Got any old D&D books?, WoTC might pay you for a scan

Yeah, I've got a near-complete set of hardbound 1e books, including both versions of Deities and Demigods. I'll be darned if I'm cutting them out of their bindings for $50. Suck it, WotC.

Does it say in the specs they have to be cut out of bindings?

Right off their page:

What are the specifications for scanning? 

You will get best results by cutting the spine off the book and by using a sheet-fed scanner for interiors and a flatbed scanner for covers. 

NOTE: Naming files is very important since the front cover, spine, back cover, and interior will be separate files. Make sure the filename is the book title appended with "interior," "spine," etc., and that the interior, spine, front, and back cover are all submitted in a single folder. (That is, each book should be collected in its own folder.) 

Scan each book interior, front cover, back cover, and spine as individual files.  If it's a box set, scan all parts, including each side of the box that the set came in (if it has a box), the same as you would scan a book cover.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've got a near-complete set of hardbound 1e books, including both versions of Deities and Demigods. I'll be darned if I'm cutting them out of their bindings for $50. Suck it, WotC.

Does it say in the specs they have to be cut out of bindings?

Right off their page:

What are the specifications for scanning? 

You will get best results by cutting the spine off the book and by using a sheet-fed scanner for interiors and a flatbed scanner for covers. 

NOTE: Naming files is very important since the front cover, spine, back cover, and interior will be separate files. Make sure the filename is the book title appended with "interior," "spine," etc., and that the interior, spine, front, and back cover are all submitted in a single folder. (That is, each book should be collected in its own folder.) 

Scan each book interior, front cover, back cover, and spine as individual files.  If it's a box set, scan all parts, including each side of the box that the set came in (if it has a box), the same as you would scan a book cover.

I used to work on Mil-Spec publications DSM. There is a big difference between:

"you will get best results by cutting the spine..."

and

"all submittors shall begin by cutting the spine..."  

Not sure how you read the actual words (only a recommended practice)  and it morphed to the second (an imagined requirement).  

(The next two paragraphs however, are straight-up specifications, no doubt.)

Mostly a moot point for me. I am not gonna futz with any of this. They are effectively hiring something to be done, without really hiring anybody, and being really particular about some of it. 

• Like 3

Wow.

So WotC is offering a minuscule bounty for collectors to destroy their own cherished and utterly irreplaceable old books and modules so that WotC can get cheap, lucrative scans of their own products they didn't bother to keep copies of to sell for profit.

Does anyone else have a growing sense that WotC thinks its own customers are tools?

• Like 3

Wow.

So WotC is offering a minuscule bounty for collectors to destroy their own cherished and utterly irreplaceable old books and modules so that WotC can get cheap, lucrative scans of their own products they didn't bother to keep copies of to sell for profit.

Does anyone else have a growing sense that WotC thinks its own customers are tools?

I would have said 'fools'...in that sentence.

This is a form of crowdsourcing...not a very laudable form. Zooniverse does it better.

Wow.

They asked, the people who own the books can do whatever they want. I see nothing at all wrong with them asking and they'll probably get plenty of people willing to do some scanning for a quick $50. If someone wants to take a collectible book that already has a broken binding and it's pages falling out and finish the job on it it's not a big deal. They aren't tools or fools for doing it, they get to change a bit of their free time into $50 and are none the worse for it.

This applies to them asking for free art work too. Sure, professionals may hate it. They wish they had been offered the job instead. The people sitting at home doodling with no intention of selling their art anyway? If they want to give it away in exchange for getting warm fuzzies when they see it publish that's up to them. They aren't being hurt by doing in the slightest and they are in no way stupid for doing it either.

• Like 2

Wow.

Beginning to think that someone is copying the GW business model....

Wow.

I chuckled to myself when I first heard WoTC/Hasbro was offering a pittance for scans.  I've got runs of D&D (3 modules short of complete), 1eAD&D (2 modules short of complete), and 2eAD&D (complete) which I accumulated in 30 years of gaming.  Will I do them a solid and scan it for them?  Nope.  I don't feel that I owe Hasborg or the gaming "community" anything - ten years of moderating at Dragonsfoot killed my love of gaming, and left me with a powerful dislike for game companies and, more importantly, gamers in general.  $50 for my time is insulting. If anyone wants my stuff, they're welcome to it all - providing that they pay collector's prices, pay cash, and take all of it at one go.

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot

Just posting this out there in a bunch of places... did ANYONE get paid? Please feel free to msg me privately if you'd rather not post publicly.

The previous link to the form to submit files now leads to a page that says:

Thank you for your interest in DriveThruRPG's D&D Scanning Project.
At this time we are no longer accepting scans or submissions.