Coming to America II - heeeeyyelp

I live in Warrenton, VA and this area is full of history, wineries, breweries, and things to do. We are 2 hours from Richmond, Gettysburg, and Baltimore, just over an hour to Antietam and about 3 to Williamsburg. I also work on the northern Virginia traffic signal system so can tell you how to avoid the worst of the traffic.  :;):  My mom worked for a senator, then the State Department so I pretty much grew up in Washington and the suburbs. 

I don't think you would want to spend your entire time in Richmond because there is not that much there and anyplace except Williamsburg that you would want to go would require you to drive on I-95. The stretch between Richmond and Washington is horrible for traffic and the high probability that you will have an unpleasant encounter with a fellow driver. If you stay outside of Washington, you are in a central location and there are alternate routes that you can use to avoid most traffic.

If you are in my area, I usually have a spare guestroom available.

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would definitely not suggest spending most of your days on any playgrounds in West Philadelphia. I hear there are a couple of guys who are up to no good making trouble in that neighborhood.   On t

If I can find enough pennies down the back of the sofa I'm hoping to visit the colonies this May for a bit of a holiday, while Mrs Beagle goes off to see her parents in some other God-forsaken part of

Why not Denton, Texas? I've heard there's a very friendly miniatures company based in that fine city.

If you most wanted to go to Richmond, then don't let us dissuade you. It just seems that it doesn't fit in well with all the other stuff you said you wanted to do. I'm sure the Richmond tourist bureau could provide you with a weeks worth of interesting things to do.

Was there something particular drawing you to Richmond

Partly that I don't know anyone who's been there, partly that I have an interest in the Confederacy and partly because I have some romantic notions about Virginia...almost certainly nonsense

If you come to New England, you can take a road trip north to St. Albans, VT, site of the Northernmost engagement of the American Civil War. ::D:

Think of the trivia bets you'll win!

Seriously though, up here, we're much more "War of Independence" than ACW. It all depends what interests you. If I'm available, I would delightedly provide you with a lift to the Lexington Battle Green. It's just couple of miles from my office.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

I would definitely not suggest spending most of your days on any playgrounds in West Philadelphia. I hear there are a couple of guys who are up to no good making trouble in that neighborhood.

On the brightside, if you do get in a little fight, there's a possibility that someone may put you in a cab, and when it gets near, you'll probably notice the license plate says fresh and that it has dice in the mirror, although if anything, I would say that such a cab is rare, but, don't forget, it just might bring you home to Bel-Air.

• Like 10

Just wanted to say it totally boggles my mind to think about basing oneself in a city in one state and doing day trips in multiple other cities in other states.

In eight to ten hours, you can drive through every state in New England. (It only takes an hour to cross Rhode Island in any direction. On several occasions, I've actually performed Rocky Horror in two separate states on the same night.)

I live inbetween Boston and NYC and have driven to both cities in the same day before.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Just wanted to say it totally boggles my mind to think about basing oneself in a city in one state and doing day trips in multiple other cities in other states.

In eight to ten hours, you can drive through every state in New England. (It only takes an hour to cross Rhode Island in any direction. On several occasions, I've actually performed Rocky Horror in two separate states on the same night.)

I live inbetween Boston and NYC and have driven to both cities in the same day before.

I would like to point out that you also call yourself Mad.  

• Like 4

I would definitely not suggest spending most of your days on any playgrounds in West Philadelphia. I hear there are a couple of guys who are up to no good making trouble in that neighborhood.

On the brightside, if you do get in a little fight, there's a possibility that someone may put you in a cab, and when it gets near, you'll probably notice the license plate says fresh and that it has dice in the mirror, although if anything, I would say that such a cab is rare, but, don't forget, it just might bring you home to Bel-Air.

Bravo, madam. Bravo.

• Like 6

It's true.

I have, more than once, had to patiently explain to a customer service representative that there are six different states that are reachable within a two hour drive of my home, and that seeing credit charges in two of them within a 24 hour period is not all that unusual. (Seven states, if you count the one I start in)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4

I live in Warrenton, VA and this area is full of history, wineries, breweries, and things to do. We are 2 hours from Richmond, Gettysburg, and Baltimore, just over an hour to Antietam and about 3 to Williamsburg. I also work on the northern Virginia traffic signal system so can tell you how to avoid the worst of the traffic.  :;):  My mom worked for a senator, then the State Department so I pretty much grew up in Washington and the suburbs. 

I don't think you would want to spend your entire time in Richmond because there is not that much there and anyplace except Williamsburg that you would want to go would require you to drive on I-95. The stretch between Richmond and Washington is horrible for traffic and the high probability that you will have an unpleasant encounter with a fellow driver. If you stay outside of Washington, you are in a central location and there are alternate routes that you can use to avoid most traffic.

I concur. If you get on I-95 in Virginia, you will spend your entire vacation trying to get off of I-95 in Virginia...at the next exit.

• Like 4

On the brightside, if you do get in a little fight, there's a possibility that someone may put you in a cab, and when it gets near, you'll probably notice the license plate says fresh and that it has dice in the mirror, although if anything, I would say that such a cab is rare, but, don't forget, it just might bring you home to Bel-Air.

I'd make a poor Will Smith. 

• Like 2

Thanks Kate, food for thought. Seems like I definately need to stay away from the perilous I-95. Sounds very Mad Max....in slow motion

• Like 2

I would suggest Colorado, but we don't have much history stuff from the colonial and civil war periods. But we do have wide open highways, big city, and mountains. Real mountains, with sharp peaks, not those wimpy Appalachians with their short, stubby rounded tops. Bring oxygen though.

I have, more than once, had to patiently explain to a customer service representative that there are six different states that are reachable within a two hour drive of my home, and that seeing credit charges in two of them within a 24 hour period is not all that unusual. (Seven states, if you count the one I start in)

Some of you east coast folk don't like to drive that far or cross state lines, though. Out here in the Denver area, driving two hours north to Cheyenne to buy fireworks is considered normal. So it boggled my mind one time when I was talking to a customer in Hartford CT, and he insisted on waiting/paying for a rush delivery of a part from Calgary AB, because it was too far to drive up to Springfield, MA and pick up the part I had located for him at a vendor warehouse there. I remember him continually saying "But that's across the state line." That was before I actually visited the area - I was even more boggled that he refused to make the drive when I visited there for the first time and made the drive myself.

For credit cards being used in multiple states on the same day - I do tech support for car wash credit card systems, and sometimes during testing or setup, I need to run a test transaction on the customer's terminal. I can do this remotely, and I use my own card so I can see the charge on my account before I reverse it.

One day I had to do the same test for customers in three different states - UT, FL and somewhere in New England. After the third one, I got an urgent call from the bank that my card had been compromised, and they shut it off for my own protection. I now actually have a note on my account there that informs them that charges come from car washes are legitimate. So if anyone ever steals my credit card numbers, as long they only use it for car washes, they can get away with it.

• Like 3

One day I had to do the same test for customers in three different states - UT, FL and somewhere in New England. After the third one, I got an urgent call from the bank that my card had been compromised, and they shut it off for my own protection. I now actually have a note on my account there that informs them that charges come from car washes are legitimate. So if anyone ever steals my credit card numbers, as long they only use it for car washes, they can get away with it.

MWAHAHAHAA!! Free car washes!!

• Like 2

Some of you east coast folk don't like to drive that far or cross state lines, though. Out here in the Denver area, driving two hours north to Cheyenne to buy fireworks is considered normal. So it boggled my mind one time when I was talking to a customer in Hartford CT, and he insisted on waiting/paying for a rush delivery of a part from Calgary AB, because it was too far to drive up to Springfield, MA and pick up the part I had located for him at a vendor warehouse there. I remember him continually saying "But that's across the state line." That was before I actually visited the area - I was even more boggled that he refused to make the drive when I visited there for the first time and made the drive myself.

WTF!? Hartford is closer to Springfield than any other city in Massachusetts.

I hear that Rhode Islanders won't drive more than 45 minutes without declaring it a daytrip and packing a lunch.

• Like 4