Sign in to follow this  
Heisler

New Blue Pigment Discovered

Coal tar chemistry in the 1800s in Germany, now Manganese in the 2000s in the US?

It's the start of a new industrial boom!1!!!1!

:bday:

It will be really interesting to see what it looks like in paint.

• Like 2

That's cool.

A "cool blue", it said. (See what you almost did there?)

I'd love to hear Anne weigh in. Will we see a YlnMn blue?

Article claimed "non-toxic" so it has that going for it.

YlnMn Blue doesn't have much of a ring to it, for a fantasy miniatures paint. **thinks** Yeti Mountain Blue sounds a little better...incorporates the Y and the M. Is there a Paints-We'd-Like-To-See thread?

• Like 6

Well, the article said that the license holders had an "exclusive" deal with the paint company. Seriously, I just read it and I've already forgotten it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, based on the exclusive thing, it seems unlikely. -_-

• Like 2

Well, the article said that the license holders had an "exclusive" deal with the paint company. Seriously, I just read it and I've already forgotten it. :rolleyes:

There is such a thing as companies that produce the pigments. They sell the pigments to other firms who blend and package paint for the retail market. It will depend on what sort of firm "Shepherd Color Company" is.

• Like 3

They appear to be a pigment company, not a paint company, and they expect to have the pigment available in commercial quantities later this year according to the article. Whether it's cost-effective or useful for mini painting remains to be seen, but it's at least possible that we'll see some neat new blues in the range. ::): 

• Like 2

Well, the article said that the license holders had an "exclusive" deal with the paint company. Seriously, I just read it and I've already forgotten it. :rolleyes:

There is such a thing as companies that produce the pigments. They sell the pigments to other firms who blend and package paint for the retail market. It will depend on what sort of firm "Shepherd Color Company" is.

That's what I get for reading when tired. :rolleyes: I thought it was a paint company.
  • Like 1

That's cool.

YlnMn Blue doesn't have much of a ring to it, for a fantasy miniatures paint. **thinks** Yeti Mountain Blue sounds a little better...incorporates the Y and the M. Is there a Paints-We'd-Like-To-See thread?

While not even close to the color, how about "Beaver Blue" cause well OR ST in all. :lol:

Oddly a few weeks ago on the OSU campus they discovered dino bones while excavating for a building project.

• Like 1

That's cool.

While not even close to the color, how about "Beaver Blue" cause well OR ST in all. :lol:

Oddly a few weeks ago on the OSU campus they discovered dino bones while excavating for a building project.

Were the bones blue in color? Were they Reaper BONES?

• Like 2