Warhammer?

Nevariant

I find if you're having trouble mass-painting, its good to divide each unit into bitesized chunks to paint at a time, and to vary things on your workbench so that you don't get burnout. FREX, on my painting table now I have:

1). 11 GW Ironbreaker dwarfs (actually the sculpts have grown on me. Nice armor design while maintaining the Anglo-saxon "Sutton Hoo" look that I find appealing in dwarfs).

2. 12 BTD "Men of Averaign" bowmen (to be used as longbowmen in my Hundred Years War English army, circa 1390-1415).

3. 8 Crusader Norman Armored Spearmen (excellent sculpts, though annoying shield assembly issues)

4. Various Reaper bits for D&D, and 8 15mm Essex halfling bowmen (very well cast!).

This may seem like a lot, but I usually paint a couple hours a night, and I can pick up one subject, work on it for a while, and go on to something else. I also have a DML StuG IV Late I'm working on intermittently, which gives me a completely different break from minis.

Damon.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been slowly (very slowly if you ask my best friend and future opponent) putting together a dwarf army for GW's LOTR game. I have found that the max I can paint of the same figure at the same time is 3. If I try to do more then three I quickly lose interest. I recently finished 3 of the khazad dwarves but am taking a break and painting Reaper's Skeleton Giant.

Decado

Where do you live? Maybe we can get a game in. I'm working (right now) on fleshing out my HYW French/English army.

Damon.

I live in Houston, Tx.

I'm on the WAB group but have it set to "no mail" right now. Not playing so why read all that mail for nothing, ya know? I'm not even sure what army or period I'd like to play.

I've thought about picking an army, getting the figures, painting them and announcing on the local game list, "This is what I have, who want's to play? Something, anything, it doesn't matter." and see what happens.

HC, what I reccommend you try doing is build 2 parallell armies, perhaps around 1000 to 1500pts. A good pair to use are the EIR and Celts, since Romans are perpetually popular, and it seems anything celtic is romanticized in pop culture so the appeal is there. Also they are two very different armies as well. Then, set up a demo night at the FLGS, especially on a night that Warhammer is played. Often you may find older WHFB gamers that might watch the History Channel for fun, or have a passive interest in history. Once they find out that there's a fully supported ruleset using the Warhammer engine but for historicals rather than fantasy, it might get their interest up.

Also bringing along a hand out with a general description and a list of companies that make historicals (especially high quality ones, since I think a big turn-off for fantasy players is when they discover that some historical 25mm lines are 30 years old and/or not up to high standards of sculpting) so they know whom to order product from.

Damon.

An Extremely popular Historicaly based game system here is Flames of War. 15mm models. My partner plays quite often and while he prefer to stick mostly to infantry most of the other players like to use the tanks.

Very nice models, great game system, cheaper to buy than a lot of fantasy games and the 15mm models make for a nice change from painting 25/28mm all the time.

*seeks past the GW addicts* WEll you could try "No Quarter"....

no seriously try no quarter out. Its basiclly a WH clone, which uses d10 instead of d6 and has 2 cool advantages over WH:

1) its free to download.

2) its got a Unit building options, to build just about any disired fantasy unit.

I converted my Warlord army to the system (still usable with WL though!) and really rocked!

I felt like adding my opinion!

I love a lot of the warhammer figures, I have quite a lot of them but I can't stand the game. It's dull and boring. It's pure simple unit based combat. It's not even a good unit-level game either like I thought Clan War was, it's way too simple, may as well just roll 1d6 for each unit in combat with each other instead of 50. Playing it is dull and watching it is worse.

What's worse is that I WOULD actually buy a small army and play if I didn't hate the game mechanics so much. =P

But I've always preferred skirmish based games like warmachine, chronopia, etc etc. I ended up writing my own fantasy skirmish system too just for fun.

To date, the only minis game I've played is Mordheim. My friends and I really enjoy it. The skirmish aspect of it keeps warband costs down(though I probably have enough minis to have started a WH army easily...), and I agree with some of you, that I would probably hate painting dozens of the exact same mini.

The other thing I like about Mordheim is it's continuity factor. Warbands can grow(or shrink) from game to game, warband members can gain experience and new stats and abilities, etc, so it's got a bit of RPG -ness added in. If I remember correctly, WH games are one-off.

I forgot who said it above, but playing with the right bunch helps tremendously!! My group has included our own house rules, new warbands, hired swords, etc. Also, the majority of our minis are Reaper, with a few GW, Confrontation, and 100 Kingdoms thrown in for fun. This , of course, would never fly at a tournament, but none of my group care about that. Having fun is the main thing! :B):

GW got me into the hobby, and very nearly got me right back out again, for all the usual reasons; although 40K (which is where i started) seems to suffer worse than WHF.

For skirmish, and if you have a lot of old D&D dice (y'know, 4 sided, ten sided, 8 sided etc) have a look at ARES.

The same co have a mass-battle system coming out called For the Masses.

Finally, if you want sci-fi skirmish, have a look at Starslayer.

I can't say enough good things about Starslayer, and a new ed. is coming out that promises to be better printed, better illustrated, and with a troop builder beyond compare: using some pre-release info I ran a game of WHF Undead Vs Sci Fi, which was great fun. It looks a bit more complex than GW stuff at first, but it plays with creamy smoothness that you really NEED to experience.

All this stuff comes with rules to incorporate whatever minis you already own, and all have a free "taster" that you can download, try a few games, and see how it goes. Finally, if you have questions or want more variants, scenarios and so on, you can contact all the designers on the yahoogroup mailing list.

Majestic Twelve Games

smokingwreckage,

I checked out Ares and I think Ill order the system, its very much like the beta warlord that allows custom unit creation. I love stuff like that. Anyways, Im really into fantasy skirmish gaming, are there any other companies that supply something like this free or otherwise ?

So far on my list I have...

Ares

Warlord Beta

No Quarter

Lets add to this.

Thanks,

Chris

Well, I think everyone has inputted on this topic enough for you to make your decision, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I wish I had come here when I was thinking about getting into Warhammer Fantasy. It is a great game, but GW really makes me not want to play it. The way they price things and make it nearly impossible to play without buying something is extremely annoying.

For example, their monthly subscription magazine recently went up from 4.95 to $6.00 per issue! It was right when I was about to subscribe for a year, but the price increase was not justified and so I didn't order it. However, now I am out of the loop on what goes on with Games Workshop and Warhammer in general. The models I bought were extremely expensive, although they do look very nice. The rule book to play the game is $30. Then you need to pick an army, and buy that army's book so that you know the stats of all of your troops: another $20. That puts you $50 in the hole before you even put a unit on the table.

One more thing that really bugs me is their stores. If you want to play at a Games Workshop store (where other players go to play with people) you either have to buy something or pay them $1 to play on their tables. Not only that, but you have to spend hours on your army just for them to be acceptable on the gaming tables. You have to glue grass to the bases of all of your models, and your army has to have something NEW every time you want to play! WHAT IS THAT?! These guys have their fans by the balls and don't mind giving it a good squeeze just to keep the money flowing.

These are the reasons that have brought me here tonight. I am looking for something new and less stressful. The game you get into shouldn't make you worry as much as Games Workshop makes its members worry. I am out of it for good and my army is going up on ebay as soon as I get home to gather it all (2 months from now).

That's why I'm done with GW. Hello, Reaper :wub: