Widower's Wood: Board Game (Privateer Press)

pcktlnt

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4eb304784470c7ece05b93a54880f279_origina

d8da10abf19a12f1fd1e296cb4d3ba28_origina

About this project
dc9ed1ea2ebf109a88d1474cf10a88ab_origina

In the dark wilderness of the Iron Kingdoms, an ancient evil stirs. Led by a merciless witch doctor, an army of sinister creatures and terrifying beasts plot to awaken a long-forgotten terror. Should they succeed, the lives and homes of countless swamp-dwelling tribes will face a fate worse than death. As the inhabitants of Widower’s Wood find themselves trapped in the grim maw of ghoulish horrors, their last hope is a team of ravenous monsters with the cunning and ferocity to bite back.

Where heroes fear to tread, only monsters can save the day!

Join this daunting band and venture into Widower’s Wood in this fully cooperative adventure board game for 2–4 players. The harrowing wilds of the swamp are filled with dire perils and dreadful villains, and it will require teamwork and the unique strengths of your adventurers to prevail. If you’re smart enough, tough enough, and courageous enough to face the greatest horrors of the Iron Kingdoms, you might just be monster enough to survive.

Widower’s Wood is the latest in the expandable Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game series, designed by William “Oz†Schoonover and produced by Privateer Press. Inside Widower’s Wood, you will find dozens of miniatures created by the award-winning sculptors of Privateer Press, creators of WARMACHINE and HORDES,  and a character-driven narrative campaign that unfolds over the course of seven detailed scenarios, each of which can be replayed again and again for a different experience every time. The story takes place on a richly designed board with tiles that change from scenario-to-scenario, all accompanied by hundreds of tokens and cards for tracking the progress of your heroes. Powerful game mechanics ensure that the enemies always present new and exciting challenges for the players for a tremendously re-playable game experience. 

Together, the players comprise a band of daring monstrosities working together to defeat their enemies, achieve tactical objectives, and become more powerful over the course of the expansive, persistent campaign.

Each character has a unique sheet of statistics but as the campaign progresses you will spend experience points on feats and ability cards allowing you to customize and enhance your adventurer.

Choose your monster…

009e7e8522a51d63baaaf873e2c2166d_originaFor illustrative purposes only. Final product may vary.

And face the villains…

06c2eeae5c7971e01fe014912df55eae_origina

For illustrative purposes only. Final product may vary.

Miniatures:

b154cae7b994f07b8d31c34add1cc125_origina

d4cdfbc7131572ec02f68c32d3153ba9_origina

Link to painting guide: http://files.privateerpress.com/boardgames/widowerswood/WWPaintGuide.pdf

• Like 1

Note that the minis are specifically not allowed to be used in any official Warmachine/Hordes tournaments/games

(your local gaming group may well not mind, but worth keeping in mind if you had considered them the main draw and the game second)

Except that with some of them, no one will know the difference.

Take the Bog Trog Mist Speaker, for example. Unless someone picks your model up, they'll never know it's not the metal version. Just like the two Razor Boars and four Farrow Brigands that came with Iron Kingdoms Unleashed that I'm painting up for my Thornfall Alliance.

• Like 3

What's the reasoning for not allowing these versions for tourney play?

Most of them do not have Warmachine/Hordes analogues, and Warmachine/Hordes are not WYSIWYG games. You have to have the specific miniature to play that character/unit/thing. Conversions/weapon swaps/etc. are allowed, as long as the model is x% of the original model, or something like that.

Why the ones that do have Warmachine/Hordes analogues are not allowed is beyond me.

• Like 2

Most of them do not have Warmachine/Hordes analogues, and Warmachine/Hordes are not WYSIWYG games. You have to have the specific miniature to play that character/unit/thing. Conversions/weapon swaps/etc. are allowed, as long as the model is x% of the original model, or something like that.

Why the ones that do have Warmachine/Hordes analogues are not allowed is beyond me.

I would expect this to be because it is so much simpler just to draw the line than to go into specifics of any given miniature what with blacklists of circumscribed minis and all that. 

And, og course,  to sell the minis twice to the same customers.

• Like 1

I saw they posted an Official reason

"The material is a less rigid plastic and while it is perfectly suitable for the needs of a casual board game is not meant to be a substitute for our high quality wargaming figures."

I call BS on that explanation.

Why on earth should the "quality" in any way affect anybody taking them to a tournament? It is not as if the plastic ones will crumble when in use, nor will the opponent have a lesser experience because you are proxying smurfs instead of official figures to the tourney (which just might have been a valid reason). Any lesser quality than metal details on the minis will not be noticable on the table top.

• Like 7

Have been lurking the kickstarter section for a while, but today I register to post here.

I recently back this project and I wonder why it wasn't here until I realize it was some pages back. So I decided to update the information myself, hope it helps someone.

First of, there is a video of the gameplay in the main page of the kickstarter

and they do an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit yesterday with the game designer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/privateerpress/widowers-wood-an-iron-kingdoms-adventure-board-gam/posts/1513422

There they addressed the question you were talking about (using their miniatures for Warmachine/Hordes):

...it's a branding and product issue, not so much gameplay. I think they're going to be great for use in casual games of WARMACHINE and HORDES, we just don't want to muddy the waters in our official and often high profile sponsored events.

It seems they have changed a lot the stretch goals since the begining, improving and merging some and adding new ones.

This is what you get now with the basic pledge:

And this is what you add with the Deluxe edition:

Edited by Petrik
  • Like 1