Sign in to follow this  
Sanael

Chronic Malingerers? (military slang)

I recall some time ago a discussion amongst the military community here a naval term for "that guy," the one who is constantly getting everyone in trouble by not doing their individual work, the one always shirking duties, leaving a shift station in disarray, etc.

Now I don't recall the term. I feel like it was "bluejay," but that also seems utterly ridiculous.

In addition, does anyone else have similar terms?

• Like 2

"blue jay" or "blue falcon..." At least I was in the right part of the spectrum and the right branch of the animal kingdom...

"sickbay commando," I like that too. Although it also just sounds like a method for wearing hospital gowns.

• Like 8

We got some words in the Netherlands ( Air Force) however, maybe if someone understands it I get either mod batted or sent to Beekeepers.

In my Navy days, we called them Skates. There might have been less politically correct names, too, that's just the one I recall being used the most.

• Like 6

In my Navy days, we called them Skates. There might have been less politically correct names, too, that's just the one I recall being used the most.

That's an interesting one. Any etymology behind it? (actual or apocryphal?)

• Like 1

That's an interesting one. Any etymology behind it? (actual or apocryphal?)

Because they skated by and didn't do their share of work.

• Like 3