Gettin to Know Each Other - March 2016

Question the 3rd of March:  What is your preferred method of basing (paint the broccoli green, scenic resin, diorama/display, ect)?  What kind of base do you prefer your mini to come with (broccoli, square/round plastic, slotted tab, no base at all)?

Cut off the broccoli, create some sort of interesting base... I missed some opportunities on the last one I did (my little mushroom guy) but I plan to start incorporating more. Not a lot more, though... My minis are almost all intended for tabletop use, so getting fancy may look cool but isn't very practical for me. Still, I don't want to have a really cool mini with a boring, flat black base. I'm not a fan of the broccoli bases, tbh - they're hard for clumsy people like me to cut off without mucking up the mini's feet. :down:

Then don't cut them up. Sink them into one of these recessed bases and cover with putty:

74006_w_1.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....I'm not a fan of the broccoli bases, tbh - they're hard for clumsy people like me to cut off without mucking up the mini's feet. :down:

Then don't cut them up. Sink them into one of these recessed bases and cover with putty:

74006_w_1.jpg

That. That. That. A thousand times that.

OR!

Use the new Reaper bases that are completely hollow 'underneath'.

Flip them over.

A tiny dot of superglue, right in the middle, to secure.

Drop the broccoli in intact.

Carefully pour a superglue moat inside the wall of the base, in the areas the broccoli does not fill, and not on the minis' feet.

Pour sand, coffee grounds, dust, ash tray sand, sand painting sand, RR ballast, or some mixture of all that into the moat.

Go away. Get some fresh coffee. Post on the forum.

Return to the mini, topple it sideways, brush away the grains that did not stick (some won't) ...tap gently.

Done.

'Sculpted' natural looking base: paint and add flock to taste.

• Like 5

Question the 3rd of March:  What is your preferred method of basing (paint the broccoli green, scenic resin, diorama/display, ect)?  What kind of base do you prefer your mini to come with (broccoli, square/round plastic, slotted tab, no base at all)?

Preferred Method: Scenic for normal figures and I also love to build vignettes and dioramas for display.

Preferred Base: I much prefer square, non slotted. I will remove minis from their broccoli or tabs and then drill holes in their feet and pin/superglue to bases. As I said, I like scenic, so this to me is the best way to make sure that I can build/paint the base and paint the mini and then attach after so I don't have to worry about doing touchups of one and/or the other by painting already attached to the base.

• Like 6

MQ3: I want a base that will keep the mini upright, as the majority of the pieces I make are used in game, and I don't pretty up the base often.  I've got the Raging Barbarian (Reaper Part #03397), and while I love the sculpt, the piece is basically unusable because the blade throws off the balance of the character completely.  I really need to glue it to a base, but it would've been nice if it had a slotted tab that I could insert into a base to use, rather than needing to base it to make it work.

• Like 1

Bases! Woohoo!

I don't care what's on the mini out of the package, it's not no nevermind to me. I will, with metal minis, usually clip or saw off the integral base or slotta tab, then pin the feet to a base (either round lipped or square flat, depending on use). The base will then get one of three treatments: pumice paste and eventual flock/drybrush; greenstuff and HappySeppuku texturing; or full-on scenic, with cork and plants and whatnot.

Bones minis intended for use as foebeasts and NPCs will usually just get slapped on one of the round plastics from KS2, which will then be roughly textured with paint. The incorporated base of the mini itself will get painted up as part of the mini.

Larger monsters will get some combination of the above methods, usually on a wooden disc or a superglued stack of defunct CD's.

Generally, I prefer round bases, but I have a bunch of magnetic square bases which I'm using for adversarial minis.

• Like 4

I like all of my figs to have either a square or round plastic base so I'll either slap the fig onto one of those or use the slot base. I think I prefer the slot base by itself. Brocs don't bother me.

• Like 1

I replace the broccoli base 99% of the time. I vary a bit on base shape though. Sometimes I am in the mood for square, other times round. Giant Robot miniatures and space ships often wind up on Hexagons.

