Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 3 wrap up

We're just about to the end of Sir Forscale's travels with the Box of Goodwill for round 3.

I've got a few observations, and some questions for you.

First off, I think that going forward, we definitely want to try to avoid having this overlap with the holiday season; this round took a heck of a long time to conclude, and I think that might be why.

Second, there (seemed to me, at least) were quite a few communications break downs. I know that real life has a way of rearing it's ugly head at the worst possible times, but everyone please try to do your best to send the box on it's merry way within the one week time frame.  If you can't, that's cool, life happens, but please drop a quick PM to your box coordinator so that everyone knows what's going on.

Ok, questions:

1) Should we try and set this up to happen a finite number of times/year, or just keep it going the way we have been as a more or less constant turn around? (With the exception of avoiding the holiday season)

2) SGHawkins09 is running a basing BoGW (sign up for it, it sounds cool!). Should we slightly change the focus of the box to not have basing stuff, or leave it as is for folks who don't want to sign up for the basing version?

(Reasoning for Q2: I don't want to be in competition with SGHawkins09, I think it's really cool of her to take the idea and run with it. Or am I just over-thinking this?)

3) How many boxes are too many? Should I hold off a bit (it's going to be a few more weeks anyway) before starting off round 4?  Is it going to be a hassle ( and therefore not fun) to have to deal with possibly getting both boxes at the same time, or very near to each other? Or am I over thinking this one, too?

4) Ub3r_N3rd is stepping down as my helper with this ( round of applause, you were a big help, bud. Thank you). Would anyone like to volunteer to take over for him?

It's not a lot of work, especially now as we've gotten most of the wrinkles ironed out. Basically, you'd be there to be a sounding board for any 'brilliant' ideas I come up with, and to help out with answering questions/concerns in the event that I'm out of town or otherwise can't get to them in a timely fashion.

So, let me know what you think.

• Like 11

I'd say maybe twice a year?  Jan-May and June - October? Although after being early on the box list.. the wait is killing me for the next one ;)  

I'm not opposed to bases being in the box, but I think we should keep basing materials to a minimum.  I don't have a lot of use for them, and I think the other box handles that need.

Personally, I'd love for each of our non-basing boxes to just make a full circuit through all the lists.. I don't know if thats the solution to the first problem or not.. where each starter box goes through every persons hands and finally ends back up in the original starters hands as the last stop.  I'm not in the basing BOGW so it's not an issue for me.  Other people's mileage may vary..

• Like 5

1. Keep up with the general rotation (avoiding the holiday season)

2. I'd say leave the make up as is.  None of the boxes that I have interacted with have had what I would feel to be excessive basing materials.  I foresee that most people will throw their basing stuff in the BBOG (basing BOG) rather than the OBOG (Original BOG).  I also foresee people partaking on both the BBOG and the OBOG.

3. I'd say keep the rounds between 6-10 people (2-3 months travel time).

4. I can help out if you need.  I seem to have a lot of time on my hands at my new job.

• Like 8

We're just about to the end of Sir Forscale's travels with the Box of Goodwill for round 3.

I've got a few observations, and some questions for you.

First off, I think that going forward, we definitely want to try to avoid having this overlap with the holiday season; this round took a heck of a long time to conclude, and I think that might be why.

Second, there (seemed to me, at least) were quite a few communications break downs. I know that real life has a way of rearing it's ugly head at the worst possible times, but everyone please try to do your best to send the box on it's merry way within the one week time frame.  If you can't, that's cool, life happens, but please drop a quick PM to your box coordinator so that everyone knows what's going on.

Ok, questions:

1) Should we try and set this up to happen a finite number of times/year, or just keep it going the way we have been as a more or less constant turn around? (With the exception of avoiding the holiday season)

As much fun as it was and as much as I'd like to see it be an infinite loop, I think that would exhaust everyone's backlog of figures too quickly, and spoil the specialness of it. I think twice a year is good: a Spring-Summer round and a Fall-Winter round.

2) SGHawkins09 is running a basing BoGW (sign up for it, it sounds cool!). Should we slightly change the focus of the box to not have basing stuff, or leave it as is for folks who don't want to sign up for the basing version?

I think it should be left as it with a focus on minis, but an allowance for the occasion basing item. I didn't sign up for the basing box, as basing is not a big focus for me,; but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to pick up the occasional item.

(Reasoning for Q2: I don't want to be in competition with SGHawkins09, I think it's really cool of her to take the idea and run with it. Or am I just over-thinking this?)

I think you may be overthinking it. :)

3) How many boxes are too many? Should I hold off a bit (it's going to be a few more weeks anyway) before starting off round 4?  Is it going to be a hassle ( and therefore not fun) to have to deal with possibly getting both boxes at the same time, or very near to each other? Or am I over thinking this one, too?

I think you should go ahead and start. At this pont, if we want to do a second box this year, we're pushing the ability to not get into the holiday season. The odds of someone ending up with both boxes, I think is slim...

4) Ub3r_N3rd is stepping down as my helper with this ( round of applause, you were a big help, bud. Thank you). Would anyone like to volunteer to take over for him?

It's not a lot of work, especially now as we've gotten most of the wrinkles ironed out. Basically, you'd be there to be a sounding board for any 'brilliant' ideas I come up with, and to help out with answering questions/concerns in the event that I'm out of town or otherwise can't get to them in a timely fashion.'

