Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello all! I’ve been giving a set of orcs all too much of my free time recently while trying out NMM for the first time. I’d appreciate any constructive feedback! Especially with respect to how to finish off the chainmail.
Also, given how top-heavy these guys are, they are prone to falling over with such a narrow base. any suggestions on how to base a medium monster for D&D whose footprint exceeds the 1” square? I’m guessing I just use a large base and blame the orc for engaging more foes with his obnoxious wide stance.
Here are all of the orcs after base coating their skin with a mix of naga green and leather brown.
After shading the skin with candlelight yellow, brown liner, and more naga green. Also worked on the bracers and boots.
Painted and shaded the red skirt with dragon red and brilliant red. Base coated chainmail with black, metal plates with 50/50 black/white and a smidgen on vallejo red black.
Filling in shadows on the metal for fist NMM pass.
Filling in highlights.
Now the medium blending...
... and then jumping ahead after working on the transitions, adding some edge highlights, and putting some scratches in.
So, how did this go?
Started him a while ago but got pushed to the back burner until last month where I put the few final touches on him. I will also attest that it is a mere coincidence that the colors I used made him look kind of like Link from Breath of the wilds.
I wanted to do a couple things with these guys. First, I wanted to see what I could accomplish in under 3 hours of work on a single mini. This included the prep, prime, and painting of each (though I didn't prime Sajan). And second, just play around with more Bones figures because, except for the bigger models, I admit to not being the biggest fan mostly due to the fuzzy details and cleaning the mold lines can be a pain on them. But I want to get to know them better because they're not going anywhere! And I have a lot of them now too.
Here's what I got out of it -
One, since I had a time constraint, I didn't obsess over getting every mold line smoothed out and I didn't do any green stuff patching and I just had to get over it, haha.
Two, the sculpt really matters. Sir Conlan was easier compared to the other two.
Three, I had to constantly remind myself not to hyper focus on little details as is my habit. An example would be faces. I spent about a half hour just on Alistrilee's face. (And these pictures don't do her justice, it looks way better in person, I think.)But that's part of the reason I wanted to try this - to see where I spend too much time and improve technique and habit along the way.
And four, I know things could go faster if I gave in to more drybrushing, but certain things never look quite complete to me when I do that.
Going to go back to hyper focusing on some of my other projects for now. But I'll definitely do this more often. Maybe a couple every other week or something like that.
ReaperCon Lickety Split painting by Tish Wolter, use the model to quickly get a table ready paint job.
P.S. Click thru for light box pics
So as I mentioned in my Mr. Bones show off, I painted up Garrick AKA ForScale to be a test run for Matte Varnishing (which didn't happen through airbrush, next time I guess), he did get a brush on varnish which went very well, so without further Ado, here is my take on Sir Forscale (overall he came out well, but his yellow shield IMHO sucks, maybe I just don't do well with yellow) C&C always welcome.
Who's Online 22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)