I have a large supply of basing supplies, ranging from green stuff and sculpey to pre-cast resin and plastic bases. I mix and match as it pleases me.

For miniatures, I usually prefer them with tabs for basing - It gives me an easy place to attach a handle while painting, and then cuts off easily when it's time to glue that sucker down to a base. Broccoli bases are by far my least favorite, because I either have to work them into my own basing, or do the work of cutting them away. (Lots of work in metal - not so much in Bones)

I quite enjoy basing. Of course, sometimes it runs away and takes over the project.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 6

Great looking mini!

I have been messing around with making textured bases with instant mold and green stuff.

Slap the instant mold on a texture I like  (such as the wooden floors from the Dwarven Forge thing) and then put some green stuff on a base put some water on it and smash it into the mold.

It's also easy to make custom little textures and whatnot using green stuff.

I also do stuff like add some Hirst art skulls to the base of my Reaper Bones Owlbear.

I am terrible at using the little flecks of various flocking stuff.  I just don't have the knack for it.

Edited by Caleb
  • Like 2

I don't have a preferred method of basing other than keeping it simple.

For board game minis, I tend to either use just sand or not bother with any basing at all.  Which one primarily depends on how I am differentiating the minis on the board.  In some cases, I paint details on the base to differentiate the units so don't do any basing as I need the base to be flat.  For example, when painting zombie miniatures, I painted a single stripe on the base to indicate the zombie had one action and two stripes to indicate it had two actions.  On the other hand, the Galaxy Defenders minis are differentiated by a different paint scheme on the model itself so I ended up putting sand on the base.

For other minis, I tend to either use my Happy Seppuku base stamps or to use sand and/or grass.  While they're not dioramas, for non board game minis, I do like the mini to look as if it is standing on something rather than just floating on a black disc.

CHICKEN!

You base your minis on a chicken!!   :wow:   :wow:   :wow:

You monster!!!!!! 

• Like 4

For me, it's all about the figure - I like to keep the bases unobtrusive, but not blank.  If its flat, add a little texture with glue or putty, then basecoat, drybrush, maybe a few accents, done.  Mostly colored in greys or browns.

I don't really have a preference on base shape/style.  I'll use the above technique on whatever base the figure comes with.

• Like 1

So, I'm on my phone, so the formatting will have to wait until I get home.

Question the 1st of March: How often do you modify a miniature prior to painting it; to what extent do you do so?

<Edited by TaleSpinner> I got you covered Dilvish.

I will occasionally do a head or weapon swap. Most recently I did some weapon swaps to turn townsfolk into thugs for Frostgrave; I'll see if I can get some pics later on when I'm home.

Pics!

5z2JaPc.jpg

Which conveniently enough shows off my most recent impulse purchase, a part from a Playmobil set that looks to make a great bit of terrain. Only two dollars!

• Like 8

I like a diorama/display style base for my miniatures. If I actually wargamed, I'd probably have a nice display with removable miniatures on their game appropriate bases.

Doesn't really matter as to what type of base the piece is sold with., though the broccoli bases can be a pain to remove.  I normally remove the base or tab and pin the miniature.

• Like 2

It all depends on what the mini is for, and what my vision of the finished project is.

In general, I prefer metal figures to have slotted bases; they're easy to cut off and pin, or sculpt groundwork over. Bones are, for the most part, easy enough to remove the base from if I so choose.

I've seen some absolutely gorgeous resin bases that I've looked at and wondered how the heck to get a mini anywhere on it.

This is my answer as well.

If I'm painting for a specific project, I usually make my own base for it from scratch or at least modify an existing base. The shape is generally determined by what looks best for the project.

For gaming, I'm not particularly particular - square, round, whatever... I don't do tabletop wargaming so I don't generally need all my bases to be of a specific size or shape.

And I'm definitely in agreement about some of the decorative bases - they're very pretty, but not always even remotely practical for mounting a miniature on sometimes.

As for broccoli vs tabs, I generally prefer tabs, but it really doesn't make a difference except as far as what I mount the mini on while painting it.

• Like 3