That's cute. It ruins plans, enslaves lesser creatures, defies gravity, and tpk's all with a smile.

I'm thinking the nose is fine, the only single nostrils I can immediately recall are marine.

Seriously though, I'm loving the happy vibe I'm getting here: That's exactly how I picture something so potent realizing new things have wandered into its home. It's not just seeing food.

It's seeing toys.

• Like 3

Excellent work!  Love the interpretation.  Definitely like the story implications.  Makes it lean more towards chaotic evil which could be very fun for his actions in game and interaction with PCs.

Now you just need to make a cast and get copies out to forumites (I call first!) ;)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and the character you helped create for this playful batty.

In the meantime I got a bit further on him (her?). I made a silicone mold but my first resin casts didn't come out even remotely good. Well, it isn't a simple piece to start with.

I then painted the green and built a base. So I've still got to paint the base up and put the whole thing up to Show-Off.

Also there are more resin casts to do, I still have some faith left in that mold.

More C&C please! :D

base_wip_01.jpg

base_wip_03.jpg

beholder_wip_03.jpgbeholder_wip_02.jpg

Edited by Tosek
  • Like 11

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      In the country of the blind, the saying goes, the one-eyed man is king. Certainly when venturing into the obscure unknown of space, the monocular Illyrians are as good as any human, despite a completely different evolution. Their quick regeneration and centrally-located brain-analogue allow them to survive injuries a human could not, while their alien metabolism means resource competition between human and Illyrian is minimal. 

Here is one brave planetary explorer on a rugged rocky ringed planet. It appears extensively cratered, but the presence of atmosphere and weather should have worn the features down...

Well, that answers that! 

Distant evolutionary cousins, perhaps? Or just convergence? 

These native life forms are unused to creatures with eyestalks like theirs that can move about freely on the surface! 

The eye-worms are unused eyestalks from a Wizkids Beholder--they come with a set each of Eyebeam Eyes and Regular Eyes. Waste not!
      They were inspired by this pulpy artwork--not mine, all credit to the original artist.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all!  With the year nearly at its end, this seemed like a great time to share a comparison project to reflect on this past year's growth.

A little over a year ago a painted up my first Beholder, and last month I painted another.  I was particularly proud of the first so it's interesting to see a side-by-side a year apart.

More Below the Spoiler:

It's always fun to compare two similar models that have been painted with time in between.  I'm always impressed by how much I can grow in this hobby in such a short amount of time.  I only painted my first skeleton a little over two years ago.  My confidence in layering has improved and it is now my go-to method of painting.  Drybrushing and Washes are now reserved for specific effects and textures.  My speed has increased, and I feel more comfortable adding freehanded details.

I'm proud of the growth I've had this past year and look forward to the improvements next year brings.  And these guys will be looking forward as well.  And backwards.  And sideways.  Always watching.

How have you improved this year?
    • By vulture
      Continuing my posting spree. This beholder is the fist model I have printed and painted. I went for a very simple,  classic look, and I was really pleased with the bright purples. I have been enjoying MZ's catalog, but man, printing stuff is a lot of work.

I really enjoy painting eyes, so this subject was a treat.The Spectator is now on my shortlist to paint thanks to the positive experience I had with the dodgeball of doom.
    • By TheGhostPepper
      I recently finished up this book nook.  I was inspired by Black Magic Craft (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxOWFbYNTOo&fbclid=IwAR0KPsFmpNYhvNHcca_3uWtP4U3fLk1F8InSrhXuLQB94Fj0EPAc_wwDbHo).  I made this for a good friend that I have played DND with who is moving and wanted a little going away present to give to him. Painted with mix of Reaper Paints and Vallejo paints.  The terrain is 3D printed, stalagmites are from Thingiverse and the ruins are from Printable Scenery (https://www.printablescenery.com/) that I modified on Meshmixer.  This was my first time working with poured resin and LED lighting, was a lot of fun and now I am definitely going to make one for myself. 

• By Maledrakh
      Nolzur's do make a few great monster minis, even though most -if not all- of their humanoid minis are too small, weedy and have too shallow detailing for my liking. Here is one:

Yep, a dead head.

50mm base.
      The main colour is Citadel Contrast Plaguebearer flesh, the rest is regular paint.

This mini was finished September 12th 2020.

Zombie Beholder
      Nolzur's Marvellous Miniatures, Wave 11 2020
      Wizkids
      I have no idea who sculpted this, as WizKids do not -as far as I know- publish this info.
      PVC,
      50mm base
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)