressed female. I love the rock thrower. He's got a great look on his face. 

Edited by sigmaone

Here is the big preconfigured pledge.  There will also be a "Sorcerer's Sanctum" which I'm guessing will come in below the $585 Count's Castle.  I assume the parts lists will be made available soon.

83565bcbd339061ab9ef1c30cd8608f5_origina

• Like 2

I look at these every KS and just can't find any way to justify getting them.  They just don't work for me.  My group of PCs is too large (8-9 PCs) to start with.  Not enough room for them and the enemy.  And then no place to leave something like this setup.  We rotate 3 GMs (3 completely different games, each GM does 2 weeks on their game, then 4 weeks off on the other 2 games) so setting this up and taking it down each time wouldn't work.

Having said that, great stuff,  They look incredible.  Just don't work out all in our games (not a bad thing given the price I suppose).

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting the wizard's outpost and plopping it down on top of the watchtower. I have a little from all 3 of the previous kickstarters. I feel like I can mock up a square castle (obviously not as beautifully as from this kickstarter) with the first k1 pieces, but can't reproduce the towers. 

I'm thinking of getting the wizard's outpost and plopping it down on top of the watchtower. I have a little from all 3 of the previous kickstarters. I feel like I can mock up a square castle (obviously not as beautifully as from this kickstarter) with the first k1 pieces, but can't reproduce the towers. 

I think a lot of folks are on the same page as you on that. I've seen a lot of people say they're getting just tower stuff and crenelations. If you already got the battlements from KS 3 then you might already be all set on crenelations, too. I got some, but not enough. 

• Like 1