Pytt

Having fun with texture!

I happen to be an engineer, which is a more fancy word for "super-lazy". As such, I started thinking of shortcuts as soon as I started sculpting, and I've been gathering different stuff that could make for some interesting texture for bases, conversions and such things. I have now used these stuff as "stamps" on some fimo, and then painted it black and dry-brushed white on top, so I have these little references that show the texture more clearly. So, here they are! 

post-14691-0-56585900-1455538892_thumb.jpg

An interesting button. Might work as a screen behind a druid, or a floor tile of sorts. I didn't remove the button hole marks, but that could be fixed quite easily.

post-14691-0-11066500-1455538904_thumb.jpg

Rough, but thin, rope. Two marks, side by side, might look like tire tracks. A bunch of these marks together look more natural, sort of like wheat.

post-14691-0-72069300-1455538916_thumb.jpg

A big bead. Makes for an interesting effect, sort of reminds me of a bee hive.

post-14691-0-72517000-1455538928_thumb.jpg

Another button. This texture was very subtle, but when dry-brushing it I was amazed at the effect. It could be something made out of glass, like a window.

post-14691-0-57467100-1455538940_thumb.jpg

"Natural" cork. Looks like rough wood to me, but might be the side of a cliff or stone as well.

post-14691-0-95011200-1455538952_thumb.jpg

Fine-grained cork. Could be sand, dirt, or some other natural base.

post-14691-0-81550000-1455538964_thumb.jpg

Rough cork. As above, I think this would suit as some sort of stone-base, just a bit rougher.

post-14691-0-95058400-1455538976_thumb.jpg

The wrong end of my hobby knife. Very industrialized and pretty cool I think. This would probably fit well in a sci-fi environment, maybe as a steel floor.

post-14691-0-38608200-1455538988_thumb.jpg

The side of a matchbox. Almost the same effect as the bead, but more subtle and a bit more structured.

Maybe these pictures can inspire you, or you could give me some advice on what you think the texture might look like. Feel free to add your own pictures in this thread as well, I think it is pretty interesting since some things will look quite different when there inverted.

• Like 20

Well done.  Thank you for sharing this.

I often use sandpaper and a diamond file to make dirt and rough skin impressions when sculpting.

• Like 4

This is awesome! I've done imprints with random things I've found outside since I love natural things. I never thought to look inside, though! 

A couple of them I did twice - I made an imprint of some really rough concrete outside with some sculpey, baked it, and then pressed the final clay against the copy, so it was "right way out."

Off topic, but your photographs of this stuff are really good! 

• Like 1