Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Growltiger

77367: Spell Effect: Shadow Tentacles

Recommended Posts

Those look great. Remind me, are those Bones models?

 

There is a way to edit the tags. Open the first post, use the full version editor, scroll up to the tags field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your work on the tentacles really shows them off. Great job!

 

Tentacles have been on my list for whenever I place my next order from Reaper. I'm tempted to try emulating your work when I do get them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look great to me, o' one-eyed beast.  I like the transition from opacity to translucence.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My players had a rough time this Thursday against these tentacles. Awesome idea and execution on this paint job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look great. Remind me, are those Bones models?

There is a way to edit the tags. Open the first post, use the full version editor, scroll up to the tags field.

 

 

These are the bones version that comes in a nice translucent purple plastic.

 

 

Your work on the tentacles really shows them off. Great job!Tentacles have been on my list for whenever I place my next order from Reaper. I'm tempted to try emulating your work when I do get them.

It's really a super easy effect. Literally 2 or 3 washes of purple ink followed by 1 or 2 washes of black ink.

Then a gloss coat on the back side to help with the ick factor.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rob Dean
      The club's next Ghost Archipelago campaign starts this coming Saturday, so I am taking advantage of the day off to make sure that I am ready.  We are starting with new crews, and my new spell caster (warden) has a spell to create a little piece of blocking terrain, so I decided that I had better make a few today.  I am hoping/expecting that 6 of them should be enough. The parapet is supposed to be 2" long and a half inch high, so I pulled out some 50mm cavalry bases to stack stones on.  
       
      Step One:
       
      Glue on stones and wait for things to dry.
       

       
    • By lazarp
      Hi everyone, just wanted to share this Bigby's Hand spell effect mini I made. It is made of Fimo air dry clay and took me about 30 minutes painting included. I was inspired by D&D Icons of the Realms Spell Effects – Arcane Fury & Divine Might miniatures and diceded to try and make one of my own :D
       

    • By AntiMatter
      Hi folks,
       
      The new Deepstar Kraken model is coming out soon for DeepWars and I painted up this one for display using a lot of inks and liquid acrylics. This model (not really a miniature when this big) was done in different stages. The base painting was done with blue skin and light tentacles. The mantle and top of the tentacles were given two washes of Marine Blue (Ultramarine) liquid acrylics (Dr. Phil Martins brand) mixed with matte medium and water. When the first was dry, the second was applied. The underside of the tentacles was done with a mix of Cerulean Blue ink (Liquitex) + white paint + Matte medium and water.
       

       
      After removing from the base, as it was making it difficult to reach the bottom of the tentacles, I applied many light blue glazes (Cerulean Blue + Ultramarine Blue + White) for highlights and some dark (Ultramarine Blue) glazes for shadows.  The goal was to make the blending mostly smooth but not to go overboard and spend too long on it. The reason will become clear soon.
       

       
      The next stage was the big one. Dots of blue-green, green, yellow-green, white and various shades of orange and Burnt Umber were applied to the mantle and tentacles. This was done using Liquitex inks and Phil Martin liquid acrylics to make sure the dots were very pure in color and, more importantly, flowed evenly off the end of the brush, which was held and used like a pen. After the dots had dried, glazes of inks colors were applied, yellow-green to the mantle and tips of tentacles and bright orange to the “face”. When this dried, more dots were applied over them and highlights were applied to some of the dots using a bit of white or yellow mixed into the ink.
       
       
       

       
      The eyes were done with yellow liquid acrylic mixed with white, black, and a bit of blue as the base. It was highlighted with more white and a touch of yellow. The black iris was painted, then more white highlights were applied around it to clean it up. Finally, the big highlight was added at the top with thinned white. The eyes were not painted as gems (bright bottom, dark top with hot-spot secular reflection) here as the light was meant to be diffused by the water. Maybe next time. The base was done with washes of Burnt Sienna ink first, then washes of Pthalho blue and Marine Blue ink to darken the rocks. it was all drybrushed with Americana brand Buttermilk, then some glazes of greens, magentas and purples were added to the sponges and corals. The barnacles were drybrushed with some white to make them stand out.
       

       

       

       

    • By Kev!
      Howdy,
       
        Bones rats and translucents...
       


      Pic links to full size,
      Kev!
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 102 Guests (See full list)

×