“They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.†- Andy Warhol

2015 was a really big year of emotional recovery for me. It's taken several years, but I truly felt that change last year. So with that progress in mind, I decided I wanted more. I've dedicated 2016 to learning about my favorite thing in the whole wide world - ART!

I've got a lot to learn and a lot of time to get back. I'm going to make it worth my while to make time for art. I'll be using this thread as a goal marker if you would like to learn with me. ::):

These are my 2016 Goals:

PAINTING

I would like to have a dragon and a snowglobe done this year. I want to have a ReaperCon entry as well. Progress will be posted on the normal part of the forums.

- Mini Painting - Speedy Swashbucklin' Sea Scamps, Pokemon themed ReaperCon/Spring Exchange

- Non Mini Painting - Drink Coasters,

SCULPTING
Sculpt something! Whether it's terrain or a Parading Penguin Present Party, I want to start!
- Sculpting in progress - Learning to sculpt thread!

DRAWING
I have a sketchbook that I'd like to fill up by the end of the year by drawing in it for a few minutes every day. I'd like to get better at drawing - I want to learn the fundamentals and develop my own unique blend of animated and realistic styles. I'll post my favorite drawings of the month here. The rest can be seen on my Facebook albums, which are set to public. You can add or follow me if you would like.  ^_^

Longest consecutive streak: 245 Days (May 1-December 31) 316/365 = 86%!!

Jan: 23/31 74%

Feb: 23/29 79% - I got a tooth pulled and lost a week. That could have been 100%! :down:

Mar: 15/31 48% - Lesson 1 completed!

Apr: 9/30 30% - Ouch! I did a lot of lessons on those days, though. Lesson 2 completed!
May: 31/31 100% - :bday: !!! Both challenges completed, and nearly finished Lesson 3.  
Jun: 30/30 100% - :bday: !!! I did it again! A lot of fast sketches this month.
Jul: 31/31 100% -  :bday: !!! 3 month streak! Cosplay and Overwatch sort of took over, though I did get some sculpting in!
Aug: 31/31 100% - :bday: !!! 4 month streak!
Sep: 30/30 100% :bday: !!! 5 month streak! It was really close this month! Some days were just a few quick gesture sketches.
Oct: 31/31 100% -   :bday: !!! 6 month streak! Holy cow, I didn't think I was going to get so far! October has always been good to me though.
Nov: 30/30 100% -  :bday: !!! 7 month streak! Wow, November sucked. But it's done!
Dec: 31/31 100% -   :bday: !!! 8 month streak!
Random Drawings: Ma'al Dragon Heads (printable ones here), ub3r's Velicia Torynn,
Trading Cards: Ocean Sylvari, Pern Dragon,

COSPLAY/SEWING
Another art craft I've wanted to really get into! I'd like to finally complete one cosplay this year, whether that's something Morihalda would wear, ReaperCon Sophie, or something from a video game!
- Harry Potter Hufflepuff dress: Done!
- Harry Potter robes, movie style: Post 1, Done!
- Arcanine Kigurumi in progress: Post 1,
- Morihalda Silversage: Post 1, Presentable/Done-ish
- Bewitching Nidalee: Post 1, Done!

I hope you enjoy the journey with me!
Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 19
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I'll wait to post February, since we've only a week left. 

Sculpting progress - I'm working on something special for the Spring Exchange! Surprises are really difficult for me, I may just 'splode from excitement haha.

Ummm.... Other stuff I've done... Humm. It's so strange to post the final image of something and not see the hours and hours of the work (and the trash and the erasing...) before it....

These coasters were done over a series of several dates from November to early January - at the same ceramic shop where we met! :wub: I drew Wendy and Woodie from Don't Starve. My better half painted Woodie. I painted Wendy and the black lines on his. I wish I had painted more layers of purple! Our paint dates were the best thing ever, I hope we do it again soon. We want to make 2 more from their Shipwrecked expansion one day. Or maybe make 2 from Guild of Dungeoneering... Hmmm.... 

pVcMvK7.jpg?1

It's not from 2016, but the positive reaction I got from the Box of Goodwill about my art last summer had a huge impact on my desire to keep drawing and getting better. I didn't have any minis to donate, so I did some drawings instead. So thank you for being so incredibly nice and positive about it. ::): I do not have scans of the girl or the 4th dragon, though. You may recognize the heads from a certain... 5-headed...entity...

UH. They are HUGE.  :blink: I think they are somehow bigger on screen than the coloring pages (I removed the colored cardstock background for those) I printed out for the BoG.  :blink:

12484616_135847520124675_229902697005320

12466159_135847526791341_353002790541007

12487243_135847530124674_906083157101195

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 18

Yep, this thread is now a beautiful, happy place. Thank you for posting your art here so I can ooh and aah over everything on a large screen, especially those gorgeous dragon heads. Like, I already knew those were gorgeous, but to be able to see all of the detail. :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 8

Quick response to all lumped together since I'm about to walk out the door -

Aww, thanks you guys! I would like my style to have some eastern influences, so I have a few manga artists that I follow. Different subjects means I can keep trying different styles! I grabbed my printed copies of the dragons to take to the office and scan in - hopefully the water wrinkles won't show up, and then y'all can print those, if you would like. ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TripleH
      New books be Dave Taylor, one of which features Aaron Lovejoy, Matt Dipietro, and Elizabeth Beckley of Miniature Monthly and others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560579763/the-art-of-volumes-1-3?ref=user_menu

If you would like to just get two of the three books, the best way to do so is to pledge for one of the books, then increase your pledge total to include the Add-on price for the second book below. 

We will be using BackerKit as our pledge manager and that's where you'll have the opportunity to make those specific choices. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or by messaging me here on Kickstarter.

THE ART OF…
      For more than 30 years I have spent a great deal of time talking with hundreds of artists who paint miniatures – for fun, for a living, for relaxation – and I am always intrigued to learn more about their philosophies, approaches, and processes. Some of these artists have spent decades refining their technical skills, while others bring their “traditional” art training to the miniatures world. Some draw inspiration from the most unusual of places, while others find it in popular culture turned on its head.

THE ART OF… series of books will highlight fantastic miniatures artists from around the world, bringing their thoughts and passions to stand alongside their magnificent and inspirational work. We’ll be featuring both individuals and groups in this series, as we explore innovative approaches, studied refinements, and even tangential influences.
      These books will be both a celebration of the artist and their art, as well as an opportunity for them to present their thoughts on particular topics and let the world know why they approach their art the way they do. These will not be “How To” books, but rather complements to their existing outlets work that the artists are already doing.
      This is just the beginning of THE ART OF… series. With so many wonderful miniatures artists, there is so much potential to explore.

Volume 1 – THE ART OF... Miniature Monthly
      Miniature Monthly is a collective of three professional painters from the US – Aaron Lovejoy, Elizabeth Beckley, and Matt DiPietro – who have a Patreon (Miniature Monthly) producing painting tutorial videos. All three are (or have been) studio painters for a number of different companies and they each bring something different to the table. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 128 pages.
      Aaron will cover:
      • Creating a team/collective – looking at The Painters’ Guild and Miniature Monthly
      • Striking a balance between Speed and High-end painting
      • Freehand – Adding depth and texture
      Elizabeth will cover:
      • Smooth Skin – featuring work on the Kingdom Death minis
      • Chibi Art – how painting chibis differs from “standard” miniatures
      Matt will cover:
           • Ancient methods with infinite possibilities.
      • The Art of miniatures, – Finding your voice and engaging with the audience.
      https://www.patreon.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.facebook.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.instagram.com/artoflovejoy/
      https://www.instagram.com/miniature_mistress/
      https://www.instagram.com/mattdipietroart/

Volume 2 – THE ART OF... Christof Keil
      Christof Keil (aka k03rnl) is an artist from Germany who has made a name for himself with his incredible kitbashes and conversions and his work to turn 2D artwork into 3D pieces. Christof’s day job as a blacksmith working on enormous metal sculptures has given him a precise eye for balance and motion. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • Kitbashing – a focus on anatomy, balance, silhouette
      • The Black Phalanx – a kitbashed project
      • Sculpting – creating reliefs and busts
      • Painting Black – an exercise in mimicking the masters
      • Black Templars – recreating the John Blanche art of 3rd Edition
      https://www.instagram.com/k03rnl/
      https://www.instagram.com/black.phallanx.sculpts/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsw4HOpTJ2MWvSbiBCT7-g

