jcg

Dwarven Forge KS4

Here's my plan divided up into what I can pledge now and pledge later in the pledge manager:

Initial Pledge: 

Grand Citadel

Sorcerer's Sanctum

Grand Citadel Inside Wall

Double Thick Wall

Motorized Draw Bridge

Pledge Manager:

Mega Mountain Pack

Mountain Elevation Pack

Transition Pack x2

Small Tower Fortified x2

Cathedral Roof

Small Tower Roof (Though I may swap out cathedral and tower roofs for Tower Roof mega pack, still undecided there)

This should allow me to build a four tower castle (two small towers, two larger towers). Then using that bridge in the sanctum prebuilt set, I will have a bridge from one of my castle towers to a lonely tower in the sea or a top a lonely peak.

Also I'm still waiting to see what they do with battlements, because  want double thick walls I need a lot of what they offered in the last KS, or something new that hasn't been revealed yet.

Edited by ungoreatstefan

Looks like a great build!

They have not revealed the straight "battlements" yet (as opposed to crenelations -- battlements are large and protrude 1" beyond the wall, with machicolations, while crenalations don't protrude much). These can be seen on the Watchtower, and on the front of the inner keep in the Royal Stronghold level. So we know they're making them; they just haven't made add-ons for them available yet. 

Also, they have stated that the KS 3 battlements currently available from the store (which are the equivalent of the KS 4 crenelations in size, but one-sided -- confusing, I know) can be used for this. I don't know if they will become available here or not.

Yeah I'm waiting to see the "straight" battlements pack which I think will be released tonight. That way I can decide whether I want to use the ones from KS3 or the new ones.

The worst thing is going to be waiting for next January to play with my castle :( 

Ideally I'd get the castle, square tower pack, motorized drawbridge, mega mountain, mountain peak, mountain elevation, the giant floors, and the sorceror sanctum.

I just don't know what wall pack I'd need to expand the outside walls enough to make the square tower in the middle like a keep

Edited by NomadZeke

Ideally I'd get the castle, square tower pack, motorized drawbridge, mega mountain, mountain peak, mountain elevation, the giant floors, and the sorceror sanctum.

I just don't know what wall pack I'd need to expand the outside walls enough to make the square tower in the middle like a keep

How big would you want the keep to be? One way to save money if you don't care about stretch goals much is to buy the gatehouse + 2 x corner walls + (1x) straight walls. If I add right, that's $249 unpainted, which saves $50 off a Castle pledge at the cost of not getting the flagstone flooring or stretch goals. At this (castle) footprint, you'd have room for a 4x4 keep with  2 inches around it (since the outer walls are 12" long and the platforms extend inward by 2") . (That assumes you don't want inner walls, which would take away another inch on the interior.)  You'd have 1 wall/space left over since the Straight wall pack comes with 4 and you'd only need 3.. Adding 2 more straight wall packs (on top of the one already mentioned with the corner packs) at $112 total brings you to a Citadel footprint at much lower cost than the citadel. That's a 16" interior square, again assuming you don't use inner walls.   To get a feel for what you can fit, have a loot at the Royal Stronghold... that's the same interior area as citadel. They have a nice little keep along the back wall, with plenty of space up front for a courtyard. If you choose to mix 1 long wall pack with 1 straight wall pack (again on top of the already mentioned straight wall pack), you can get larger dimensions at roughly the same price --- the one straight wall pack for two more 4" sections on the front and back to give a 16" interior length on the front, and 1 long wall pack placing a 12" long wall on each of the left and right sides, giving you a 20" interior length on those sides. (So you have a 20x24 exterior footprint and a 16x20 interior footprint.)

If you do go with Castle (and get the admittedly nice SGs) then you can do the same thing: 2 straight wall packs brings you up to Citadel or 1 straight and 1 long gets you even more space, but at the cost of modularity and $2 more. 

The modularity issue hits home a bit when you realize with this configuration, you can't make the gatehouse side the long side if you want the gatehouse centered, ... now with 2 long wall packs and 1 straight wall pack...  ...I could go on like this all day.. I better just shut up now. 

