Question about Zombies moving towards loud noises.

Darsc Zacal

Has this always been a thing in Zombie lore? Or is it a recent development?

I don't recall it from movies I saw when I was younger, but it plays a prominent role in The Walking Dead which I've only recently started watching.

Reason I ask is because I've noticed it appears to be a staple game mechanic in many zombie games.

• Like 3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably one of the best questions I've heard in a while. I just always assumed it was part of zombie lore. I think early on in the walking dead the characters used dismembered zombie parts rubbed on themselves to fool zombies senses of smell, which was new to me.

• Like 3

Sound is one of the more 'primitive' senses, so it makes sense that if a zombie has any senses left, that's one.

But... assuming that zombies deteriorate, the membrane is pretty fragile.

Note that human hearing isn't all that directionally accurate. At best we can narrow it down to a 45degree arc.

Vision is a more delicate sense, so I would expect it to deteriorate faster, or not function at all.

The best way of getting rid of zombies is probably tossing a string of firecrackers over a cliff...

Any zombies that doesn't fall over the edge are probably too far gone to detect you anyway, and is not really a danger any more unless you get in direct contact.

Shooting them in the chest or possibly even a 'minor' damage to the head shouldn't stop a zombie. For one, there's no important organs in the body any more, and a virus is probably sitting in the brain stem, not in the frontal lobes.

Burning(most virus can't handle temperatures over 42C) or decapitation is the most sensible way of stopping it once and for all.

But anything that destroys the major structural parts(bones and major muscle groups) should stop or slow it down.

FlashBangs may be a good way of rendering them relatively harmless.

That is, as long as they're the 'reanimated by virus' type zombies.

When you add magic, though, all bets are off.

Yeah, I really, really hate all those 'zombie apocalypse' movies and stories.

• Like 6

Even in the original Night of the Living Dead, the survivors were worried about the noise of the hammering attracting more zombies. They kept the house lit, too, and more and more of the things kept coming.

I never would have thought to question that zombies are drawn to sound as much as to visual movement. Any ruckus will bring them. In my own zombie lore, they are drawn to any sound that is out of the ordinary, as would be any predatory animal.

The more interesting question for me RE tWD, is what is it in zombie guts and stench that masks a living human.

• Like 3

That's probably one of the best questions I've heard in a while. I just always assumed it was part of zombie lore. I think early on in the walking dead the characters used dismembered zombie parts rubbed on themselves to fool zombies senses of smell, which was new to me.

Well consider that the first people to try the cover yourself in gore trick might not have used enough or panicked anyway and gotten eaten so it took a while for the wisdom to come out.

• Like 1

Even in the original Night of the Living Dead, the survivors were worried about the noise of the hammering attracting more zombies. They kept the house lit, too, and more and more of the things kept coming.

I never would have thought to question that zombies are drawn to sound as much as to visual movement. Any ruckus will bring them. In my own zombie lore, they are drawn to any sound that is out of the ordinary, as would be any predatory animal.

The more interesting question for me RE tWD, is what is it in zombie guts and stench that masks a living human.

If you've ever smelled decomposing flesh (dead animal), you'd know how absolutely overpowering it is. The smell leeches into the surrounding area to dominate every other smell and it's vomitous. I could definitely see Eau De Zombie masking the normal scent of Teh Living.

• Like 3

If you've ever smelled decomposing flesh (dead animal), you'd know how absolutely overpowering it is. The smell leeches into the surrounding area to dominate every other smell and it's vomitous. I could definitely see Eau De Zombie masking the normal scent of Teh Living.

This goes double for dead skunks, triple after about three days when they're putrefying.

• Like 3

No, I understand that. But put it into context. In The Walking Dead, if you are covered in zombie guts, you can make normal noise, walk like a normal person, shoot a gun, stab a walker through the head, and they won't even notice you. Moreover, if you can tame a walker by cutting off its arms and jaw, you can just drag it around on a leash, and its mere proximity protects you from being noticed by other walkers.

So, something else entirely is going on. It throws the entire concept of how they are detecting you into question.

• Like 1