Sign in to follow this  
MrNutt

Paint flowing into recesses too much?

I have a pathfinder red dragon that I am painting. My plan was to basecoat it in a dark dull red and then layer lighter shades onto the scales. What I am finding though is that the paint I apply flows into the recesses and off the raised areas... which is having the opposite of the desired effect. I have been thinning my paints about 2:1 with a water/retardant mix... am I maybe still thinning them too much?

I am also having difficulties with my drybrushing. Is it important that drybrushing paint be unthinned? I'm sure I had an easier time when I was a kid working with the citadel paints (maybe because back then I didn't thin them?).

Assuming you're using Reaper paints, that's a really thin wash consistency, so it's not much surprise it's acting like a wash. With Reaper and similarly thin paints you want to slightly thin (maybe 10-25% water/thinner) the paint to make sure you don't get brush marks. You can sometimes get away without thinning at all, depending how old the paint is. With thicker base paints you need to thin a bit more to get to the same place.

For dry brushing, you don't want to thin at all, and usually want to pull some of the liquid out of the paint before you apply paint to model.

• Like 1

Wick the paint onto a towel and flatten the brush into a paddle. As you get comfortable and more skillful with brushing, you can shape the brush differently for "better" coverage!

• Like 1

Assuming you're using Reaper paints, that's a really thin wash consistency, so it's not much surprise it's acting like a wash. With Reaper and similarly thin paints you want to slightly thin (maybe 10-25% water/thinner) the paint to make sure you don't get brush marks. You can sometimes get away without thinning at all, depending how old the paint is. With thicker base paints you need to thin a bit more to get to the same place.

For dry brushing, you don't want to thin at all, and usually want to pull some of the liquid out of the paint before you apply paint to model.

Thanks, I'm having far more success now.