This thread is a place to share images of and ideas for materials to use on bases and dioramas.

Remember, no commercial links.

The goal is to share ideas and show what we have on hand.

INDEX

Aryanun's photo of basing supplies.

George's flock and grass thread.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-7586-0-57566100-1456819511_thumb.jpg

This is my model RR ballast box. I have several different colors. Mostly fine of extra fine grades (it comes in different sizes). Each little yellow bin contains a different colour or blend of colours.

In the long compartment on the left I store some scratch built tools that I use to pour tiny quantities of the stuff.

• Like 10

attachicon.gifIMG_0016x800.jpg

This is my model RR ballast box. I have several different colors. Mostly fine of extra fine grades (it comes in different sizes). Each little yellow bin contains a different colour or blend of colours.

In the long compartment on the left I store some scratch built tools that I use to pour tiny quantities of the stuff.

I really like this, Sounds like something worth picking up. You think most Model RR stores will have it?

attachicon.gif"http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=104095"IMG_0016x800.jpg[/url]

I really like this, Sounds like something worth picking up. You think most Model RR stores will have it?
All of them will.

It is probably worth mentioning what 'ballast' is.

trackgraphc.jpg

It is the gravel the track is embedded in.

Scale model RR gravel is available in at least three size grades. (Each size grade —there may be four— corresponds to a different RR scale, such as: O, HO, N, Z...) I am not exactly sure why RR construction engineers use the word 'ballast' for gravel but that is the proper term from Z scale all the way up to full-size trains.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

I just reorganized my paint area and after winning that second rack. Most of my bigger containers of basing materials are in the drawers, but I put all of my tufts, ivy, leaves, and bits inside my reaper paint caddy since it was sitting empty in my closet.

12718166_833639893431769_541911074854413

• Like 7

Scale model RR gravel is available in at least three size grades. (Each size grade —there may be four— corresponds to a different RR scale, such as: O, HO, N, Z...) I am not exactly sure why RR construction engineers use the word 'ballast' for gravel but that is the proper term from Z scale all the way up to full-size trains.

Material used to provide stability to a vehicle or structure. The ballast on track allows the track to flex a bit but keeps it in place without much maintenance much like the ballast in a ship keeps the bottom side down where it belongs.

• Like 6

I think most of what I could come up with is "known" things.

I have two things that might be useful to add, only. One is, besides looking at other modeling type (RR, historical) sections for basing and terrain materials, don't be afraid to look through *any* craft section and especially clearance. I use a lot of my scrapbooking tools for basing & terrain as well:

• scissors with shaped patterns,
  •  shaped hole punches (leaves, bricks, etc)
  • paper for textures, or 'wallpaper'
  • the specialized circle cutters
  • stencils

Beading and jewelry is also a natural section to peruse - especially clearance items, of course.

• jump rings - make great 'chains' or connections
  • chain
  • small seed beads, good for textures
  • jewelry tools - very useful for working with pinning using paperclips or whatnot

The other thing I would add, just off top of my head, as I work on my miniatures, I take almost every cutting, scraping, small piece, large piece or anything, really, left over, including sand, ballast or rock and throw it all in its own container. Then, when I need rubble paste - just add PVA and paint. Instant rubble for bases/terrains. Bigger or more interesting pieces I throw into their own container as well for odd bits in the base - structural membranes etc.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      I am looking for something to put on Grimtalon's base that will look like desert sand. I have found a few things but I am not sure how well they will work. I don't really want to spend 10$ for Citadel technical paints if at all possible. I thought Army Painter might have some but alas they do not.

I did find some Vallejo desert sand gel. Has anyone worked with this before? If so, how did it come out?

Are there other options I have not considered that might work? I'm still fairly new to basing so I want to put a little more effort than "winging it" for this.
    • By Kuroneko
      I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but I need to pick the brains of people with more terrain experience than myself. To be honest, that's pretty much everyone on the forum, but there you go! 

I've been experimenting with different water effects on bases because I'm planning a somewhat finicky deep pond effect on a particularly awesome mini coming in the Bones 5 Kickstarter. It's been an interesting journey/struggle/experience but this one particular one has flummoxed me because it manifested a full three weeks after the material had set. Here's a couple of pics. It was crystal clear before.

You can see the cloudiness, it appeared overnight on the base. It seems to follow the line of the second layer of the material. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? It was Secret Weapon Water Effects. 
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By ced1106
      Tiny Furniture's "Inserts 25mm - Village garbage" is a five-piece set of 1" circular garbage base inserts for your miniatures. They may also be used as terrain, objective markers, etc, with or without bases. Like Tiny Furniture's other miniatures, they have the high level of detail you expect, and can be painted easily by beginner players. Like Tiny Furniture's "Dungeon Garbage", the miniature bases have an assortment of garbage suitable for dungeons, city states, and villages. Each heap pile is a collection of smaller distinct items, so, like "Dungeon Garbage" you have the option of giving as much attention (and time) to the details as you would like. The bases are available unpainted. While I didn't see a painted version in the catalog, you can contact Tiny Furniture and see if a painted version is available.

The five bases have different garbage:
      * Rat with barrel, plate, and bone.
      * Chest with broken plate.
      * Broken wheel, urn, and skull.
      * Broken barrel bottom, wood, and urn.
      * Broken pottery and wood.

Color Scheme : Realistic and in the Background. Unlike Tiny Furniture's "Garbage Debris" miniature set, you may not want the garbage bases to be so demanding that they take the focus of the viewer's attention from the miniature on the base. This may result in the overall miniature and base looking too busy, as each element of the miniature and base is demanding the viewer's attention. At most, maybe the rat might be painted to be more noticeable by the viewer. Real garbage is a homogenous mess, typically brown, so I went with painting the miniature with that in mind, still painting the features differently if the viewer picks up the miniature to look at it closely. One of the photos has the "Garbage Debris" set next to the inserts.

Painting Tips. I primed in a brown colored primer, followed by a dark brown wash, such as Army Painter's Strong Tone wash. I then painted the wooden pieces the same brown color, more or less. Skulls and bones were painted ochre. Optionally, you can then drybrush or paint ochre as an undercoat for lighter or different colors. Besides paints, you can use washes for a faded coloring. Both the Army Painter and Secret Weapon Miniatures has a range of colored washes you can use. To unify the base, I then used a brown wash, Secret Weapon Miniature's Sewer Water. You can then edge-highlight wood, etc. with a lighter brown and ochre. For the rat, I painted it grey, with flesh tone paws and ears, then black for its eyes. To make the rat stand out a little, I did not wash it.

Conclusion. Most painters considering Tiny Furniture's "Inserts 25mm - Village garbage" are probably intermediate painters, but the set should be accessible to beginners with some terrain experience as well. The inserts can be used as garbage piles for a variety of other uses, such as objective markers, rough terrain, garbage piles, and so on.

• By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 

• Who's Online   22 Members, 4 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)