I need some help with this mini..

Jaws

I am in a bit of a pickle. I've searched around and tried looking at a few threads but I'd like to post my mini and get some concrete advice on how to proceed.

I've thought about just spraying it white again, and keep it with the ghostly green all over, but I'd kind of like some additional detail, and thought the dress was great as blue,. It's the rest that don't want to work. Especially the hair and white threads: 

post-13938-0-62216400-1456324091_thumb.jpg

Any opinion is valid here. I just mainly need advice on what might work in regards to colour combinations. And maybe some advice on how to shade the white parts properly. Although I think I'll go with a creamy wash?

• Like 4

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The gold bracelets are throwing you off. Stick with cool colors like silver. 

I would do the dress between the lacing the same as the rest of it. Then if you paint the lacing white it will stand out.  If you mean that area to be "skin" then her face and other parts need to be lighter or darker than they currently are so that you get contrast with the hair. 

• Like 4

If you shade your whites, keep them "cool" with a blue, purple, green, or grey tint. Creams and yellows will warm it up and contrast with the blues and may remove the ghostly feel you're looking for.

Use a pure white and mix in a cool color to get your desired shade if you don't have a cool white.

• Like 4

I'm going to go with a bit of a different tack on this.  I think the gold can work if you paint the wood behind her in dark, warm colors and focus on lighter, cooler colors for her.  I'd crank up the paleness of the skin and add in a bit of a bluish tinge to it, with a bright white for the character's trim, and then use a dark mahogany for the main hull of the boat, a deep red for the background on the scrollwork, and a yellowish brown for the ropes.  The anchor would be a rusted silver, bridging the two parts together, and the bracers can do the same, transitioning from golden shadows up to silvery highlights.  This will help give more contrast to the character portion of the figure, which can certainly help make it look good.

• Like 2

Thanks. I will definitely go with silver bracelets. 

I'll also use Inarah's idea of just making the 'skin area' a part of the dress.

I've considered using a white-ish blue colour for the skin, but I kind of want her to sort of blend with the ghost ship towards the back.. Might be more than I can handle.. I'll try anyway. :)

Also a big thanks for the advice on shading the white areas. Cool blue it will be. :D

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all. Was hoping you could help me find a mini.

I have a player in an upcoming game of D&D who wants a flying monkey as a familiar. 

I'm having trouble finding a good option. I'm surprised how few options there are.

I'm looking for one with feathered wings as opposed to bat wings. And something without a fez. Minimal clothing is okay (a vest or some bracelets) but in general looking for something that's more like a wild animal.

STLs are okay. But physical is better.

Thanks in advance!
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Hi gang.

I always have trouble with finishing minis if they take too long.  Groups of minis are a frequent struggle for me.  What kind of advice do you have to avoid burnout?

I try to mix things up to stave off the exhaustion and tedium.  I typically switch off between working on groups of minis, to just doing one at a time.  Small minis to big minis.  Detailed minis to simple minis.  I'll even avoid things that are the same color back-to-back.  Anything to help avoid getting sick of painting.

But I have a harder time just getting through a group of minis.  I'll try breaking them into sub groups, or just focusing on painting everything of the same color like all of the wood, or all the leather.

Maybe I'm just tired in general, but I'm definitely feeling worn down on my current set, which is a shame because I am excited to see them finished.

What advice do you have?

How do you avoid burnout?

How do you get yourself to just keep painting?
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Looking for some advice on using inks in painting.

So I've seen people using inks and spouting praise about their uses with mini painting.  Especially for glazing purposes.  I got a set of cheaper inks last christmas, but they really didn't play nice.  They were constantly rehydrating.  Even with a protective layer of spray varnish.  As soon as I painted over top of it, the color would bleed back up.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong?  Or if I was using a kind of ink that wasn't compatible?  I bought a set of 10 colors from amazon - ZZKOKO caligraphy pen ink.

I got an airbrush recently and have heard that white ink results in smoother zenithal than traditional white paint.  Any words of warning?
    • By Fnordlover
      Picture them in your head. Crazy, evil cultists. Secret meetings, twisted plots, midnight masses in service of the unthinkable. Got it? What color are their robes?

I'm about to start painting a group of cultists and I'm having trouble deciding on a color. I don't want the color to be indicative of their allegiance, I want them to be able to stand in for any group of evil cultists.

So I want to put it to the Forumites: What color says, "that's an evil cultist," without having it say, "That's a cultist of (blank)?" What color robes do you wear when you worship your dark Deity of choice? What color looks great, even if it covers 90% of the miniature?
    • By MusicalFeline
      Right, so this is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways, because, well, I'm uncertain.

So a week ago, I purchased the D&D/Army Painter Monster Paint Set. Fantastic set, contains more paints than I'll need ever for a decade for a year for an undetermined period of time.

Anyways, this set came with three washes - Shadow Wash, Flesh Wash, and Brown Wash. As recommended by several other painters on a different post, I decided I'd use these premade washes rather than the thinned-down paint I had been using in the past. However...

I doubted, and now I'm uncertain. After a quick google search, I'm even more confused as I saw contradictory answers, and answers that weren't really answers. I know I'm being irrational, but do you use these the same way as thinned-down paint (applying to the miniature after it's been basecoated?), or do you use it some other way?

Again, stupid question, but as they say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)