60049: Red Mantis Assassin

This was the first mini I'd ever painted.

This was a case where the amazing sculpt did all the work!  With this model, I was able to pick up 5 bottles of acrylic paint, a very cheap set of brushes, and end up with a mini I'm still very proud of today.  

What I learned: This mini was a simple base-coat and wash, with a tiny bit of dry brushing done on the eyes and buckles (with lots of repainting from failed attempts).  I didn't even have any reaper paints at the time... I used 4 Martha Stewart Acrylics (watered down a good deal).  It was metallic silver for the blades, satin black for the eyes and the clothing under the armor; satin dark grey for the arms/legs and cape; and satin maroon (mixed w/ a bit of silver to make it look like metal) for the armor plates.  I also tried to do a little shading with the cape (blending from black at the bottom to grey), but didn't get the hang of it.

The other main thing I learned with this mini was what a wash can do!  I really hated how the red was coming out after I did the base coat (3rd pic)... he looked so cartoon-ish.  I almost re-painted all the plates with a darker shade, but with some advice from a friend just did the wash instead.  That made all the difference.  I did a black wash on the entire figure, and everything just came alive.

To date, he is one of my favorites.  He's the reason I ended up supporting the Bones I Kickstarter, because he taught me that I CAN DO THIS!!!  I thought of myself as the kid who gave up on art in 6th grade, with "no talent" and even less creativity.  But with some prodding from my wife (an artist by trade) and a read through of "The Artist's Way", I didn't let that excuse keep me from trying.  Now, three Kickstarters and about 100 bottles of reaper paints, I've come to love this hobby!

post-14784-0-59236500-1456987353.png

post-14784-0-21046200-1456987354.png

post-14784-0-60022600-1456987917.png

• Like 20
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic