Warhammer?

Nevariant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner and all his mates have been playing for years and they all love it. I am currently in the middle of painting my first two armies (Lahmian Vampires and Dark Elves) for it and played my first game last week. I can honestly say that I thouroughly enjoyed it.

Yes armies can be expensive but I have never had a problem with GW models. On the rare occasion that I have come across a model that was badly damaged or had terrible mold lines I simply took it back to the store and they replaced it with no problems. I guess your looking at any where from $300 to $1000 NZ dollars for an entire army depending on what you want in it.

Yes, painting that many similar looking models can get boreing, that's why you convert, converting also helps to make your army wonderfully unique!!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Julie

Thank you all very much for the insights and advice! All of this information is priceless to someone out of the loop such as myself and I definitely appreciate it. ::D:

I have decided to begin puttering at painting some minis from the lizardmen line. I like the minis anyways and so a few of them, like the Slann mage-priest, would have been bought regardless.

Who knows in a couple months I may be posting looking for places to play in the SF bay area :rolleyes:

Ill give my two cents...

I actually started mini games with WHFB. I have since dropped it in favour of Confrontation and Reaper. I also Play Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim.

Lets be honest up front. a WH army can cost you between $500-$2000 for minis alone depending on which army you start, and thats for about 2000 points. Keep in mind that nowadays alot of your GW stuff will be completely plastic. 16 High Elf Spearmen cost $38 canadian. For that I can buy a whole Confrontation warband or a good chunk of a reaper warlord army. 16 spearmen isnt even a full unit really. cost is a major factor considering starting WH. You also have to like painting tons of almost exactly the same figures. You will have ranks and ranks of the same troops. Some armies can have between 80-300 models for a 2000 point game. Imagine paint 50 night goblins, it gets pretty boring and tedious. Seriously it seems easy to make an army but its tons of work and I find that ending up with 50 of the same guy just isnt worth it. Also keep in mind that some portions of your amy will become obsolete and there are alot of rule changes. The trend also seems to be going very plastic heavy. The game itself I use to think was brilliant. Then I tried Warlord and Confrontation and found out how cumbersome the rules were and how much simpler and how much more depth other games had. On a final note keep in mind the flavour will be very different from what you are used to. Reaper and Rackham tend to attract more adult gamers and advanced hobbyists, where in WH alot of people involved in the hobby are under 12, and their entire approach reflects this. I find reaper makes a much more adult game.

I find that the "warhammer addiction" is caused by players wanting to experience what is in actual fact a rich world. However this often means a large $1500 chunk for a taste of a fantasy archetype. Warhammer Skirmish and Mordheim on the other hand allow you to have really interesting battles and experiment with armies whiel only spending about 50 bucks and painting 10-20 models. Its cheaper and you don't have to spend all afternoon to play one game. However if full army fantasy battles is your thing I would definately check out Ragnarok by rackham minis. Again, there is a much less cost investment when playing Ragnarock, and the models are a million times superior to GW stuff.

On a more personal note I personally find the figures of GW are a little juvinille. Some of their stuff is out of this world, like the Dark Elf range, but alot of it is geared more towards kids. Just my opinion.

In short I find reaper is the best, most honest and superior company. Rackham makes amazing Miniatures as well, and the Minis can be used for either skirmish or full battles, with very little extra cost.

Good Luck with your decision.

Christopher

I think ultimately its up to personal choice.

One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned here, but is one of the most important aspects of mini gaming, is the "spectacle" of the game. Lets face it: we don't need minis to play minis games. We could just use cardboard chits or the like to represent troops or figures. There is no compelling reason you should invest hundreds of $$$ into a game when that money can be better used elsewhere...except having ranks of troops scattered across the table looks freakin' AWESOME.

For me, skirmish games like Mordheim, and what Warlord promises to be, just doesn't cut it. I enjoy the spectacle of a hundred or more well painted figures, ranked in units so their spears look like a hedgehog. I just think it looks so much better than a handful of figures.

I play Warhammer Ancient Battles, and have several armies for it in 25mm (most are "unofficial" and are based on homegrown or prototype lists). I could easily have just played DBA (12 elements, at the most 48 figures ever) in 15mm...but it just doesn't look nearly as good as a well painted 25mm army!

So ultimately, before you invest, ask yourself: do you find the idea of pushing around regiments of 25+ figures appealing, or are you just not impressed by this? I know for me what the answer is...

Damon.

PS: Forgot to add...the Warhammer figures are expensive, but for the rank n' file no more expensive than other fantasy minis. However, there are alternatives. Check out Black Tree Designs (http://www.black-tree-design.com). Much of their fantasy ranges (look under Fantasy Armies and Harlequin fantasy) are designed with Warhammer in mind, and are often half the price. Granted the level of sculpting is not as good as GW, but the design is very similar (almost dead ringers...think of these guys as being "generic" to GW's brand name label). The Orcs, Goblins, Dwarves, and Ratmen are the best; Men of Averaign are pretty good (sculpted to 2nd Gen Bretonnians...I use several in my English HYW army), the Elves middling. If you want to do Bretonnians or Empire, there are always Historicals (Front Rank are my favorite for the former, and there are several manufacturers of Lansknechts for the latter). Of course you can't play in tournaments, but then if you're paying for Hisoricals rather than fantasy minis (normally half the price in most cases) you'll save a lot of money. I'm using Harlequin/BTD figures for the rank-n-file troops in a Dwarf army I'm working on.

I consider Warhammer, in its various incarnations, to be a really expensive beer and pretzels game that fails to properly simulate combat.

Well I disagree somewhat with this. Warhammer is (in terms of the Wargaming industry as a whole), very retro. The game mechanics reflect styles and philosophies current around the 70's or so, into the early 80s perhaps. In the Historical wargaming field (FREX) other rulesets have come along that are in some ways more intuitive, less clunky, more streamlined. Fantasy hasn't been on the "leading edge" of game design (IMHO) and tends to hold onto older techniques (perhaps they are less interested in historically plausable results?).

With all that said, WAB is fun, and has caused a virtual rennaisance in 25mm Ancients wargaming. Before WAB 25mm was a pretty sparse field, with the only figures around being either older ranges or a handful of new ranges (Old Glory being the most conspicuous). Since WAB there are a number of new manufacturers doing very interesting things in this scale, and producing absolutely gorgious historical models. This may be only coincidental, but IMHO I think its tied with WAB.

And WAB DOES produce historically plausable results, IME. Its all about what you put in the game. And the supplements are (for the most part) fantastic!

Damon.

As far as painting lots and lots of the same figures:

If you are going to wargame, you are going to paint lots of figures (unless you use paper cut outs (which are available) or plastic army men or the like) that look alike. That's the point of an army.

If you play skirmish games there will be less to paint, but depending on what era/genre, they may still look alike (modern Marines all wear the same uniforms, you can't paint one in desert camo and another pink and green).

If ya don't want to paint the same thing over and over, don't wargame.

There is also the construction issue: all those WH minis come in pieces. Ya not only have to paint the durn things, ya gotta put em together first!

All this talk of WH has gotten me to take out the one Beastmen regiment I have and start to paint them.

Maybe I will succumb to the evil empire yet... :devil:

PS Lars; I have the WAB rules set, but no one around here is interested in playing. I'm looking forward to the Armies of Chivalry and the Japanese suppliment comming soon.

Now I just need other who wanna play. :down:

PS Lars; I have the WAB rules set, but no one around here is interested in playing. I'm looking forward to the Armies of Chivalry and the Japanese suppliment comming soon.

Now I just need other who wanna play. :down:

I heard AoC has been delayed. Do you know about the WAB yahoo group? Very active, and usually pretty well behaved/fun. Theres also a WAB Medieval battles group too.

Where do you live? Maybe we can get a game in. I'm working (right now) on fleshing out my HYW French/English army.

Damon.

:)

I suppose it is totally up to personal style. I personally find nothing impressive about whole armies. Im a dungeon crawl/quest junkie, so small bands of heros conquering leigions of unknown baddies tends to get me going. Im working on a completely 3d dungeon terrain board, so full armies never really factor into it.

GW does have good full scale armies, but check out Ragnarok as welll, they seem to be doing great stuff.

Do what you heart tells you.

Chris