I recently started watching the series "Vikings" and love the idea of shield maidens.  Of course, the only thing that could make a shield maiden cooler is to have  shield maiden who's a Halfling  :=)

I went for leather armor with chain mail pieces across the...chest areas...and hanging from the waistline.  I also did thin lines to show that the shield is made of separate planks of wood.  Since taking these pictures, I've made her feet slightly larger (because she's a Halfling after all) and I redid her right thumb.

Comments, critiques, and kudos always welcome!

post-13795-0-47451700-1457320855_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-46878100-1457320864_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks for the feedback, Leader of the Rats!  Interesting name, by the way.

I had actually debated whether go with hairy bare feet for her since she's a Halfling, but felt she needed the furred boots to go with the Viking look I had envisioned.

I'll throw some paint on her soon and display her in the show off section  :=)

• Like 1

I've got a few things I'm working up that are more time intensive, so I'm still pushing myself and my skills, have no fear  ;=)

Glad you enjoy her, though.  I actually sculpted her over an armature I'd done and thrown some GS on and then just never used, so the sculpting time once I got the idea was about 2 days total.  I also used it as a chance to work on my discipline for not nudging my fingers into still uncured sections while working on a new section.  She ended up fingerprint free, so I'm quite proud of myself!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      The City Watch. Charged with lantern and truncheon to keep the peace and vigilantly guard against threats thereunto. Again, I'm a sucker for the buckled slouch hats and the shoulder-draping collar.

Midlam's Halflings again, featuring Kate Redhanded:

more angles:

...and Clubbo Drubbins. Can't say I did such a good job on his lighting as on Kate's, but can for sure say I've done worse. 

Bringing light into dark places:

"Halt! Who goes there!"

And a whole crowd of citizens ready to deal with thieves, spies, monsters, witches, or rat-men. 

(Guest appearances by Abram Duskwalker and Mira, Damaris Duskwarden, Sheriff Drumfasser, and the Gravedigger.)
    • By Rigel
      Let's meet Will Chandler, Midlam's halfling candlestick-maker. (Strictly I think a candlestick maker is a silversmith or pewtersmith rather than a chandler, but I don't work for Midlam and this sculpt is too good and evocative to complain!) So much character on display. This one is an exercise in OSL, having no fewer than four light sources, and I can't pretend to have done it much justice with painting; those candle stubs are tiny. Am happy with the lighting on one or two pictures though!

An uncanny encounter after dark:

With a few other citizens
    • By Citrine
      Here is some delightful halflings from the Townfolk #4 set from Midlam Miniatures.  I love these guys and managed to finish 1 a day in December.

Halfling Blacksmith (SKU HTC30), Halfling Butcher (SKU HTC17), Halfling Baker (SKU HTC18) and Halfling Herald (SKU HTC24)

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all.  Another entry in my winter-themed minis.  This guy was intended to serve as the BBEG in my Frostrun campaign.  Kriger was the descendant of a greedy half-giant king who's line had been cursed to undeath.  Kriger sought to lead an army of Draugr and vikings to reclaim his family throne.  This "chaos warrior" model from Bones 4 was perfect.

More Below the Spoiler:

I really like how this guy turned out.  He was one of those minis where I really pushed myself and tried some different things.  I think it shows.  Hopefully I'll get to continue his story, and return to my Frostrun game.  Maybe by then I'll have found some suitable viking-esque warriors to accompany him.

For more of my winter minis, check out my Frostrun Project HERE.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Today I wanted to show off some cheap 54mm Vikings that I painted up as Frost Giants.

I made these guys close to a year ago, and they were among some of the first larger sized minis I had worked on, so they're a little rough, and that's before looking at the quality of model, but if someone else is in need of a lot of giants like I was, then this might be useful to them!

So these guys are from Tehnolog, a Russian miniatures company that I know very little about.  The minis are made out of a soft plastic like novelty toys you can buy with tickets at an arcade.  They also have abysmal detail.

They're meant for 54mm wargaming, and I believe there's an intended game system that accompanies the line, but my goal was to get some cheap giants for D&D.

They fit nicely on a 2in base, and could probably fit in with the smaller Reaper Bones giants, but they're definitely a little undersized.  I remedied this by giving them each a boosted base, with the leader getting two layers.  At a glance, they tower over a standard medium sized mini.

The details were rough and there were some ugly mold lines here and there.  But they're serviceable.  They might work better as a half-giant if you want to use 5e's Huge Frost Giants.

More pictures of each giant below the Spoiler:

Tehnolog also has a few other lines of fantasy-esque minis if you're a fan of cheap minis.  I am still considering getting one of their other lines to convert into cheap-o Fire Giants.

What's your favorite obscure miniature substitute?

• Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)