Box of Goodwill, Basing Edition - Interest Thread

SGHawkins09

So there was some discussion in the Randomness thread about basing materials and if there would be any interest in a basing version of the Box of Goodwill. Since basing is one of my favorite things and I have collected a lot of various basing materials, I volunteered myself to get this started. I think this would be good for both people new to basing but it could also benefit those that already have stuff. Those new to basing would be able to start building their supply of materials while those that have some already might be able to get material that may not be readily available where they live and it would provide an opportunity for them to unload stuff they may have too much of. For example, one of the things that I love to use in basing is pine bark but I do not have any trees near me but someone else might have trees in their backyard. On the other hand, I have collected a lot of cork in various thickness and I was given some plasticard for Christmas that I rarely use, both of those would be good for someone new to basing. Also people will use something on their bases that someone else may not have thought to use and so putting some in the box may spark someone's imagination.

So who is interested? Any thoughts?

• Like 9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely help relieve some folks of their basing materials! :lol:

I can also try making teeny plants or something out of GS that folks might be interested in using for their bases.

I also mentioned previously - because of the natural materials, we may be split by country....

• Like 4

I would like a stipulation...

I know some forms of glitter make for good basing (round glitter for coins and glitter beads) but please make sure if you include such items to clearly mark it. :ik_oops:

No Glitterbombs! (Especially from moi) :lol:

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 9

Being the founder of this idea, I think the stipulation of clear making and no glitter bombs stands.

I imagine this box won't go international yet though. Also I can be half way through if ub3r wants an if-needed reseeding point. If people would like to see specific base types then they can request here.

We're all about that base, bout that base, no derro...

...What? ::P:

• Like 4

This should probably be limited to just the US and Canada due to both the natural materials and the weight issue... (anything other than static grass is gonna get heavy really quickly - especially things like HA blocks, cork sheets, jars of sand or actual rocks)  Flat-rate boxes are going to be an absolute necessity.

Depending on when it starts, I may be in...

If I have enough time, I may be able to knock out a bunch more of my scenery bits for it.

• Like 5

As much as I hate to say it, I'd say stick with US and CAN only boxes within each country and not crossing any international borders. Some of these basing materials could get caught up in customs pretty easily especially if they are from living plants or have powders in them of any sort. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 5

I am pretty new to basing so my pile of basing supplies is obviously too small.  

but im am willing to share what I have, I have a mold for some plants...

What about stamped bases? or premade?  or is this just for plinths and raw supplies? 

I really shoud really move my basing stuff into its own storage area. 

• Like 3

I am pretty new to basing so my pile of basing supplies is obviously too small.  

but im am willing to share what I have, I have a mold for some plants...

What about stamped bases? or premade?  or is this just for plinths and raw supplies? 

I really shoud really move my basing stuff into its own storage area. 

I'm pretty sure any/all basing materials would be allowed. From tufts to static grass to pre-stamped bases to plasticard to corkboard/wine corks to sand/gravel etc.

The sky is the limit on basing really.

• Like 3