Sign in to follow this  
Sanael

Chronic Malingerers? (military slang)

We in the RNoAF used to call the navy guys for ducklings. Not going to be mean and mention what we called the army guys.

The ground grews working on the F-16s were known as 'hangar monkeys'.

• Like 2

I've heard navy guys refer to the USCG as the puddle pirates.  at one time member of the USMC were called jarheads until someone realized that things can be put in a jar.  I've also heard the USMC referred to a uncle sam's misguided children. 

• Like 4

Knarthex, Wargamer,

I don't recall any specific nicknames still in common usage for tankers.  Spent my time in a Cav Squadron, so there were a fair few older tankers around, but I never had direct exposure to a lot of tankers, being in a LI Div.  Not a lot of nicknames but plenty of running jokes about 19 series afraid to get their feet wet and hump some weight with their Mk1 Troop Transport Carriers (boots.  Also, lamborfeeties, chevrolegs, etc.)

• Like 5

...but didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

To be honest, that statement describes at least 50% of the people I served with in the USN. And at every job I've had since.
  • Like 6

To be honest, that statement describes at least 50% of the people I served with in the USN. And at every job I've had since.

My dad is fond of telling his students to get in the habit of assuming that nobody around you ever scored more than 70% on whatever test they had to take to "qualify" for whatever activity they're currently engaged in. This way, you'll never be surprised when they screw up, you'll be pleasantly surprised when things go smooth, and most importantly, you'll remember to always be as on your own game as possible, lest you end up dead from unexpected adjacence to sudden catastrophic negligence.

• Like 7

My dad is fond of telling his students to get in the habit of assuming that nobody around you ever scored more than 70% on whatever test they had to take to "qualify" for whatever activity they're currently engaged in. This way, you'll never be surprised when they screw up, you'll be pleasantly surprised when things go smooth, and most importantly, you'll remember to always be as on your own game as possible, lest you end up dead from unexpected adjacence to sudden catastrophic negligence.

Similar to the "your equipment was made by the lowest bidder" adage.  Encourages a lot more care and redundancy.

Wargamer, LPC is a great one too XD

• Like 3

What do they call the guy who finished with the lowest grades in med school?

"Doctor"

Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately attributed to incompetence.

• Like 5

What do they call the guy who finished with the lowest grades in med school?

"Doctor"

Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately attributed to incompetence.

My cousin (in med school) doesn't find that funny. :lol: Could just be that I've said it to him every time I see him...

• Like 6

<snip> and most importantly, you'll remember to always be as on your own game as possible, lest you end up dead from unexpected adjacence to sudden catastrophic negligence.

To go off on a tangent here, I found that most conspiracies in the military and companies are actually people conspiring to cover up this sort of thing, rather than outright malice (as Doug pointed out).

At my first duty station a civilian electrician who should have known better flash blinded himself and burned all the hair off his forearms, as well as shut down the entire transmitter facility by the improper use of a multimeter on a high voltage circuit. His union steward came to all of us military techs in the division and asked us to tell the investigator it was a faulty meter. That plan was shot to heck for him when half of us wouldn't agree to lie if an investigator questioned us. Fortunately for their little conspiracy among the union guys, the investigator never questioned any of us, most likely because none of us were in the area where the accident occurred when it occured - we were just among the first responders to provide aid.

• Like 5

Looks like an Abrams Leopard [see below] works as a snowplow. Kind of an expensive one... ...but hey.

[edited to correct tank]

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3