I'm currently at citadel with a square tower.

The idea is to create something that's not an massive fortification..simple outside walls, keep. Modular is always good.kinda like http://s3.amazonaws.com/makexyz/cache/4c/61/4c61cae32432cf4781174b4a8992393d.jpg

I have a larger castle from renaissance minis. So I'm not looking for a big fancy one

Edited by NomadZeke

New add-ons including the fancy tower bridge, stairs pack, and lower prices and more posts on LED packs sudue to fixing an error. Nate posted some amazing pics showing off modularity to the forums this evening. I think forum rules prevent posting a link?

And this video of the Siege of Valoria, which probably represents a $10,000 pledge but is mind blowing. https://youtu.be/W0XVRYwNmy4

Edited by sigmaone

A lot of great add-ons came out today.  They wanted to get the main things out at least 48 hours ahead of time so that people have a chance to look over it and decide.

• "hanging" parapet towers -- I don't know what these are called, but they're awesome.
  • great nicely priced LED post packs and swappable LED sculpted pieces for sconces, torches, etc.
  • 8x8 flagstone floors, as well as a floor assortment pack containing 4x8,1x6, 2x2 (trapdoors), and 1z1
  • big battlements 
  • modular castle walls to integrate CBS walls
  • very nice stairs & elevation pack
  • platforms to integrate dungeon and cavern tiles (useful for vertical builds with dungeon and cavern tiles, 4x4, 4x8, 8x8)
  • lovely modular tower bridge

All very compelling packs.  Still expecting Castle Ruins and Moat... they might not make it out before the end of the KS but should be in the pledge manager.

• Like 1

Castle Ruins?  Castle Ruins?  I sure would like to see those.  I can see them having lots of uses. 

This Kickstarter reminds me of that feeling you have when you're a little kid and you see all these amazing toys that you know you could never in a million years get for Christmas because they're too expensive.  Which is a feeling I haven't had in a long time.

So on a more serious note, those LED thingies -- are they free standing with their own power source internal unless it is marked as needing a "Modular powered socket"?

I could see myself really liking some lantern posts if I can use them with anything I want.  Then I wouldn't feel left out of the fun.

I suppose if I was only interested in add-ons later it would still make sense to pledge for the wizard's outpost at the very least, since it includes the shipping and gets you around that $20 pledge level just for add-ons.

Can you pledge a dollar now and bump up to other levels in the pledge manager? 

I suppose if I was only interested in add-ons later it would still make sense to pledge for the wizard's outpost at the very least, since it includes the shipping and gets you around that $20 pledge level just for add-ons.

I haven't gotten a straight answer on this exactly. I've asked in the comments, and they're sending the question up for the official word.  I know that you can add money in the pledge manager later. I know that you can change your pledge level later, and add money for add-ons or pledge levels later. But many people (backers, not official) are saying that you cannot select anything in the pledge manager beyond the amount of money you've pledged before the end of KS. I think this is based on past experience, and I know they've made changes to the policy, so I want to ask. 

The smallest pledge level eligible for Add-ons is $20.  The $1 level specifically says you are not eligible for stretch goals or add-ons.

I haven't gotten a straight answer on this exactly. I've asked in the comments, and they're sending the question up for the official word.  I know that you can add money in the pledge manager later. I know that you can change your pledge level later, and add money for add-ons or pledge levels later. But many people (backers, not official) are saying that you cannot select anything in the pledge manager beyond the amount of money you've pledged before the end of KS. I think this is based on past experience, and I know they've made changes to the policy, so I want to ask. 

I know that in KS3 you could select a base pledge based on the amount you initially pledged, or lower. Meaning I pledged enough to cover a five "sets" pledge and some add ons, but not enough to cover a ten "sets" pledge. I was not capable of selecting the larger pledge level in the pledge manager without adding the ten "set" pledge level on top of a lower pledge level (but I could have dropped down to the two "set" level and added a ten "set" on top of that). I was free to add any add on pack that I could afford. No idea if that applies to this time as well.