Sign in to follow this  
mrxak

A Veritable Horde of Orcs

That's a pretty serious photo studio setup. I love the lamps. Looking forward to seeing your wip

Hey, I figure if you want to show off your minis, the least you can do is make sure you're taking the best photographs possible of them. That way there's no distractions and the minis can speak for themselves.

Anyway, boiling complete! Well, simmering. I used an old pot I'll dedicate to just mini boiling, since I have concerns about plastic leeching chemicals that might stick to the pot and contaminate food afterwards. I wasn't using that pot anyway. I'll just keep it with my mini supplies.

I've also decided on using two of these glass coffee mugs I have for washing my paintbrushes. One for regular paint, one for metallics. I have 8 other mugs just like them, so these two can just be labeled and live with the rest of my painting gear. If I ever have 10 people over for coffee, two of them can use my ceramic mugs ::P:. They are nice and heavy thick glass, hold a generous volume, and the handles will be useful for moving them around. I used one of these glass mugs with ice water to cool off my minis after boiling. Water transfers heat much faster than air, so an ice bath cools down the minis faster than sticking them in a freezer.

Sure enough, everything I was concerned about straightened itself out well enough on its own in the hot water, just as you said Chaoswolf. Thanks. Even the one berserker is standing up straighter without me having to really try to bend it myself. Nothing is quite perfect, but it's a big improvement across the board and I'll be happy to paint them now. I'll clean them next, and then see where I'm at in terms of mold lines.

• Like 2

Hey, I figure if you want to show off your minis, the least you can do is make sure you're taking the best photographs possible of them.

I've been guilty of the least you can do... That setup ain't the least... Pretty sure that setup qualifies for semi-pro

My backdrops are back on the grid, and out for delivery! Woo! So, I'll be able to play around with those and maybe I'll upload some pictures to the shutterbug forum later. I'll just be glad that my mini photo studio is finally completed, and I can focus on setting up my painting workspace.

My paints are also in the state, arrived early this morning, though it's probably wishful thinking they'll arrive a day early and get to me by tonight. Hopefully it's going to be an early delivery tomorrow. I am self-employed, work from home in a job that doesn't require I work in normal business hours, so as soon as the paints do arrive I can actually start painting immediately.

Consequently, I will be finishing my prep work today. I scrubbed the minis yesterday, cut off the obvious flash, and all that's left to do now is take care of mold lines. I'm a little nervous I'll cut off bits I don't want to cut off, but if I want to paint ASAP tomorrow I'd better just bite the bullet and get it done today.

For the first day painting I'd like to prime with brown liner, or at least try it on one and see if I like doing that. I'll work on eyes after that, and hopefully have time to get a base coat on all of the skin except Kavorgh, who I'll do last after all the other orcs are finished.

• Like 2

Ahh...  that's right, I was being lazy I guess.  Mold lines aren't too terrible on bones so long as you have a new xeacto or scalpel blade to slice them down.  Some folks report that sanding needles work well on Bones for removing mold lines, but I haven't tried it personally.

Yeah, I might try filing down certain areas that are harder to get to. Honestly, I'm not too worried about mold lines, but I figure it's something to do while I'm waiting on my paints.

• Like 2

Yeah, I might try filing down certain areas that are harder to get to. Honestly, I'm not too worried about mold lines, but I figure it's something to do while I'm waiting on my paints.

Same for me, they don't bother me much.  Only if they're really egregious and will severely interfere with brushwork do I bother to spend a lot of time cleaning them.  As long as it's a short, smooth seam that won't create problems for me in painting, I don't bother to completely erase mold lines.

• Like 1

Sure enough my backdrops arrived!

mini_studio_orc.jpg

This is the only orc I've ever painted before, and I did him in about an hour at a convention paint-and-take a year ago. I figured it was only right I post a picture showing off my new backdrops using this guy, since I'm about to give him 15 new friends. I hope to greatly improve on him with this new project. He was one of the very first minis I ever painted, when I didn't really know anything, so hopefully that won't be too hard to do.

I am grateful to this guy though for teaching me the effects a wash can have on chain mail. Looking at him now, I can only see the huge number of mistakes I made, and remember how awful it was trying to get him to look even this good, but I learned a lot in the process about washes, the translucency of acrylic paint, and paint mixing. With any luck, this guy will just lower your expectations so I can really knock your socks off when you see what I can accomplish with plenty of time and the education I've gotten from these forums  :poke:.

I did some work on the mold lines today, I'll see about finishing them off tonight as I got the TV on. Then there's really nothing left to do except start painting them when my paints arrive tomorrow. Hopefully they'll come before noon and I'll have pictures of my progress before the evening.

• Like 6

Good gosh that photography setup is intense.  Any mini that can stand up to that kind of scrutiny is more than welcome on my battlemat!  (Guess that means mine aren't :lol: )

Okay, so my paints did arrive and then I spent a LOT of time checking that I got the ones I ordered, organizing them, and painting their caps to make finding colors easier. The last step involved a lot of shaking and nozzle-unclogging, which is responsible for most of that time, but I wanted to make sure the color on the caps was the color that best represents what's inside. That meant squirting out a few drops that were in the nozzle to clear any separated color, which quickly turned into abstract art.

Encounter-at-Orcfang.jpg

I call this piece Encounter at Orcfang. Can you tell which paints I now own? I'll give you a hint, one of them is New Gold :poke:.

Humans-Only-Tavern.jpg

This one is Humans Only Tavern. I decided to use a new paper towel for the skin tones.

I did a third piece called Oops I Forgot the Liners but that's a rather minimalist work ::P:.

Anyway, I figure this is more interesting than boring pictures of orcs covered in a thin layer of brown liner. I'm still hoping to get my eyes done tonight, and get those pictures up, but right now I need dinner and some time away from my paints. I do love them though, and my mind is just churning over the possibilities, with the metallics in particular. I don't know what I'm going to do with Sparkling Amethyst yet, and it won't be this project, but I really want to use it somewhere.

• Like 4

Eyes are hard. Here's attempt #1. I don't think I went dark enough with the eye liner. I'll go over it again. I might use that color in this image as my basecoat for skin, though. I kinda like it.

orc_eyes_1.jpg

This is obviously way, way zoomed in, and with normal human vision it looks pretty great already. I'm painting these eyes at 2.5x magnification and it looks fairly good at that level. Still, I want to do better, and luckily I have lots of other orcs to practice on. Anyway, it's already too late at night, so I gotta crash. I'll pick this up again after I get some more sleep.

Edited by mrxak
  • Like 4