Sign in to follow this  
Sanael

Chronic Malingerers? (military slang)

Knarthex, Wargamer,

I don't recall any specific nicknames still in common usage for tankers.  Spent my time in a Cav Squadron, so there were a fair few older tankers around, but I never had direct exposure to a lot of tankers, being in a LI Div.  Not a lot of nicknames but plenty of running jokes about 19 series afraid to get their feet wet and hump some weight with their Mk1 Troop Transport Carriers (boots.  Also, lamborfeeties, chevrolegs, etc.)

I always thought about it like why walk when I can ride... at 60+ mph, with armor, a canon, and 3 machine guns....

LPC for leather personnel carrier

Yup, I remember that one too.

I Germany, the locals were 'Rads" short for Comrades, and would usually pick up hitch hiking GIs, became known as RPCs for Rad Personnel Carriers...

Want to see how the US Marines handles ice?

Bambi on ice... with Abrams...

Feel free to use the keywords 'Cold Response' for more footage.

A tank will slide on ice, as the video shows, but even going slowly, you can still slide. I slide down a hill sideways!!! in an M60A3 when on maneuvers in a sleet storm in Baumholder (sp?) Germany. It was scary as Hades!

I was surprised that some of those guys didn't throw a track to the inside, the way they slammed into the dirt....

Was told that if it was really necessary to operate in that Kind of weather, we would be ordered to flip every 5th center guide in the tracks over to provide a kind of clete. would have ruined them pretty fast, and would really tear Hades out of any kind of pavement....

But needs must when the Devil drives....

Looks to me like it's more a factor of training and practice than the tanks themselves.

Truth there too!

You can see that on the roads anywhere during a snow storm....

Also, those tanks the Norwegians were using in the video were Leopard1s from West Germany.....

I was expecting to see something more along the lines of this thing:

GAZ-3344_multirole_tractor_vehicle_Russi

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

Hey, does this thread means we can start calling those in House Procrastius Malingerers, and Goldbrickers, and.....

::P:

• Like 4

I live near the US Coast Guard Academy, and we've been referring to them as "Coasties" for so long that even a lot of the students there use the term when you ask what they do for a living. Back in college, there was a Coast Guard R&D station on our campus - we used to refer to them as the Coast Toasties because there were always strange smells coming from that part of the building.

Funny anecdote: I once hung out at a party with an Italian submariner who's name, I kid you not, was Calamari... ::D:

• Like 6

I live near the US Coast Guard Academy, and we've been referring to them as "Coasties" for so long that even a lot of the students there use the term when you ask what they do for a living. Back in college, there was a Coast Guard R&D station on our campus - we used to refer to them as the Coast Toasties because there were always strange smells coming from that part of the building.

Funny anecdote: I once hung out at a party with an Italian submariner who's name, I kid you not, was Calamari... ::D:

Guess you already knew why Navy guys are called 'Squids"....

:ph34r:

• Like 4

Also, those tanks the Norwegians were using in the video were Leopard1s from West Germany.....

I was expecting to see something more along the lines of this thing:

GAZ-3344_multirole_tractor_vehicle_Russi

George

No, they're Leopard 2's...

And if you search a bit mote on the 'tube, you'll find plenty of footage of the Norwegian army driving the Bv206. In fact, the wiki page for the 'Bandvagon 206' has a picture of US Marines driving one in Norway.

• Like 2

The BV206 was what I was looking for, just couldn't remember the name....

Who makes them? I think the Swedish army uses them as well....

My bad on the Leos, the turrets looked rounded instead of slab sided, but i didn't look all that close....

George

• Like 2

The Bv206 is made by Hägglunds in Sweden.

It's weird, though, reading who is operating it.

The Massachusetts State Police is understandable. The same with the Hellenic Fire Service, but LEGOLAND?

• Like 5

Actually, a lot of theme parks have something similar to those... They're mostly used by the repair and construction crews for hauling stuff, and by the janitorial staff for garbage runs. In a lot of cases, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to pick up military surplus than to buy a similar civilian vehicle.

Yes - according to the local girls, it's because they develop eight arms when drunk... ::D:

• Like 3

A tank will slide on ice, as the video shows, but even going slowly, you can still slide. I slide down a hill sideways!!! in an M60A3 when on maneuvers in a sleet storm in Baumholder (sp?) Germany. It was scary as Hades!

I was surprised that some of those guys didn't throw a track to the inside, the way they slammed into the dirt....

Yeah, the Germans had that problem in Belgium and Luxembourg during the Bulge. And there are definitely hills on which it doesn't matter how slowly you're moving: When we lived in Zweibrücken I remember a case where parked cars started sliding sideways down a hill in the housing area. Coefficient of static friction only goes so far.

^_^

• Like 3

Yes - according to the local girls, it's because they develop eight arms when drunk... ::D:

I can neither confirm nor deny this. :mellow:

• Like 2

Hey, does this thread means we can start calling those in House Procrastius Malingerers, and Goldbrickers, and.....

Why not?  I've sure been called worse.

That goes with being a sailor.....

:poke:

• Like 5

...but didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

To be honest, that statement describes at least 50% of the people I served with in the USN. And at every job I've had since.

My dad is fond of telling his students to get in the habit of assuming that nobody around you ever scored more than 70% on whatever test they had to take to "qualify" for whatever activity they're currently engaged in. This way, you'll never be surprised when they screw up, you'll be pleasantly surprised when things go smooth, and most importantly, you'll remember to always be as on your own game as possible, lest you end up dead from unexpected adjacence to sudden catastrophic negligence.

What do they call the guy who finished with the lowest grades in med school?

"Doctor"

Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately attributed to incompetence.

Also, Second Lieutenant

Why not?  I've sure been called worse.

Same here, a LOT worse

• Like 1

Not in the military, but around here we call chronic malingerers Ricky.

For those that remember me talking about my job, he's the one that I have seen be on time twice in two and a half years, usually he's 3-5 hours late. He has been up to 7 hours late in a nine hour shift, and if he's working with the store manager he tries to be less than two hours late.

• Like 1