Volume 3 – THE ART OF... Ana Polanšćak
      Ana is a professional miniatures painter from Croatia who is widely regarded for her world-building miniatures art. Her converted and sculpted miniatures blend seamlessly with her terrain work to create dark corners of worlds that beg to be explored – at your peril. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • World Building – a focus on selecting a starting point and key developments. Working on your own worlds and collaborating with others
      • Gardens of Hecate – a world created by Ana
      • AoS28 – Hosting the LEGEN and the Sunhold campaigns
      • Sculpting – What it’s like to turn concepts into physical sculpts for the miniatures market, and the reliquary/artifact creations
      https://www.instagram.com/gardensofhecate/
      http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com
      https://gardensofhecate.com
    • By Morihalda
      This thread is brought to you by the number 3!

Table of Contents:
      - Mori Tells a Story: Below
      - Rambling, Part 3: Throughout
      - Mannequin: Completed
      - Kiara: 1: Design, 2: Workflow and Blockout, 3: Finished Blockout,
      - Amaya:

2020 was STILL spent on my brain and learning, even if my hands wouldn't let me practice it.
      Between my arms getting worse and *gestures broadly in 2020,* that didn't leave much energy for socializing either.
      But now that I have fixed arms, I'm excited to pace myself get my butt into the art chair! Wooo! Nevermind, my arms are still dying and the doctor said I have to pace myself.
      As much as I would like to continue with green stuff sculpting, I just can't sculpt physically as long as I can digitally. So for now, digital practice it is!

While I couldn't actually *do* anything with the information I learned over the last year and a half, I took tons of notes and tried to reread them when I could.
      I'm happy to list the videos and books if folks are interested. :)
    • By Morihalda
      Wooo! Since I have arms again, I can paint again!

I know it can be more difficult to get better blends on larger surfaces, but some semblance of brush control seems more important to get back first. That seems easier to do with larger areas first. And I've been dying to work on this piece for years, so it all works out!

These bookends were a gift from a friend a couple years ago. He was moving across the country and entrusted his more fragile Lord of the Rings pieces to me. I loved it. It's a Weta Workshop/Sideshow Collectible titled, "No Admittance."

Bookends in their well-loved, gifted state and after a *very* good dusting last week!

Primed a couple days ago! The weather has been kinda meh for priming so this is the best it's gonna get haha.

I put some color on this morning! Reaper paints, of course. I grabbed The Hobbit audiobook from my library's app, so I'm very excited to cozy up with a good book and get to painting this winter!

(Current time excluding prep: 1.5 hours)

Bah. I'm gonna have to edit this later so Gandalf stays on the right side throughout my photos!
      Edit: You know, I think he looks better on the left. Then you can see both faces properly when turned.
    • By Morihalda
      I apologize for not being on the forums (or doing art) so much lately! Between "2020," a new house, and my arm problems, I lost a lot of drive. Kinda hard to keep up the discipline of practicing and/or enjoying art when you physically can't do it....

We finally saved up enough to get my right arm looked at in late September. I've only mentioned it a few times, but I've had problems in both hands for several years. I already couldn't do too much each day, but back in March my right elbow began to be in severe daily pain too. I couldn't do anything at all for seven months.

My doctor listened (!), called for a test that we were able to do right away, and confirmed that I had pinched nerves in both arms. He said it likely happened when I was a kid and that's why I've had all those other misdiagnosed issues for so many years! Within 10 days, he performed the surgery on both elbows.

I couldn't do anything for another month except pout on the couch LOL but I am finally cleared for all activities again! My hand strength is half of what it should be and it will take some time, but I have a list of exercises to fix that. He also set me up with another doctor who will look at my back problems in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll be able to start running around again too! I miss nature!

I promised the doctor I would take it slow. But! I'm so excited to be back here with everyone for art and friend time!

So how are you all holding up?? I've missed well over 400 pages in the Randomness thread!
    • By Iron
      Hello friends
      We want to show you our next Kickstarter Exclusive campaign on October 13, with 5 models of hygienic and reusable masks with up to 85 washes, with exclusive illustrations by David Daza
      Rising Creature model:

This is the link to the Kickstarter campaign
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/juegorama/juegorama-board-game-masks

Soon more news
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)