So, let me know what you think.

Thanks, Ub3r for all you did!

• Like 5

1) Keep the current pace. It's approximately three months per circuit with a month break, so three circuits a year. This year might be two circuits if the plan is to start again in April.

2) I see no harm in keeping basing in the box of goodwill. This will continue to help seed people who are new to miniature painting/collecting or new to basing. I took some basing supplies from the previous box of goodwill and it has helped my basing collection grow a little. I only had cork, play sand, glitter, and some color flower packets from scene o scape for California Missions. Now I have gravel, multicolored sand, and some grass. (^__^)

3) Too many boxes? Never! Perhaps a warning about shipping when signing up. Shipping one box is within budget for most people, but if events happen and two boxes arrive, that could hurt their budget. They should know that before signing up, but a warning could help.

4) wish I could, but with how random my job schedule is, I don't visit the forum's as much as I used to. :’(

• Like 5

I agree with two rounds per year for the reasons stated... avoiding major holidays and depleting mini reserves.

I wish I could help organize. I just can't commit to anyrhing. :down:

• Like 6

twice a year make sense to me and as I am in the "International" group (being in Canada) we have not started up a basing box here so I say leave content the way its is.  I can also help if you need it Chaos... just remember I am on the East coast.

• Like 5

I'm opposed to compartmentalizing basing stuff out of this box. I like its inclusion, and it's all the same thing anyway. I don't care whatever whoever wants to do, but I have zero (0) interest in the separate basing box and would hate to see those things lawyered out of this one.

And down those lines, I'd not determine this box's running schedule on the theoreticals of another box. I'd run the box if there's interest in running the box. If people need to pick one or the other, that's cool. Kind of just have to trust everyone's adulting abilities anyway to make any of this work. If there's less interest for this, let some boxes sit out a cycle. If there's not enough interest to do it, wait until there is again.

The scheduling beyond that--whatever. 2-3 times a year seems fine to me. Again, if the interest is there. Avoiding holidays seems fine. Life happens, though; that seems the bigger issue in the speed of boxes. Is anyone bent out of shape about it? No one seems bent. Seems all cool. Maybe someone's rage is festering; I don't know.

I remain peeved with people who don't post pictures of what they take. I don't care if they're slow shipping or slow getting pictures up or any of that; whatever. People got stuff to do. But it's stuffty when they're just flat-out not posting pictures. Just sayin', I guess, since I don't guess there's much to do about it. Aside from maybe declining to include such folks on the next round. I'unno.

Was disappointed "my" box didn't come home this turn. I missed seeing where all my baby'd been and how it'd grown and change. Would like to see it again, still.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 6

Thanks for the mention. I say leave it as is, all the boxes I have gotten have had small amounts of basing stuff and most were pre made bases. I think of this box as the box of everything miniature while the basing box is just basing. There will be some who do not want to participate in the basing box but like seeing some stuff in this one.

• Like 5

Basing should stay in my opinion i am also in the zero interest camp on the basing box. This last round really dragged out the box i was involved with completed its circut In the first week of dec seems like ive been waiting forever for this round to start. At least 3 times a year is my vote. And this should be started asap

• Like 3

I'm happy with 2-3 times per year.  I still have enough assorted stuff for another 20* boxes or so....

I can't get in on the basing box (and likely would pass anyway, I have a lot of basing stuff which I rarely seem to use....) so seeing some basing stuff in the boxes would be nice, as I usually pick out an interesting bit or two I've never seen before.  And bases are a must.  Or just send me a box of assorted bases and I'll replace it with assorted minis... ::):

• Like 5

I remain peeved with people who don't post pictures of what they take. I don't care if they're slow shipping or slow getting pictures up or any of that; whatever. People got stuff to do. But it's stuffty when they're just flat-out not posting pictures. Just sayin', I guess, since I don't guess there's much to do about it. Aside from maybe declining to include such folks on the next round. I'unno.

There were a couple of folks who flat out didn't post in any of the threads. Not to post pictures, or to inform people when they'd gotten the box, or anything. IMO people who don't communicate should not be invited back. Posting, at least basic information, is part of this event.

That being said, I have to cut back my Goodwill Boxing. I'm currently scheduled for the EU box and I signed on for the basing box, but I don't have the mini stock to commit to another minis box. So you can crumple up my opinion and toss it in the recycle bin if you want ::o:

• Like 6

1) Constant turn around is cool with me, but I agree with the holidays. Looking at the stats, things definitely dragged. Maybe time it to have all boxes returned to original by end of October. If you exclude Nov/Dec, you'll probably end up with 2-3 times per year anyway.

2) IMHO Over-Thinking. I personally wouldn't exclude all basing stuff.

3) There can never be too many boxes of goodwill :)

4) Sorry, already over-committed on time

• Like 3

4. I can help out if you need.  I seem to have a lot of time on my hands at my new job.

Cool, you're hired!!

Thank you.

• Like 5

I'm cool with this box and I don't mind a mixture. The box was supposed to be stuff you had excess of. If that's minis cool, if that's basing material, that's cool too! The basing box is more for those who are looking for something specific. Since I'm looking for the weird, it's not for me. This box is.

I do like pictures or at least lists of what got taken. It's part of the fun to see who liked your contributions or something you never had time for finding a happy home. I do understand the occasional need to ship now show later and have been guilty of that during some of my high travel times but at least a list should be mandatory.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 4