This thread is a place to share images of and ideas for materials to use on bases and dioramas.

Remember, no commercial links.

The goal is to share ideas and show what we have on hand.

INDEX

Aryanun's photo of basing supplies.

George's flock and grass thread.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

post-7586-0-57566100-1456819511_thumb.jpg

This is my model RR ballast box. I have several different colors. Mostly fine of extra fine grades (it comes in different sizes). Each little yellow bin contains a different colour or blend of colours.

In the long compartment on the left I store some scratch built tools that I use to pour tiny quantities of the stuff.

• Like 10

attachicon.gifIMG_0016x800.jpg

This is my model RR ballast box. I have several different colors. Mostly fine of extra fine grades (it comes in different sizes). Each little yellow bin contains a different colour or blend of colours.

In the long compartment on the left I store some scratch built tools that I use to pour tiny quantities of the stuff.

I really like this, Sounds like something worth picking up. You think most Model RR stores will have it?

attachicon.gif"http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=104095"IMG_0016x800.jpg[/url]

I really like this, Sounds like something worth picking up. You think most Model RR stores will have it?
All of them will.

It is probably worth mentioning what 'ballast' is.

trackgraphc.jpg

It is the gravel the track is embedded in.

Scale model RR gravel is available in at least three size grades. (Each size grade —there may be four— corresponds to a different RR scale, such as: O, HO, N, Z...) I am not exactly sure why RR construction engineers use the word 'ballast' for gravel but that is the proper term from Z scale all the way up to full-size trains.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

I just reorganized my paint area and after winning that second rack. Most of my bigger containers of basing materials are in the drawers, but I put all of my tufts, ivy, leaves, and bits inside my reaper paint caddy since it was sitting empty in my closet.

12718166_833639893431769_541911074854413

• Like 7

Scale model RR gravel is available in at least three size grades. (Each size grade —there may be four— corresponds to a different RR scale, such as: O, HO, N, Z...) I am not exactly sure why RR construction engineers use the word 'ballast' for gravel but that is the proper term from Z scale all the way up to full-size trains.

Material used to provide stability to a vehicle or structure. The ballast on track allows the track to flex a bit but keeps it in place without much maintenance much like the ballast in a ship keeps the bottom side down where it belongs.

• Like 6

I think most of what I could come up with is "known" things.

I have two things that might be useful to add, only. One is, besides looking at other modeling type (RR, historical) sections for basing and terrain materials, don't be afraid to look through *any* craft section and especially clearance. I use a lot of my scrapbooking tools for basing & terrain as well:

• scissors with shaped patterns,
  •  shaped hole punches (leaves, bricks, etc)
  • paper for textures, or 'wallpaper'
  • the specialized circle cutters
  • stencils

Beading and jewelry is also a natural section to peruse - especially clearance items, of course.

• jump rings - make great 'chains' or connections
  • chain
  • small seed beads, good for textures
  • jewelry tools - very useful for working with pinning using paperclips or whatnot

The other thing I would add, just off top of my head, as I work on my miniatures, I take almost every cutting, scraping, small piece, large piece or anything, really, left over, including sand, ballast or rock and throw it all in its own container. Then, when I need rubble paste - just add PVA and paint. Instant rubble for bases/terrains. Bigger or more interesting pieces I throw into their own container as well for odd bits in the base - structural membranes etc.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gary Pryor
      Tomorrow when there is better light I will try to take some better pictures. For now here are some blurry shots at my first attempt from my bones 4 haul. I have never tried any flocking before, and I made a huge mess. Also I am still pretty new to painting (a couple of years, but infrequently) so if y'all have any criticism (even if it seems like common sense) I could use any tips I can get.

• By Morihalda
      Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:
      - Completely covered giant base.
      - No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.
      - Water with a "live" edge!
      - The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:
      - Plain, round, smaller base.
      - Rocks from his original base are staying.
      - Probably no water.
      - He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that.   Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!
    • By SGHawkins09
      The official arrival/departure thread for Round 2 of the Basing Edition of the Box of Goodwill.

PLEASE make sure to post when you receive the box and when you send it off.

