Drybrushing Tutorial!

SDub

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used a lot of drybrushing in my time, and getting a really solid idea of when to use it and what it's good for, this isn't a bad video.  However, there's a lot to cover regarding it, and I feel you've only lightly brushed the surface.

First off, the 'dusty' look that you can get from drybrushing is often a result of an uneven primer or base coat, or simply from not drybrushing for long enough.  What do I mean by that last part?  Well, you generally want to hit a specific location at least 100 times while drybrushing, which will significantly  even out the transition between the lower layer and the current layer.

Now, there are also issues with drybrushing that you did not touch on, the biggest one being that if you haven't fully mastered it yet, it is really easy to get the color where you don't want it to go.  This generally isn't an issue when you're dealing with a large area, but it can make for a lot of touch up on a smaller figure or one with a lot of small details mixed throughout.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Pingo
      This is the Reaper Bones 77371 Basilisk sculpted by Julie Guthrie. It's quite small - about the size of a large dog, with a wonderfully grouchy visage.

I painted it up fairly quickly to illustrate a video about how yellow and black can be mixed to make greens. This was an example of the less vivid greens (For a really vivid yellow-and-black green, see my She-Hulk Show-Off thread). All the colors on the critter were mixed just from yellow (mostly Yellow Ochre, but also a little Hansa Yellow), black, and white.

The video is here, if anyone cares to watch it.

• By Pingo
      This is Reaper's magnificent 50212 "Incredible Woman," sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

She's a great figure that can be painted up like a lot of (tall - she's a big one) women superheroes. Wonder Woman is on my wish list, and maybe Captain Marvel one day.

This version is Marvel's She-Hulk from her classic days as one of the Fantastic Four, replacing Ben Grimm for a time.

As a materials and techniques note, I didn't use any green or blue pigments in her skin. It's all mixed from yellow and black. This was partly to prove a point and is kind of central in the art video I posted on YouTube last week: Yellow and Black Make Green.

Enjoy!

• By ThirstyBob
      Show off might be a bit of a misnomer, I'm not the happiest with these guys, mostly putting this up for tips on what I could do better next time.

Paste from final post in  WIP thread:
       Alright "finished" with these guys. When I say "finished" I mean I'm overcoming my perfectionism to move on to something else because they're serviceable. Tried to use some speed painting techniques, but still took way too long, need to work on that. If anyone's got any tips on how I could have made them better without, layering/glazing/something else that takes forever, they would be much appreciated!

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I recently discovered that I really liked listening to D&D games being played while painting.  I watched/listened to a few videos with Matt Mercer DMing some really cool games. 

What podcasts/videos do you all like to watch/listen to?
    • By emmagine
      We are doing a video tutorial series on how we have been painting figures.   The past couple years we have been working out a way for those who are inept (like me) and those who are adept (like Christie) to be able to paint figures fast, and well enough that they look good in person and in a photo.   We have made substantial progress incorporating and modifying techniques we have learned from others (many on these forums,  classes at reaper-con, etc.) Here is out latest video,  step two of our pre-shading process.  Feedback and questions always welcome! 

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)