Sign in to follow this  
EngineerJeff

Reaper Bones Gnoll

I am feverishly painting this year in an attempt to get my existing pile of bones finished before the Bones 3 Kickstarter package arrives at my door.  This tutorial is how I painted my Reaper Bones Gnoll.  Please let me know what you think.

• Like 12

EngineerJeff,

Awesome video!  Definitely a pleasure to watch you work and it was enormously helpful for me as a beginner to see techniques in action that I've read about but not fully understood, and even some I haven't read about!  The model came out awesome in the end, very impressive.

If I may ask, what brush is used in your video?  Caught bits of the label here and there but couldn't seem to get the whole thing.  I've had a number of people recommend several brushes, but actually seeing this one in action....

tumblr_inline_nm2eyg4sSt1smp0gs_400.jpg

Thanks!  Great work!

• Like 1

Hey Jeff,

I wanted to post a bit of an addendum with some more concrete evidence that your video really helped me out!

On the left is a before picture, I basically would have considered this cloak done at my level.  On the right, after watching your video, I decided to try out some light gray highlights on the cloak, followed by several layers of a glaze of the base cloak color heavily diluted.

post-14799-0-85042900-1455035996.jpgpost-14799-0-29267100-1455035996.jpg

I may have overdone the glaze as the highlights are a bit more subdued than I was shooting for, but I'm really happy with the depth and realism added by using this technique.  Also, flash photography does it no justice as the before photo with flash looks like it has highlights just because of the intense flash.  Naked eye in natural light, the difference is night and day.  Thanks again for posting this video, this technique especially is one I would highly recommend to other beginners and plan to utilize myself much more in the future!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for making this video. As somebody who wants to get into this hobby quite seriously, but has not much experience and even less education on how to do it, this was immensely helpful. I feel so much smarter for having seen it. Please keep making more of these sorts of videos. It is so useful to see somebody who can paint as well as you demonstrating like this.

It's a flail, by the way. Specifically it's a one-handed variety with a rounded ball at the end (sometimes also called a chain mace), which was a military weapon derived from the two-handed cylindrical flail. The latter type is basically an agricultural tool used for threshing, improvised into a peasant weapon. They added spikes, then they made it usable one-handed. Then apparently they let gnolls use 'em  ::P:.