Jump to content

  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rob Dean
      Without going into the whole background, these guys are from Prince August “Irish Wild Geese” 40mm semi-flat home casting molds.  I’ve been working with these molds and figures for almost thirty years at this point, and have enough for most purposes, so it’s been a while since I painted any.  Pictures of games with them can be found on my blog.  We generally paint them somewhere in the classic toy soldier spectrum rather than as museum-style diorama miniatures, and these, like the rest of my collection, are done in fictitious uniforms for imaginary countries. (Or “imagi-nations” in historical miniature wargamer jargon...)
       

       

       
      While they may presently get their own cannon, here they are grouped around one of my generic spares, to show that the field hockey player is really aiming by using a lever to move the trail.
       

    • By Rob Dean
      With my British infantry unit done, I finally sat down this morning to get started on French Revolution project expansion unit #2 (of 7+).  This time it's British cavalry, and with the rules we'll be using (A Gentleman's War), the default cavalry unit is six figures.
       

       
      My recent casting sessions have produced the parts, so it's now a case of assembling them into some semblance of what I'm looking for:
       

       
      I see that I will be going back to file off even more of the original lapels and lace from the basic casting, and I'm going to try to add the rest of the helmet crest with some green stuff before painting.  
       
      I built up the first figure as a test this morning.
       

       

       
       
       
    • By Rob Dean
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86590-40mm-french-revolutionary-wars-british/
       
      As described above, finished up today...
       

       
      Now on to the next unit...
    • By Rob Dean
      I went up to Portland, Maine a couple of weeks ago for a historical miniatures gaming convention, and found, when the dust settled, that I was pledging to expand an existing French Revolutionary Wars project from a skirmish game into a battle game for next year.  Details are in my blog.
       
      I am using home cast figures from multiple part German molds.  After a solid casting session last week, I have a good stock of parts, so I settled in on Friday to see what I could do to build a unit of these 1792/3 British:
       

       
      I started off on Friday morning with parts, super glue, files, and an X-acto knife, and things were moving right along.
       

       
      Despite having other things to do, by Friday night my 12-man unit was assembled.
       

       
      I sprayed everything with black primer yesterday morning, and started in around lunch time.  By 3:00 or so, I had the main colors roughed in on all of them.
       

       
      At that point, I wanted to see what they were going to look like when finished, so I took one figure from the group and lined the color separations, detailed the face, and did the various buttons and lace. 
       

       

       
      My past experience with these figures is that the easiest way for me to get them done is to paint them in assembly line fashion until I reach a point where I have to turn a single figure around to deal with the lining and face, etc., after which it's faster to take them to completion one at a time.  Since the last time I did a group of these, I've taken to using a wet palette, which looks like it will make that process easier, since the five or six colors of paint needed for the completion will all stay usable between figures.
       
      For a unit like this, small irregularities are not going to show on the table, but I wish that I had picked a different figures to finish for the initial pictures.  i was well into this before I noted that the glue used to attach his head had left some roughness on the face, so he looks like a smallpox survivor.  En masse, though, it shouldn't draw the eye.
       
      Now, on with the other 11...
    • By GlenP
      This is Scale 75's Ares Operator 03. It's a 40mm resin future soldier and apparently part of a gaming system. The package had some cards in it, but since I don't play the game, they're a bit lost on me... Anyhoo...
       
      The figure is four parts - head, upper torso/arms, lower torso/legs, and the rifle with molded on hands. Cleanup was taking care of the usual casting seams and the removal of bits and pieces of mold trash. I used the gray Stynelrez primer (brushed on out of the bottle) and Reaper MSP paints. I used a Dremel tool and ball/dovetail cutters to mark up/damage the armor and went with a splotchy green camo. While they have their place, I tend not to use bright colors on military figures because all they say to me is 'Here I am! Shoot me!'.
       
      The figure is mounted on a sanded/stained wood craft block with Aves Apoxie Sculpt groundwork, kitty litter rocks and somebody's weeds. I added a dripping rusty pipe coming out of the ground and a large putty teddy bear. 
       
      Qs and Cs welcomed.
       
      Glen 




  • Who's Online   37 Members, 3 Anonymous, 174 Guests (See full list)

×