Remember, NO CHATTER, chatter thread is here:

Box of Goodwill, Basing Edition Round 2 - Chatter Thread

SGHawkins09 - sent 2/16
      Keianna - arrived 2/20, sent 2/27
      Sylverthorne - arrived 3/1, sent 3/9
      NecroMancer - arrived 3/12, sent 3/15
      hungerfan - arrived 3/18, sent 3/23
      Ulfheathen - arrived 3/26, sent 4/2
      Aryanun - arrived 4/4, 
      hiddenone32 - new box arrived 6/11, sent 6/15
      Clearman - arrived 6/18
      Guildenstern - arrived 6/27, sent 7/2
      Shadowphaze - arrived 7/5, sent 7/9
      Generic Fighter - arrived 7/11
      Dilvish the Deliverer - arrived 8/8

Dilvish the Deliverer - sent 2/26
      Wyvernfire - arrived 2/27, sent 3/10
      Chaoswolf - arrived 3/12, sent 3/26
      Knarthex - arrived 3/28, sent 4/13
      Paradoxical Mouse - arrived 4/16
      Dragoneye - arrived 8/8, sent ReaperCon
      Kangaroorex - arrived ReaperCon, sent 9/18
      Fire_Eyes - arrived 9/20, sent 
      Keianna - arrived 10/1, sent 10/10
      Pegazus - arrived 10/12
      SparrowMarie - arrived 10/24
      LittleBluberry - arrived 11/10
      SGHawkins09 - arrived 01/18/19

Only two groups this time and they are fairly large so make sure to keep the boxes moving. Also you may notice Keianna is listed in both groups, this is intentional as she did not receive a box last time.
    • By SparrowMarie
      So I'm going to be making a diorama for a friend soon. I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do but no idea how to go about it. I've never worked with cork before and am going to be using quite a bit of it. I want to pour water effects(?) into it but don't want the cork to soak it up. My questions are (photos to be added below for reference):

How do I seal the cork so it won't absorb the resin water effects? Do I need to seal the wood I am basing it on as well? If so what is the best way to do that? What is the best glue to put the cork on the wood, sealed or not?  
      ETA: 
      How do I fix the small hairline cracks in the cork (not sure if they're visible in the picture)? Kind of related but what is the best glue for plastic to wood (I'm going to be putting the wood on top of a painted Tropicana lid)?  

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416262521/scenic-resin-bases-for-28mm-tabletop-wargame-minia?ref=discovery

After a successful 1st kickstarter project earlier in the year I am back with a second.  
      This time I am looking to extend my existing range of 28mm scenic bases with 3 further lines. I already make bases as part of my business and have paved bases, lava bases etc. along with various bits of terrain in my range already. 
      Moonkraft is a fairly new start up and I am looking to add many many more goodies to what I already sell. I have a brain overflowing with ideas, the only trouble is deciding which to do 1st.  
      If you are like me and are a miniature painter and gamer, then you already know that a good base will give you miniature the finish you want and can really make or break a good bit of painting. Also this bit of modelling can be a little tedious and time consuming and if you are painting a new army those minutes soon add up and turn into hours.  
      I have created 3 new sets of bases, Rocky outcrops, Skulls and Rocks and my personal favourite Atlantian Temple Ruins. I need to raise just £500 for the moulding costs to produce all 3 of these sets of bases. which I will add to my growing range of terrain and bases. 
      The bases were sculpted by myself and I have made them in 3 sizes, 25mm, 30mm & 40mm so they should fit all the sizes you require.  
      The pictures don't do them justice.
      25mm Temple bases 30mm Temple Bases 40mm Temple Bases 25mm Skull & Rock Bases 30mm Skull & Rock Bases 40mm Skull & Rock Bases 25mm Rocky Outcrop Bases 30mm Rocky Outcrop Bases 40mm Rocky Outcrop Bases I do things the old fashioned way, no 3D printing or computer software, I build and sculpt, then I make moulds, then I cast. If necessary there may be a 2nd mould made to improve casting after any adjustments have been made, but this is a rarity as I am an old hand at the process.  
      The funds will be used for the silicone to make the molds (the expensive bit) and also go towards the resin. 
      Postage. We will be shipping the set out as soon as the funds come in and the prices are set to the following 3 zones: UK, Europe & Rest of World. Prices are based on Royal Mail to calculate the cost.
  • Who's Online   44 Members, 4 Anonymous, 162 Guests (See full list)