Warhammer?

Nevariant

So some friends have randomly decided they want to start playing Warhammer (not 40k). Since we all enjoy painting minis and all sorts of dorky games I feel inclined to check it out with them. I'm pretty easily entertained and enjoy most any game so far it seems. Am I likely to enjoy Warhammer? If so, does the game have any addictive facet, or can most people 'take it or leave it'?

I figure if nothing else I'll own a buttload of lizardmen minis. Just in case I .. ever need a buttload of tiny lizard dudes.. I guess :poke:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about trying Warhammer because I really like the setting but I have come to realize that I do not have the patience to paint an entire army. At least not in a timely fashion. I am more inclined to try a skirmish battles instead of a full fledged army.

Decado

I really recommend it. I love having an excuse to buy an entire army of Reaper Minis!

It's rather fun, I have two armies myself. I recommend starting with Wood Elves if you do. Let me know, and I can help you make a list once you learn your rulebook well!

If you like 40k, you should like WHFB. It is considerably more complex than 40k, however compared to many games (eg Warlord) it is still quite simple. (Since 40k 3rd Edition should really be called 14 or under 40k). Think around 2nd edition 40k complexity, in the WHFB setting.

WH is a great game, in my opinion, but it's not for everyone. For one thing, it's a dang addicting as well as expensive hobby. What I suggest is try out a few Warhammer in a Flash games, to see what armies you might like. WHIAF is a new thing in the WH crowd, so I don't think it has really caught on yet, where each player builds up a 500 point army as opposed to the more expensive 1500 to 3000 armies which is more common. Because of the convenience, I wish these rules become the norm. You can also try a few WH Skirmish games to test out the rules. Either way you go, have fun.

The other alternative is like you get in the box, Two regiments, something like a cannon/chariot/bolt thrower and a low level hero. Once you get used to the rules you will be able to know how you will like (and play with) the army from the books. The Empire is a fairly well balanced force to start with (Knights, fairly good foot soldiers, some excellent elite units and some of the best gunpowder weaponry in the game).

Oh, and don't forget the Empire tanks... :wub:

I have yet to give in to the Dark Side (came close once) but know a lot of people that do play.

The biggest complaint I hear about WH is that there are always rule changes coming out every month in White Dwarf magazine that you have to keep track of, as well as constantly changing army lists and minis (it's quite common for an army to be redone completely, with new models that will make all earlier versions obselete).

There are also complaints that some power gamers create an unstoppable army with heros that can roll over your whole army by itself so that you don't even have to bother unpacking your figures, just look at the army list and concede.

Then again, as I said, I don't play so I don't know how common all that is. Also, it's a VERY popular system and you'd be able to find opponents just about anywhere.

Oh, one more thing. The figures often come in pieces, and I don't mean ya have to glue an arm on, I mean the upper and lower torso, both arms, the head, sometimes horns or other head gear, shields, etc. This gets old real fast, but ya gotta do it.

Oh yeah, they are rather expensive too. They charge based on how powerful a character or unit is. If you are only going to need one of a particular model, it's not at all uncommon to shell out $40 US for said model.

I have several WHFB armies (Empire, High Elves, Khemri, Lizardmen) and mostly enjoy the game, the single most important issue when playing with friends is to establish a few ground rules. In the current version most Heros allowed in a 1500 point army are not that awesome, unless supported they will lose combat on their own, but spell casters can be very potent and so we tend to place a limit of the max noumber of magic levels allowed in a game.

New rules do come out in the odd White Dwarf however they tend to be for brand new units and not changing established rules. These tend to be available from the GW website and are printed in the yearly WHFB Annual. GW work on an 8 year life span for a core game, the current version of WHFB is about 3 years into its life span so there shouldn't be any army list re-writes for a while yet.

While the initial rules are simple, they do get more complicated as you get deeper into them. The game takes a long time to master.

Remember unless you plan to play in official tournaments then all your Reaper figures are legal to use so the cost opf GW characters etc doesn't really matter.

If you want a non skirmish fantasy game I can't think of another one that is better than WHFB. One much cheaper but more limited option is Hordes of Things a DBA/DBM variant.

Stuart

This is one of those games that depends heavily on your play group. If they are the type of gamers that are fun and fair minded and don't care about the latest uber-unit, than yes it can be enjoyable. The players are what makes or breaks the system.

Oh and I would second SOldcorn's suggestion to look into Hordes of the Things if there is a group in your area. It's very versitle and relatively inexpensive.

Having played a few times, I found the mechanics to be lacking. The dice curves are much too narrow and and focus less on the rewarding of tactical choices than on the rewarding of how many dice one can roll. This makes it possible, nay likely, for luck to outweigh sound tactical decision making.

I consider Warhammer, in its various incarnations, to be a really expensive beer and pretzels game that fails to properly simulate combat.

Okay, I first got into miniature painting like 14 years ago because I played 40K and loved it. However, rules and prices have changed a lot. The game is still fun, but it will suck money like no tomorrow. So, here are my warnings:

To play an army, I would recommend you have enough models to field a 2000 point army. You'll eventually learn what that means. I would say a small battle is 500 points, large is 2000. That way you aren't excluded from big games and you have enough models to switch army composition around to try something new or if you get bored. Now, I would say that a 2000 point army will run you at least $200. If you like fielding big vehicles, demons, and dreadnaught (mechs), then that price goes up. If you build only based on plastic boxed sets, you might be able to do it for less, but you won't have as much versatility nor will you have the 'fun stuff'.

Rules will cost you a lot as well. First you have the boxed set rules, then you have all the army books. One army book is not always enough, because you can uses allies and other agents that have their own source material. As soon as you get all the army books you need, they will be reprinted as all the rules are changed to a new edition and you will buy them all over again.

As much as painting can be fun, armies like this are made up of a lot of duplicate troops. You might get real sick of paint 70 troops that are all near identical, I know I did.

Also, as soon as you finish constucting an Army, they put out a new edition of the rules that will mess with your army and/or they will resculpt all the troops in your army so they look ten times cooler and you start hating the way your army looks and are forced to spend another $300 to get all the new stuff. At this point, the cost per troop will go up again, so building the army will be more expensive.

The game is fun and I enjoyed the years I spent playing it. I don't discourage it, but I do warn you. It's not something to just 'try'. The time and monetary investment is such that you want to be sure you are going to play it and stick to it to get your money's worth. Find a local gaming store that has tournaments and go up there. Talk to the players. See if someone will tell you the basics during a game so you can see how it works. Ask them about the time and cost of their Army construction. This will let you know what you are getting into.

If you don't want the giant hassle of building an army, consider skirmish games like Confrontation or the D&D minis game. I've heard the D&D game is fun and simple, like D&D light. You can easily replace the models with Reaper if you like or convert it for D20 modern or Star Wars. I've also heard that the new War Machine game is fun. I'm also curious about Dark Ages.