Basing preference: Plain or detailed?

Blackhawk

Anything done to the base makes the figure all that much better on the gaming table I think.  Even something simple can really make it seem more realistic.  You only need to keep in mind the limitations of keeping the base sized for your battle map (be it hexes or squares).  Some GMs are VERY unbending on the base size and it MUST fit in the space with no overlap.  When I GM I'm not worried to much with some overlap.  But then again, I'm normally the person painting the miniatures for the players also.

Yeah, sometimes when a figure has an integral (FLAT, FEATURELESS) base, and there's no way to do anything with it without turning the whole task into a huge ordeal, I'll make a compromise by just painting the flat surface a mid-tone grey, then applying some washes of dirty green, brown-grey, and sometimes a touch of rust, to give the base surface a "stained concrete" look and thus break up the flatness.  It won't win any contests, but for me at least, it feels like now it looks like I "did something," and didn't simply forget the base.  :)

I've done this myself, a number of times. Certain bases have an integral "bumpiness," a texture like tiny bumps, meant to give tooth to the glue, that when painted gray and stained, looks like stone. You can even dry brush them a little.

Wargames Factory's zombie hordes are all slotless minis with flat feet that come with round, bumpy bases of this sort. You can glue them straight to the base with no pinning, and they basically never come off. You can do a dozen at a time and speed paint them and the bases will all end up looking like concrete.

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, it comes down to what YOU, as the painter, like. (Unless you are painting for a client)

I base everything with something, be it flock, static grass, sand, or more recently, Resin scenic bases.

I backed the recent Happy Seppuku KS, so I expect to be doing more with scenic bases in the near future as well...

George

And like you, I have been putting at least static grass on bases since the 80s....

Good choice with the Happy Sepukku.  I backed their first Kickstarter.  That is one of their forms on the Hellborn I posted.

• Like 2

Getting ready to lock in my pledge. It was so long ago I didn't even remember what we wanted.  It seems I checked the 2" bases, but my needs have changed and I'm reconsidering. 

If you had $10 to play with, what would you add? 

I was looking at the clear wings and such and kind of wishing for clear bases, too.  The flat rounds could be used to represent flying or invisible figures during a game...

I couldn't find where I'd mentioned it before and this seemed like the best place to do it, sorry! It seemed like a few wargaming groups liked it - I really like how you can see the game board underneath.

The big river/warrior lady place sells "Epoxy Stickers for Bottle Cap Pendants" that are 1" clear circles. They aren't particularly thick, but they are very cheap. If you've ever seen the bottle cap pendants/keychains at cons, you'll have an idea of it.

I did see that one company sells pretty thick, clear bases, but some sturdy ones from Reaper would be fantastic too. ::):

• Like 1

First off, OP, what are trying to do? Start a religious war? Might as well asked DC vs. Marvel, or Star Wars vs. Star Trek. ::D:

For me I do as little with a base as possible.  Mostly because the majority of the time I find painting to be a chore.  My bases are generally a little bit of acrylic gel medium, some sand, earth tone, and depending on what I'm doing, flock.  My Dreadball figures all have flat black bases because it seemed to fit better.  If I ever get around to paining my Imperial Assault figures they'll probably get the same.  If it's something I'm painting just for the sake of painting I'll get a little fancier, but not much.  Just enough to help set the tone for the figure.  As far as shape goes, I'm fairly impartial. 

Mechs, starships, aircraft, and hover tanks get hexes, mostly because games with them tend to call for hexes.  6mm sci-fi gets rectangles.  28mm and 15mm figures on rounds. Fantasy figures when I paint them tend to get whatever I grab first.  I vacillate between square and round on those depending on if they're intended for a game that requires squares or not.  If I'm doing a display figure it'll probably be on a largish square for the figure so I have room to build the scene like I did with my Biker Chick Sophie.  Even that one is just a flat square with a green stuff road surface and a gel medium/sand shoulder and dirt.  But then there's my dragon that is just on a stained wooden round plaque.  I've never done a really complex base or even used a plinth or anything like that. I have tons of left over cork that could be used, but can't seem to be bothered to do so.  Of course, I haven't painted anything to completion in a really long time.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch