Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Rob Dean
With my British infantry unit done, I finally sat down this morning to get started on French Revolution project expansion unit #2 (of 7+). This time it's British cavalry, and with the rules we'll be using (A Gentleman's War), the default cavalry unit is six figures.
My recent casting sessions have produced the parts, so it's now a case of assembling them into some semblance of what I'm looking for:
I see that I will be going back to file off even more of the original lapels and lace from the basic casting, and I'm going to try to add the rest of the helmet crest with some green stuff before painting.
I built up the first figure as a test this morning.
By Rob Dean
I went up to Portland, Maine a couple of weeks ago for a historical miniatures gaming convention, and found, when the dust settled, that I was pledging to expand an existing French Revolutionary Wars project from a skirmish game into a battle game for next year. Details are in my blog.
I am using home cast figures from multiple part German molds. After a solid casting session last week, I have a good stock of parts, so I settled in on Friday to see what I could do to build a unit of these 1792/3 British:
I started off on Friday morning with parts, super glue, files, and an X-acto knife, and things were moving right along.
Despite having other things to do, by Friday night my 12-man unit was assembled.
I sprayed everything with black primer yesterday morning, and started in around lunch time. By 3:00 or so, I had the main colors roughed in on all of them.
At that point, I wanted to see what they were going to look like when finished, so I took one figure from the group and lined the color separations, detailed the face, and did the various buttons and lace.
My past experience with these figures is that the easiest way for me to get them done is to paint them in assembly line fashion until I reach a point where I have to turn a single figure around to deal with the lining and face, etc., after which it's faster to take them to completion one at a time. Since the last time I did a group of these, I've taken to using a wet palette, which looks like it will make that process easier, since the five or six colors of paint needed for the completion will all stay usable between figures.
For a unit like this, small irregularities are not going to show on the table, but I wish that I had picked a different figures to finish for the initial pictures. i was well into this before I noted that the glue used to attach his head had left some roughness on the face, so he looks like a smallpox survivor. En masse, though, it shouldn't draw the eye.
Now, on with the other 11...
This is Scale 75's Ares Operator 03. It's a 40mm resin future soldier and apparently part of a gaming system. The package had some cards in it, but since I don't play the game, they're a bit lost on me... Anyhoo...
The figure is four parts - head, upper torso/arms, lower torso/legs, and the rifle with molded on hands. Cleanup was taking care of the usual casting seams and the removal of bits and pieces of mold trash. I used the gray Stynelrez primer (brushed on out of the bottle) and Reaper MSP paints. I used a Dremel tool and ball/dovetail cutters to mark up/damage the armor and went with a splotchy green camo. While they have their place, I tend not to use bright colors on military figures because all they say to me is 'Here I am! Shoot me!'.
The figure is mounted on a sanded/stained wood craft block with Aves Apoxie Sculpt groundwork, kitty litter rocks and somebody's weeds. I added a dripping rusty pipe coming out of the ground and a large putty teddy bear.
Qs and Cs welcomed.
By Rob Dean
As I posted the other day, I have been inspired to put in some work on my 40mm Renaissance project, for the first time in six years or so.
After doing the visual inventory, I concluded that what I most immediately needed was more pikemen. So, digging through my bags of raw castings, I pulled out a dozen pikemen base figures and a few other near term wishes.
I haven't done the metal work on these figures in a while, so I warmed up with a second need, putting together three figures to form a command stand for lighter infantry, and then went on to do four of the easier pike conversions. The basic body is a halberdier, but it's very difficult to get the halter to cast properly, and, since I don't need it anyway, I realized a few years ago that I could insert a heavy wire into the mold in the hollow intended to become the halberd shaft, and pull it out (usually ) once the casting was cool.
That basically gives you two ring hands into which to insert a brass wire pike. I have a small stash of 1/16" brass "curling wire" in 12" lengths, so it made sense to use 4" pikes and get three from a wire.
I had a brief opportunity to work on two of the pikemen at lunch one day this week, and more or less finished one:
I used a deliberately toy-like style when I painted the bulk of the figures twenty years ago, and I am not sure that I can match it. Nevertheless, I am going with a similar look this time, with some deliberately heavy black-lining. As one can see from the inventory picture, in actual play the figures end up giving an impressionistic effect, so there's not a lot of point in worrying too much about any single figure.
Who's Online 38 Members, 3 Anonymous, 96 Guests (See full list)
- Darsc Zacal
- Doug Sundseth
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Bane Of Humanity